Debt Free

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
So being debt free as of today ! 65 years old and no bills. Bought a truck cash too. So much tech it will take a while to learn it all. It's a 2012 F-350 SD 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat 156" WB Styleside 6.7 V-8 6 speed auto trans with 56,000 miles. Air bags, flex fold tonneau cover and added a DVD with backseat screens, electric running boards, Aluminum wheels , electric fold rewr view mirrors etc. I know the turbo on those had some troubles but this hasn't even towed anything. No tuner has been used which I wouldn't want , buy hasn't had a delete which is nice but the feds are after that. Idaho doesn't have a law against it but the federal law is.
IMG_20240214_184311.jpg

Hey DM?

Were They Willing To Deal Where You Had Cash?
No, they wouldn't budge. They had the extras listed that the owner put on including the 55 gal Titan Gas tank. I couldn't find one cleaner. But a suckered is born every day , lol. I felt good about it and have a Car Fax . It scored 94.

Congratulations!!! On retirement and the truck.
If you really want to feel overwhelmed trade that truck in for a 2024. 🤣🤣🤣
Feels like sitting in an airplane cockpit.

Nice truck. I retired when the wife came to me in 2003 and stated the mortgage was paid off and no credit card debt, you can retire. Yea! right! being debt free is B.S. when income tax time comes along with property taxes. Fail to pay them and see what happens.
RELH :ROFLMAO:

My hero. Really. My dad paid off his last debt in his early 70s. Sold the farm, had all that money, and had no idea how to enjoy it. Spending money wasn't his thing.

Congratulations!!! On retirement and the truck.
If you really want to feel overwhelmed trade that truck in for a 2024. 🤣🤣🤣
Feels like sitting in an airplane cockpit.
I would be afraid to take it in the backwoods. Sounds nice LK2HNT. I may travel more but I don't get out as much as when Trump had gas prices low. Going on a guided Walleye trip on the Columbia River in April. If fuel isn't much higher I will take this for a long trip and enjoy it.

Congratulations! It is great to be debt free. I hope (should be) debt free by summer and me and my wife are looking forward to it.

By the way, I have the same model and year as your truck. I bought it new and it now has 191,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck that I have ever owned.

Enjoy your freedom!

Congratulations! It is great to be debt free. I hope (should be) debt free by summer and me and my wife are looking forward to it.

By the way, I have the same model and year as your truck. I bought it new and it now has 191,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck that I have ever owned.

Enjoy your freedom!
Same to you Woodruff ! Thank you ! I'm finally very fit at 65 , which is the best thing next to debt free. I work out hard on Cardio and weights several days a week. My legs have never been so strong. Deep squats with kettle balls work well. Watch the movie Meru. It is very motivational watching that guy Renan do rehab after his crash.

Well done.👍

I have the same truck. I’ve had to replace the secondary cooling lines to the turbo when I got tired of the coolant smell. The DEF system is /was a PITA also. Mine finally broke completely and now doesn’t use any DEF :D Don’t worry about that check engine light.;)

That said, this has been a darn good truck. It has a pretty hard life offroad and pulling and it’s still going strong. Keep the road salt off those wheels.

So being debt free as of today ! 65 years old and no bills. Bought a truck cash too. So much tech it will take a while to learn it all. It's a 2012 F-350 SD 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat 156" WB Styleside 6.7 V-8 6 speed auto trans with 56,000 miles. Air bags, flex fold tonneau cover and added a DVD with backseat screens, electric running boards, Aluminum wheels , electric fold rewr view mirrors etc. I know the turbo on those had some troubles but this hasn't even towed anything. No tuner has been used which I wouldn't want , buy hasn't had a delete which is nice but the feds are after that. Idaho doesn't have a law against it but the federal law is.
View attachment 137170
Good for you.

Well done.👍

I have the same truck. I’ve had to replace the secondary cooling lines to the turbo when I got tired of the coolant smell. The DEF system is /was a PITA also. Mine finally broke completely and now doesn’t use any DEF :D Don’t worry about that check engine light.;)

That said, this has been a darn good truck. It has a pretty hard life offroad and pulling and it’s still going strong. Keep the road salt off those wheels.
The check light is for when you're parked , and want to see how much money is in your wallet for Motorcraft parts.

The check light is for when you're parked , and want to see how much money is in your wallet for Motorcraft parts.
If mine ever goes out I’ll be pretty worried. And I doubt it’ll be very long before a check engine light just makes it auto-drive straight to the stealership.

As for motorcraft parts, just brace yourself for when you change the fuel filters on that thing. :oops:

I had a financial advisor tell me I was wrong for paying off my house early (this was 7-8 years back). Of course, he used the “invest your money for better returns” argument. However, I went against his advice and paid it off. I am certainly glad I did (in his defense he did make some good points).

Regardless, there’s a lot less worries and it certainly frees up more money for my bad hunting habits…,.

If I didn't have a house payment, I would be one dangerous MF on the animals across CONUs. lol

I bet it feels great to not have that payment. I hope to live long enough to find out.

If I didn't have a house payment, I would be one dangerous MF on the animals across CONUs. lol

I bet it feels great to not have that payment. I hope to live long enough to find out.
You absolutely can do it. My suggestion, would be to work a second job, one that you enjoy, and use that money towards paying it off. It is a pain, but worth it.

I had a financial advisor tell me I was wrong for paying off my house early (this was 7-8 years back). Of course, he used the “invest your money for better returns” argument. However, I went against his advice and paid it off. I am certainly glad I did (in his defense he did make some good points).

Regardless, there’s a lot less worries and it certainly frees up more money for my bad hunting habits…,.
Same here, my banker, my tax guy, and several other people that Were in the financial scene tried to explain to me why I shouldn’t pay my house off. All of that just went in one ear and out the other.
Paying off my house was all I could think about from the first moment I got my home loan.
I paid my house off in 12 years.
Best feeling ever when I opened up my safe, and put my deed into it.

Congratulations DM, sounds like life is good for you.

Finally Broke My Ass!

Well done.👍

I can retire next year or work as many years as I want to. I might even sell my house for a place with some acreage and a large shop. 1 acre is enough for me. Just having some RV area to park and a heated shop and I will attempt to fix as many Chevy and Ford fixes as I can...whew the newer rigs are complex with electronics.

She Smokin Yet?

I can retire next year or work as many years as I want to. I might even sell my house for a place with some acreage and a large shop. 1 acre is enough for me. Just having some RV area to park and a heated shop and I will attempt to fix as many Chevy and Ford fixes as I can...whew the newer rigs are complex with electronics.

I had my previous house paid off when I sold it in 2013, could have paid off the new house as well, but my rate was 2.65% on a 15 and so I only put down enough to avoid mortgage insurance and put the rest in stocks. You only need to look at the charts of google, facebook, apple and a few others to see that it was a good choice. Still have all money invested, but more than plenty to pay off the loan if I wanted. If rates ever got back below 3%, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I will say though, just before the market crashed in 2008ish, I made a good move and sold all my investments and paid that house off. Glad I did that at that time or I'd have lost half my money. The rate was much higher than on that house.

I had my previous house paid off when I sold it in 2013, could have paid off the new house as well, but my rate was 2.65% on a 15 and so I only put down enough to avoid mortgage insurance and put the rest in stocks. You only need to look at the charts of google, facebook, apple and a few others to see that it was a good choice. Still have all money invested, but more than plenty to pay off the loan if I wanted. If rates ever got back below 3%, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I will say though, just before the market crashed in 2008ish, I made a good move and sold all my investments and paid that house off. Glad I did that at that time or I'd have lost half my money. The rate was much higher than on that house.
Making good choices is great. Sometimes it's hard to see the whole view or trust in the expected outcome.

Brian: You make a good argument. I have a rental that is at 2.75% on a 15 year loan. I can either pay it off this summer or take that money and put it into CD. I’m sure I’ll get some heat for my math and my decision, but I’ll give it a go…. I currently pay about 1,000 a month in interest. I could get a bit better return going the 5% CD route but the peace of mind, being debt free is better to me. I do not think either option is necessarily bad.

If the market keeps performing like it has this past year, I certainly will not be able to beat your argument…..

Yup, I'm 3% or so on the old place; the new one is paid off.

Yep. Zero debt brings great peace of mind and now just continuing to work towards a good life style in the Golden years and knowing the wife will be set if and when I go.

Paid house off several years ago and bought and paid for new ATV's, side by side, toy hauler, ect, with OT funds. Once I was done working OT for play toys I retired and now collect pension. Still work a part time gig for something to do and play money. Funny how trucks get old and need a new one 😉.

Current truck was purchased on zero financing for 36 months. 17 payments left and no interest paid. Only new truck ever bought or ordered from factory.

Debt free and retired is awesome.

Last edited:
In July it will be it will be 11 years for my wife and I. Borrowed twice for newer vehicles because it’s been almost no interest and if you take care of them they are about as liquid as cash……. And we have put a lot of miles on since we retire. Have not lost a minutes sleep to financial worries in 11 years. It’s a blessing that comes from good fortune and conservative spending. Certainly was not this way for the first 40 years.

Wish you a long and healthy future Deermadness.

Thanks Lumpy ! I am healthy, but feeling like Sh*t tonight after a slew of deep squats with a 20lb kettle ball in each hand. I guess it's healthy when I can do them. I wish you a long healthy life too.
It's a thing that can be hoped for but never predicted. A friend of mine lost her husband this week. He was 66 years old. Another friend passed at 66 this year. He was a marathoner.
In July it will be it will be 11 years for my wife and I. Borrowed twice for newer vehicles because it’s been almost no interest and if you take care of them they are about as liquid as cash……. And we have put a lot of miles on since we retire. Have not lost a minutes sleep to financial worries in 11 years. It’s a blessing that comes from good fortune and conservative spending. Certainly was not this way for the first 40 years.

Wish you a long and healthy future Deermadness.

You guys set your wife's up, nice and neat. When your gone, dude will slip in and nail em on those Bahama cruises.No worries, you'll be dead and gone. That truck and rifle of yours, sold at the estate sale. If your lucky, that 160ish muley mount of yours will hang proud in some deush bags garage. Gotta be a reason the richest of rich are never debt free.

You guys set your wife's up, nice and neat. When your gone, dude will slip in and nail em on those Bahama cruises.No worries, you'll be dead and gone. That truck and rifle of yours, sold at the estate sale. If your lucky, that 160ish muley mount of yours will hang proud in some deush bags garage. Gotta be a reason the richest of rich are never debt free.
We like being debt free because we are not “the richest of the rich”.

Moe, I hope, when I die my wife is fortunate to met and marry someone who will treat here a hell of a lot better than I have over the last 53 years. She deserves it and I’ve told her flat out that she should.

I had fun shooting that 160ish Buck. He measured over 30 wide. When I'm dead and gone I won't be worrying about much. My rifle and anything I have in my will won't be in an estate sale. And it is rifles ( plural ) . I decided one wasn't enough when I was young. Married men live longer on average than single men so I should have awhile yet.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm a bachelor and am living forever!! haha

Found my' Toot-Toot' pic, Titles......

Yeh, I sold the F350 but I have the title to the 2020 JP Gladiator.

Robb

View attachment 137442
No worries Robb, I wouldn't remarry if my wife passed, but we have fun. She's a gun shootin', ATV pro rider, fishing fanatic, Conservative, Happy Camper and kind woman. Who could ask for more. I can't complain much, lol

Moe, I hope, when I die my wife is fortunate to met and marry someone who will treat here a hell of a lot better than I have over the last 53 years. She deserves it and I’ve told her flat out that she should.
I hear ya 2lumpy. Told my wife the same thing. Wouldn't want her to be alone for years if she finds someone to be with to make her happy. As far as truck, atv's, utv, mounts, gun safes and their contents, they have/will be going to my sons.

We will enjoy our golden years and when the time comes. She and my children should be just fine.

That is a good feeling for sure. Just have to pull the plug and retire but the job pays so well I keep putting money in the 401K and Roth plans.
It's great to be debt free and retirement is the bomb. Loving every minute of it so far.
The family in SF I used to do work for called at Christmas and asked if I was still enjoying retirement. I'm sure they were fishing but I wasn't biting....LOL

It's great to be debt free and retirement is the bomb. Loving every minute of it so far.
The family in SF I used to do work for called at Christmas and asked if I was still enjoying retirement. I'm sure they were fishing but I wasn't biting....LOL
Way to stay strong! Sneaky bastards with their, "Just for a single job" or "Through the summer, until I hire a xxxx."

I went to the sawmill to get some kiln dried 2X6 for firewood and made the mistake of visiting the saw filing room where I worked. "Could you look at this band saw?" "What do you think?" I think I could fix it, but you should probably break it up and put it in the scrap metal bin and grab a new one. I gotta go now.

Last edited:
Brian: You make a good argument. I have a rental that is at 2.75% on a 15 year loan. I can either pay it off this summer or take that money and put it into CD. I’m sure I’ll get some heat for my math and my decision, but I’ll give it a go…. I currently pay about 1,000 a month in interest. I could get a bit better return going the 5% CD route but the peace of mind, being debt free is better to me. I do not think either option is necessarily bad.

If the market keeps performing like it has this past year, I certainly will not be able to beat your argument…..
Don’t forget that the interest you’re paying on your mortgage and or rental property note is tax deductible. It’s a no brainer to keep that note locked in and grab a 5% T bond or CD. Run the numbers on your tax advantage and extra interest and you can probably go on a couple hunts a year by keeping that note. The best thing I ever did was leverage the hell out of myself with 2.5-3% interest long term notes.

Don’t forget that the interest you’re paying on your mortgage and or rental property note is tax deductible. It’s a no brainer to keep that note locked in and grab a 5% T bond or CD. Run the numbers on your tax advantage and extra interest and you can probably go on a couple hunts a year by keeping that note. The best thing I ever did was leverage the hell out of myself with 2.5-3% interest long term notes.
There is truth in that. Back in 1975 banks were paying 18-20% on 6 month CDs. I didn't have any money though.

I went to the sawmill to get some kiln dried 2X6 for firewood and made the mistake of visiting the saw filing room where I worked. "Could you look at this band saw?" "What do you think?" I think I could fix it, but you should probably break it up and put it in the scrap metal bin and grab a new one. I gotta go now.
.Better to buy a new Saw
.. I was Deer Hunting near Salmon about 8 years ago with a friend. A big micro burst hit us that night. Well, a huge tree had fallen right next to a Cattle Guard, which was the way out. I had left the Chainsaw at home. Well, a Bow Saw didn't work so well cutting it. Some young guys showed up and we got it cut. Then we used my truck and a tow strap to pull it out of the way. We were very glad those ambitious young guys showed up. Anyway, a lesson on being prepared wwas.taught.

There is truth in that. Back in 1975 banks were paying 18-20% on 6 month CDs. I didn't have any money though.
The other thing that’s usually happening with high interest is inflation. If you’ve got 2.5-3% debt that’s fixed for long term, inflation is your best friend as it’s wiping away your debt for you while you wait it out. We locked in several large land purchases in 2019 and 2020 and inflation has caused those assets to nearly double since then without us having to invest a penny of our own money, just leveraging our credit.

Eel Better Hurry If he's Gonna Buy A Saw!

Probably Ain't Anything You Could Buy In KALI Except An E-Saw!
.Better to buy a new Saw
.. I was Deer Hunting near Salmon about 8 years ago with a friend. A big micro burst hit us that night. Well, a huge tree had fallen right next to a Cattle Guard, which was the way out. I had left the Chainsaw at home. Well, a Bow Saw didn't work so well cutting it. Some young guys showed up and we got it cut. Then we used my truck and a tow strap to pull it out of the way. We were very glad those ambitious young guys showed up. Anyway, a lesson on being prepared wwas.taught.

Great point, and yes I realize that. I’m still paying it off, I guess I’m stubborn.
To each their own, there are worse financial decisions than being debt free.
You are not wrong either.
I’d be a few thousand ahead, if I went the CD route, based on my current interest rate. That few thousand isn’t worth to me.
This is a great discussion. I’m weird I guess as this thread has been as interesting as a good hunt report!
I would also say that health, job loss, job change, can certainly change one’s current income situation. Being debt free helps tackle unforeseen challenges. I will agree that leveraging debt for real estate purchases can be okay, if interest rates are manageable and a significant down payment is made (just my opinion). I was debt free for several years and did buy the rental property I mentioned. It was certainly worth it. No way I would borrow now, given the current rates and the prices in our current market.
I’m sure there are a few Bean Counters that are having a migraine (and others), listening to my opinion 😂

Last edited:
Great point, and yes I realize that. I’m still paying it off, I guess I’m stubborn.
To each their own, there are worse financial decisions than being debt free.
You are not wrong either.
I’d be a few thousand ahead, if I went the CD route, based on my current interest rate. That few thousand isn’t worth to me.
This is a great discussion. I’m weird I guess as this thread has been as interesting as a good hunt report!
I would also say that health, job loss, job change, can certainly change one’s current income situation. Being debt free helps tackle unforeseen challenges. I will agree that leveraging debt for real estate purchases can be okay, if interest rates are manageable and a significant down payment is made (just my opinion). I was debt for several years and did buy the rental property I mentioned. It was certainly worth. No way I would borrow now, given the current rates and the prices in our current market.
I’m sure there are a few Bean Counters that are having a migraine (and others), listening to my opinion 😂
You brought up more good points for discussion Woodruffhunter. I was divorced twice, and married again for almost 15 years. They say 3rd times a charm. I don't buy into that. I know of people who have been married up to 10 times. The grass isn't greener on the other side- but, it isn't something you can make happen. It needs to happen when you aren't looking. But , that leads to where I'm at. I had to rebuild financially and start over each time. Not a good thing. I always wondered if this could ever happen. I listened to Dave Ramsey and always wanted to say debt free. It wasn't to brag, but to just share it. I know being a Sportsman, hunter, fisher, camper that all those things cost so much. If I would have been an avid reader and no other hobby I would have been debt free 15 years ago.
Next you brought up health , which we all want. I've had cancer twice, broken shoulder and ribs, high blood pressure , overweight. Last year I drew a tag that I thought woukd be super again. Wrong, the winter kill devastated the herd. However I determined to work very hard to be ready for the hunt. It changed my life. My health is so much better.
Next is job loss- I've worked since I was 14 years old. I've only had 4 weeks of unemployment. I'm fortunate not to have job loss, but instead moved to a better job each time.
I really have liked hearing others stories here. I do want to retire but my health is good and my job pays well, although there are .any on this forum who probably make 300k or more a year. I just hope we don't lose it all due to this Fiat economy.

Last edited:
I have a friend and used to be co-worker who has been married and divorced 4 times. The thing is that all 4 of his ex-wives get along great. It's nothing to go visit him and 2 or 3 of his ex-wives are there visiting. They like him but just can't live with him. The point is every time he gets a divorce, he has to refinance his house to pay them off. He'll never pay the house off. Since he retired though he makes good money so he's getting by.

I have a friend and used to be co-worker who has been married and divorced 4 times. The thing is that all 4 of his ex-wives get along great. It's nothing to go visit him and 2 or 3 of his ex-wives are there visiting. They like him but just can't live with him. The point is every time he gets a divorce, he has to refinance his house to pay them off. He'll never pay the house off. Since he retired though he makes good money so he's getting by.
We’re a strrrrrrrrrange species eel. I suspect those gals knew his track record, still married him, then divorced him, then all get together for nice visits, apparently they all like each other, yet they each took half his assets. 👄👊👄

There are stranger things in this world, but I’m not sure Kevin Costner couldn’t script that. 😂😂😂

We’re a strrrrrrrrrange species eel. I suspect those gals knew his track record, still married him, then divorced him, then all get together for nice visits, apparently they all like each other, yet they each took half his assets. 👄👊👄

There are stranger things in this world, but I’m not sure Kevin Costner couldn’t script that. 😂😂😂
I got to know his third wife who introduced me to her dad. He now lets me hunt on his ranch but my friend can't....lol

Ok, now that's cool. What else did his third wife introduce you to ?
The Moscow Mule if I remember right....You'd like the ranch DM. It's right on the ocean at the mouth of Eel River. Ducks and geese and a private beach to fish steelhead and salmon.

The Moscow Mule if I remember right....You'd like the ranch DM. It's right on the ocean at the mouth of Eel River. Ducks and geese and a private beach to fish steelhead and salmon.
Hey Eel, I so want to come down there. I wouldn't be able to leave my wife, but if we make a trip I will let you know. Moscow Mule isn't for me. Can't say I have never imbibed, but I'm sober now. What gear would I need for beach fishing ? Would I be allowed to give it a try there Eel ? I'm a damn good fisherman. Steelhead, Salmon, all trout species, perch, bluegill and crappie. I never did well bass fishing , and I don't like the flavor. I don't like catfish. I've had lots of Sturgeon also.
Do you bank fish often? Sounds like paradise there to me.
Have you tried Scuba ? I haven't dove since 2004.
Used to dive for Dungeness, Ling Cod and Flounder. I actually ran out of air diving for Dungeness in 1990. A little nervous but I made it from the dive no harm, no foul. Areas near Seattle and Garbaldi Bay Oregon. A couple dives in Cozumel also. Palancar Reef .
DM your phone number if you'd like to talk sometime. I'm in Utah today visiting Grandsons , Daughter-In-Law and Son-In-Law. They are active and it is busy keeping them entertained.

time.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom