Alaska 2025

jgriffin82

I am in the planning stages of an Alaskan moose and caribou hunt for 2025. I'll be going DIY with a couple buddies. This will be my first time in AK and my first time flying into a hunting camp. We're going to hunt the western end of the Brooks Range in the De Long Mountains. We'll be flying into Kotzebue and will head north from there. I have compiled a small list of bush pilots in Kotzebue via the internet. I'd like to get advice from the guys that have first hand experience with pilots in Kotzebue. I have a friend that has done this exact hunt 5 times. Unfortunately, the last time he did it was in 2001 and the pilot he used is no longer flying. Can you guys offer some advice and/or recommendations? Are there certain pilots or taxi services I should stay away from? What questions should I ask? What red flags should I look for when talking to the pilots on the phone? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jim

Regal air look up there current track records. Flying is probably the most dangerous part of the hunt so I would suggest not flying with them but also I’m not sure if they charter in that area.

I would fly with golden eagle if I were to fly out of kotz. But to be fair they had a pilot and passenger die leaving a spring bear camp in 2023.

Make sure your life insurance is all paid up. Chit happens!

I'll be looking for another unit. The unit I was planning for, is no good. There aren't any NR moose licenses available. Looks like there were federal restrictions put into places in 2022 due to population concerns. Should've started planning by reading the regs.

There’s still moose hunting out that way. Wouldn’t want to know how much it would cost to get that meat home though 😬

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom