Cleaning your optics.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
Sometimes when I clean my optics it seems that I get a film on them. How do you guys clean your optics? What will hurt them and what won't? fatrooster.

Hey fatrooster what do you use to clean it , and do you use water ? It might be internal moisture I got that on mine because I used water to clean it . Its not a good idea I just use the soft cloth I got with the binos , and do a circular clean with the cloth cleans all smears. These were just bushnells 12x50 that are $70 . So I took the ones back that had the internal moisture , and just got the same model for trade . So now I never use water to clean .Just the cloth.

later , hunter cameron

I blow the big stuff off with my mouth in the field or an air bulb when home. I then use a good quality camera brush (not a lens pen), followed by a couple of Zeiss pre-moistened lens cloths. The lens cloths can be purchased at Wal-Mart for about $3.00 for a pack of 50 and work slick as can be.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-04 AT 08:49AM (MST)[p]I recently bought Swarovski 10x42 SLC's. Being very concerned about not scratching the glass, I bought the Swarovski cleaning system. In my opinion, this system is about useless. It is some kind of fluid in a small spray bottle plus a package of lens wipes. The wipes remind me of tracing paper, not soft or absorbant at all. The result is that you simply end up smearing the liquid from the spray bottle all over the glass and can't remove it.

Has anybody had any better luck?

Mark

This subject was brought up a year or so ago and talked about at great length. That thread probably has gone by the "file 13" by now.
But from what I gathered in those threads and have changed to this way of doing the scopes,binos, and spotter.
First use a Small Bulb Asperator(sp?)you can buy them in any camera store and they also have a lens brush on them as well.
Hold the item to clean up with the lens to clean facing DOWNWARD, blow the dirt/dust off first. Then with the lens brush very lightly brush the lens. Then use to Lens Papers that you can also get in Camera store and clean them up.
I also have a Swarovski Lens cleaning cloth as a final cleaner.

Hope this helps, maybe some of those that posted before will see this again and respond as well.

Brian

I am using the same method that Familyman is using with the swarovski cleaning pack. And it seems to leave smears. I will try the bulb and brush and swarovski cloth technique. Thanks. fatrooster.

Those Zeiss pre-moistened cleaning wipes are useless. You can see better with dusty lens than you can after wiping that crap on your $1,000 optics.

fatrooster,

I found a product that seems to work well. It's called SEE CLEAR. It's pre-moistened lens cleaning tissue. They come in individually wrapped foil pouches. So you can throw a couple in your day pack. I bought them at Costco. It's good for cameras, binos, eyeglasses, etc.

Get one of those bulb things with a brush as mentioned above.Very important. Then use one of the SEE CLEAR. They are non-abrasive and dry instantly because it contains alcohol. There is 80 in a box for about $6.00.

I've used them on my Zeiss binos for a couple years now and they are crystal clear still.

Steve

These are the same ones I use and have been using and work great since I also wear glasses. Keep them in the truck, gun cleaning case etc.
Use to use ones made by Baush & Lomb(sp?) when I was still working.

Brian

I have been using the leupold pen for a couple of years now and after trying different systems, I have found this is working best for me. It leaves my glass film free and is very lite so I carry it with me while I hunt.

Nobody does the good old steam from the mouth and wiping it off with your shirt trick? I know you're going to say this is a sin, but what else do you got when you're out in the field.

I have had a pair of Swarovskis for over 15 years, the first thing I did when I bought them was throw away the lens covers and the box. I use my rainsoaked wool shirt to clean them if thats what I have, mabey some toilet tissue, I have used candy wrappers and newspaper. I figure the time I saved looking for the lens tissue to clean them properly (1,247,981 times) has saved me a few weeks of time which I plan to use on a moose hunt in the future. I sent them back to Swarovski last year for a checkup and they sent back a nice little pamphlet on how to properly clean the lenses. (along with some lens tissue) I have compared the same binocs sided by side with flawless (not scratched) lenses. I can tell no difference.
I DO use proper lens cleaning techniques on my video equipment as dust and scratches WILL show up on DV footage. I also attatch clear filters over my video lenses to "take the fall" if a scratch does happen.
I think the upper end binocs should have the same threads on the larger objective that you can screw in $5.00 filters you can toss once a year if they need it. They could also make UV and polarized filters.
So if anyone out there is a Swaro rep (or zeiss, or Leica) and you want to make some prototypes I will be glad to field test them for you (Free of charge too!)
When I film in the New Mexico red dust I constantly use compressed (bottled) air to initially blow of a video lens before I wipe it. Its very powerful and effective. You can get it in electronic and photography stores. Wish I had though of selling air in a can!

Red dust..in New Mexico!?!?!?!:eek:
Just kidding.

What a brutal enviorment to keep weapons, optics and gear clean.

Yes, compressed cans of air is the only way to go.

And don't use the pad end of lens pens people!! Use the brush, if you don't have access to a can of compressed air. But for the love of Pete, don't rub all of that dirt and grime onto your glass and coatings with the pad on the lens pen!!

I've been using a lens pen since they were introduced. They've never put a scratch on any of my lenses. Used properly it is all you need. It is light enough and small enough to put in the fanny pack to boot.

bowhuntnnut,
hate to disagree with you, but I do.

The pad on the lens pen picks up sand, grit, and every unholy material known and unknown to man. You are literally grinding that stuff into your scope lens.
It does scratch your coatings and glass.

The brush end is cool, but the pad is bad mojo.

In the truck I have compressed air IN the can just like I use on the computor boards, it really does the trick for cleaning all the dust off then use a soft (lens) rag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom