I have had this kit sitting at the house for more than a month and just got to mounting some sheds on it. So, here is my honest review with pics.
First thing first, having two skull options is great. It comes with one skull option for smaller antlers and another for larger.
Right off the bat, I realized a grinder was going to work far better than trying to cut and angle the bases with a hacksaw or file. I think anyone doing this will save themselves lots of hassle and trouble to have a grinder to work the bases.
I found that the skull piece that the antlers mount on are not quite the same angle as most of my mule deer skulls. So, to get the antlers to sit properly on the skull and look most natural, I had to grind the bases off on an angle, rather than just cut them off. You will see in my 3rd photo below of the bases I had trimmed them off parallel to the burr, but found that they just don't look right like that, and had to grind them off on an angle. (NOTE: I didn't lose any of the burr)
Once I had them angled off as I felt they should be to sit correctly on the skull piece, I positioned and drilled holes. On this, I would recommend you have someone help to hold the antler in place as you drill. I found it to be a bit of a trick, but I got it.
Once holes are drilled and screws snug, you adjust the antlers just right and tighten them tight. Then, secure the lower skull piece to the upper.
The bottom photo is the finished product. Looks real good.
My final thought is that I wish they had a skull designed specifically for mule deer. I think the angle of the burrs could better match that of a big mule deer and the width of the burrs on the skull piece. The burrs on the skull piece are an inch narrower than the burrs on the bigger deer skulls I have here at the house. And we all like width and want all that we think we should have.
Watch for a review of the Elk Mounting Kit soon. Browtine is supposed to do that.