7mm-08 thoughts

JimNv

Looking for some thoughts and opinions on this cartridge for an AR-10 build. I have some parts I've been kicking around for a couple of years and want something not .308 or 6.5 CM. I have 308's, a 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC. 7mm-08 looks good because it's gaining popularity and cartridges and bullets are becoming more readily available.

Nothing to think about really, been shooting one for a long time. I've killed 23 elk with mine, seen about that same number shot with one. Ranges on elk from 70 yards to 620. Boatloads of deer pronghorn, a couple black bears, a bighorn ram, etc.

Kills above it's weight class, easy to shoot, modest price for reloading. Shoot 140 accubonds 43.0 grains of varget...2850 fps in mine.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0451.JPG[img]

Last edited:
It's a great round but you already have several VERY similar calibers. If you want it, go for it but it isn't going to do anything that your others won't.
This is true. Been looking at some other calibers. 338 federal looks interesting. Necked up .308. Carries a pretty good punch. 300 WSM looks good as well. big punch, longer reach. Pricey rounds. Son has the dies for it so reloading wouldn't be an issue.

Awesome round , my daughters and wife all shoot the 7mm - o8. It used to be used by the silhouette shooters , very accurate with H or IMR 4350 with 140 accubonds

Got my nephew involved who's built over a dozen AR's of all different calibers. DaveD pointed out that the 7mm08 is kind of in the same family as the calibers I have listed. With that, going to go with the 338 Federal. A little beefier than what I have and he's never put one together. Figured it would be a fun build with my favorite nephew. That said, I have my eyes peeled for a 7mm 08. I have 4 .308's so I can surrender a couple of those and get that one. I do like the things I hear about that caliber. 6.5-06 is looking pretty tasty as well. Once we get the thing put together (.338 Fed), I'll post results and pics. Great input guys. Appreciate it very much.

Way back in 1977 I hunted caribou in Alaska with a guy who had one. It was certainly a cool wildcat back then.
I've "calibered" all around the 7-08 but never built one....yet.

Zeke
The best round ever made for most situations worldwide is the 7 MM REM Mag- it answers all boxes to check positive! Using proper bullets, Nosler Partitions, it’s a Bolt of Lightning anywhere in the world 🌎. Used it since ‘72, stake my life on it. 😇 REM Model 700 & big variable Burris Scope & Harris Adj Bipod.
Just my opinion- but backed by experiences too.
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado 😁🍀

The best round ever made for most situations worldwide is the 7 MM REM Mag- it answers all boxes to check positive! Using proper bullets, Nosler Partitions, it’s a Bolt of Lightning anywhere in the world 🌎. Used it since ‘72, stake my life on it. 😇 REM Model 700 & big variable Burris Scope & Harris Adj Bipod.
Just my opinion- but backed by experiences too.
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado 😁🍀
Uh….this thread is about 7mm-08…..

Uh….this thread is about 7mm-08…..
Just my opinion- I feel the 7 REM Mag is much superior to the 7 MM- 08 due to much larger case capacity & ability to handle much larger bullets on larger game. True- a good muzzle break is warranted on 7 REM Mag . My best load is the 140-150 grain Nosler Partitions smoking out the barrel at 3,100-3,200 FPS - a true lightning bolt ! 😁🍀😇
Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado

Just my opinion- I feel the 7 REM Mag is much superior to the 7 MM- 08 due to much larger case capacity & ability to handle much larger bullets on larger game. True- a good muzzle break is warranted on 7 REM Mag . My best load is the 140-150 grain Nosler Partitions smoking out the barrel at 3,100-3,200 FPS - a true lightning bolt ! 😁🍀😇
Thanks Mr. Obvious....

Thanks Mr. Obvious....
Handle much larger bullets? 140-150grain bullets shoot just fine out of a 7-08. All that extra powder gets you a couple hundred extra yards of effective range, but I’d hope if you’re looking past 7-08 range you’d choose something with a better BC than a partition.

If what would be essentially a single shot auto loader is your idea of fun, then yes, I’m sure it would be. Belts are bad enough in bolt guns.
The thread was about AR’s. Manny decided to make it about belted mags, thus deserving of a subtle dig.

You need to tune up your sarcasm detector.

Got my nephew involved who's built over a dozen AR's of all different calibers. DaveD pointed out that the 7mm08 is kind of in the same family as the calibers I have listed. With that, going to go with the 338 Federal. A little beefier than what I have and he's never put one together. Figured it would be a fun build with my favorite nephew. That said, I have my eyes peeled for a 7mm 08. I have 4 .308's so I can surrender a couple of those and get that one. I do like the things I hear about that caliber. 6.5-06 is looking pretty tasty as well. Once we get the thing put together (.338 Fed), I'll post results and pics. Great input guys. Appreciate it very much.
My father in law and I have been playing with a 6.5-06 lately. Shooting 140 grain sst projectiles right at 3000 fps with R22. Fun little gun for sure.

Like many have said, I don’t think you’re gaining any ground by going 7/08. Depending on its intended usage I would opt to go the other direction towards a 6 creed. Good varmint, antelope, and deer gun. Great ballistics and less powder burn.

Like many have said, I don’t think you’re gaining any ground by going 7/08. Depending on its intended usage I would opt to go the other direction towards a 6 creed. Good varmint, antelope, and deer gun. Great ballistics and less powder burn.
It's an AR10 build......it just needs to function and go boom....and be different....I think it is a great idea....

So to keep this on the AR10 track, I am liking the 338 Federal option. Different, powerful enough to take most things you want to shoot within a reasonable range. The ammo can be difficult to procure, but I have reloading equipment and can make do. The largest most irritating problem I have is that I have shelved my components about 3 years ago and literally cannot find my lower and upper. F Bomb! We are redoing a bunch of stuff in the house and hopefully find where I stowed them. SMH.

I do appreciate the enthusiasm on this though.

So to keep this on the AR10 track, I am liking the 338 Federal option. Different, powerful enough to take most things you want to shoot within a reasonable range. The ammo can be difficult to procure, but I have reloading equipment and can make do. The largest most irritating problem I have is that I have shelved my components about 3 years ago and literally cannot find my lower and upper. F Bomb! We are redoing a bunch of stuff in the house and hopefully find where I stowed them. SMH.

I do appreciate the enthusiasm on this though.

That’ll get you started at a good price. All my 338 federal brass is 308 win stamped.

I bought one in Ruger American as a kids gun, mostly because Newberg spoke so highly of it.

I was, SKEPTICAL.

The biggest elk in my house, was with that gun. Few good 4x4 too.

Now the youngest is taking it over, and honestly, it's changed my thinking on "little" guns.

The .300 win my oldest shoots is nice with the muzzle break, but loud as hell.

My youngest is talking 6.5 in a nicer gun down the road, and I'm not arguing.

Fun to shoot is a big deal

Looking for some thoughts and opinions on this cartridge for an AR-10 build. I have some parts I've been kicking around for a couple of years and want something not .308 or 6.5 CM. I have 308's, a 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC. 7mm-08 looks good because it's gaining popularity and cartridges and bullets are becoming more readily available.
I mean it does fill the gap between the 308 and the 6.5 if you feel it is necessary. But why? 6.5 will do all of it as will 308. It is a quality round for sure.

So many great cartridges, so little time!!!

Zeke

PS; I've met damn few cartridges I didn't like.
I've met a few rifles that I wish I could un-meet, however.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting" Col TW.

The Col was right Zeke. We can put up with a whole lot if that thing puts a hole in what we point it. If it doesn’t, there’s nothing more to talk about.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom