binoculars question

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
my dad and i need a good pair of carry binoculars what should we get? we have the docters that i am going to carry( dont know if he knows that or not but he does now) and but now we need another pair of decent binocs for him to carry around his neck. i was thinkin under 200. what is ur vote? my taxidermist told me her bought steiners for 200 or 250 and that they are the best glasses hes ever had for the price, comments? thanx
casey

Try looking at a pair of Alpens, I recently bought a pair and have loved them. I purchesed the 10x42 SE's for 189.00, they are very clear and great in the low light.

There's no shortage of opinions on binoculars on this forum or times the subject has come up. I suggest you use the search engine and you should find a whole bunch of info. I checked out Letica, Nikon, Steiner, Zeiss and Pentax. The best I found for the money and for what I wanted were some 10x42 Pentax DCF WP (waterproof to 1 meter). Purchased them thru a place in New York via e-bay, called Camerland and I think the cost was $300. I couldn't be happier with em.

Don't scrimp too much on the cost, good optics are easier on your eyes and you can spend a lot more time glassing, least that's what I've found. Better off with a good $300 pair than a pair for $189 that you'll eventually replace when you do have the bucks. Good luck on your choice.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-03 AT 06:09AM (MST)[p] Im a Zeiss man BUT I bought a pair of 10x30 windrivers about 7 years ago and they are an excellent bino for about $120.00. Call leupold and see if they still make them...

I can't get Steiners to not have two circles of view in the eyepiece. If that makes sense. No matter how I adjust them there is not one round circle I am looking at but two. It makes me sick to my stomach after a while. My buddy has a pair and swears by them but I don't like them. I really like my Wind Rivers but recently splurged on a pair of Swarovski's. There is no comparison but the cost is to damn much. Oh well its a once in a lifetime purchase.
Shane

Shane,
Yes they are expensive but in the long run they will pay for themselves. Got the Swarovski Bino's almost two years ago and earlier this year bought the spotter STS model it was hard to pay that price but I can now see something out there a lot better.

Brian

I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB's for my dad earlier this year. BearBasin still has them on sale (listed in red). These are the best deal that I could find.

http://www.bearbasin.com/binocs.htm#nikon_binocs

I have a Alpen spotting scope that is the biggest POS that I've ever owened, tasco makes better stuff IMO. I had it about a year and it went foggy, oh and the warranty was only a year long. I would stick with companies that have a tried and true warranty and customer service...

Ivan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom