area 101 cow elk info

N

nvjeepster05

well i have a friend who made a mistake and put in for one of those ** cow elk hunts by mistake.he want to make the most of it and is hoping someone might know were to start looking for elk in this area.the hunt is in september he knows there arent many elk and most of the land is private.but any info would be helpful.thanks again

In 2005 when we were in that area deer hunting, very early one morning we had some Elk coming across road 229 at the southern end of the East Humbolts. Check your maps close, I think 104 is on the south side of 229. The north is 101 and was BLM out there to the base I think, again check your maps close. Good luck.

Brian

for this hunt i would 102 the elk are usually out in the pivots and you can watch them to see were they go to bed. I have the same tag but the late season

Had late archery in 04 and saw old elk sign within a mile of where kilowatt saw his. Not much for elk country and they don't want any in there according to F&G. I think the E humbolts are 102 though. Hunted the high country south of Lamoille Canyon to Mohogany Canyon in 05. Early rifle. No bugles, no sign. For what its worth.

East Humbolt Mountains are with the following: I-80 on the north, Hwy 229 down the west side from Halleck through Secret Pass to the turn off heading East on 229 to the Junction of 93. This is Unit 101.
The Rubies are in 102 which goes to Harrison Pass.

Brian

in my opinion, that is the best tag to have in area 10 for elk becasue it is during the bugle. any elk in the area should be vocal so do some calling. in '04, i had an archery deer tag up there in august and heard quite a few of them talking then. we hunted secret pass and apparently some of the other deer hunters had seen some elk in there. i dont know if theyre there anymore but call call call to at the very least locate animals and then you will know if you are in the right area or not. good luck, ill be hunting cow elk down south in 222. it took me 3 points to get the tag (whats up with that, i got 3 cow tags the first 4 years i applied?!) but im going to take a week and make the most of the hunt.

Happy Hunting

spend some time glassing off of 93 between Clover valley and 229, I had a bull tag, and durring my scouting I saw a lot of cows over there. I killed a 320" bull a couple weeks ago on the north side of Secret Pass, but never saw a cow. I did see some on the south side of the road. Stop and talk to Jared Sorenson.
The elk have not been in Neff's pivots this summer, so it will do you no good to sit on them. do some road hunting down around the marshes, and over Overland pass. Don't count on aany of that bulls gone wild stuff durring the rut. most of these bulls forgot how to bugle when they got lost in area 10.

NVMDF

Shon,
Congrats to you on the Bull, where is the pictures buddy? Will be there in town in 4 weeks from right now.

Brian

Like the guy said a couple of posts up I saw a spike bull up near secret pass while I was on the bow hunt didnt see any cows. It was really weird too every time I was him he was running with 3 does, anyone ever see deer and elk run together, I was under the impression that deer hated elk.

And as a side note, buy a cat tag, they are EVERYWHERE up there, especially in the PJ's right around Harrison. It would be doing everyone a favor.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom