Antelope - Point Burn Round 2

buckskol14

After burning 17 points on a bull tag last year without connecting and watching the rest of his party fill theirs, my dad looks to go round two in CO. He is hoping for a shot at redemption by turning in his 18 points on antelope this year with his brother, but are going into the draw with worries about winter kill in the NW and lack of knowledge of options in the East. My eyes are then drawn to the areas surrounding Walden. With a lot of BLM with moderate splattering of ranches, it looks promising. We will most likely stick to public land, but are not ruling out private if it is an option. Does anyone have insight on this part of the state? Or is the NW worth a look at still? Any and all opinions are appreciated

Last edited:
The Walden area / north park is nice. Could parlay a fishing trip or two after you punch a tag , or for a break. Suppose you ought to decide quick about a guide? , And going private if that’s even possible?
Another bowl of Tag soup after twenty years would suck!

We saw a few herds of antelope just north and east of Walden, south of the sand dunes. I can not say that I seen any big bucks but I am sure you would have a decent hunt. We were looking for deer so maybe it is even better than what we seen.

The Walden area / north park is nice. Could parlay a fishing trip or two after you punch a tag , or for a break. Suppose you ought to decide quick about a guide? , And going private if that’s even possible?
Another bowl of Tag soup after twenty years would suck!
No kidding! The camp cooler full of Coors would quickly be in trouble if that became the case...

Doubtful around Walden you will find many or ANY B&C caliber bucks unless you were on private and even that might be stretch.

Doubtful around Walden you will find many or ANY B&C caliber bucks unless you were on private and even that might be stretch.
Accurate assessment there ! In 1995 when area was really loaded with antelope, my wife drew a tag south of Walden, I scouted 2 full weeks there- hard ! In August ! I lucked out & found her 1 big buck on BLM Land- he was a dandy, only 1 big one I found . I noted that private lands had some good bucks ! My wife got that big buck 10/1 ‘95 & he final netted 84 B/C. A super thrilling hunt & shot ! She nailed him 1 shot.
Last time I went thru Walden I made short trip around those areas I scouted, very very few
antelope compared to ‘95- Winter Kills have hit that area hard ! So beware of that entire area !
Best Wishes,
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado 😁🍀

4 buddies and I absolutely scoured the Walden units last year, good luck finding anything over 75.
Go south

It takes some work to find 80" antelope in the best units in the world.... it's not an easy task anywhere...

Colorado has only had 10 entered in B&C since 2020, so that's a pretty tall order finding one here... 5 above 82"

Jackson County had 3 of the 10...which is the most of any county during the time frame...

Last edited:

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom