+ one on quail over dove!
That being said, I have been fortunate enough to meet friends of friends with dairy's over the past several years, and have hence been doing much more dove killing than I used to (That combined with the Eurasian Dove population here in AZ, which IMO is one of the best things to happen to AZ dove hunting in a long time! lol).
Anyway, here's my go-to for doves these days:
- Fillet the breasts (two bite sized chunks of meat off each bird).
- Pat them dry, then season generously with any of your favorite (Garlic Pepper is nice, Seasoned Salt, Red Pepper, what-ever...).
- Wrap with a piece of thick-cut bacon. I use about 1/3 of a strip per bird. Kind of stretch it out around the breast. (I get mine from the butcher counter at the grocery store).
- Skewer 4 or 5 breasts per stick on those wooden grilling sticks.
- Grill those babies up over any good hot fire, charcoal or gas.
- Chow down!
I of course would NOT pretend that I came-up with the above method. Simple 'bacon wrapped' anything on the grill thinking... This of course proves the old adage that, 'anything tastes good wrapped in bacon'!!
I have a vacuum sealer and will vacuum seal them 4 sticks to a package and freeze them. My buddies LOVE them when I break them out at deer or elk camp.