mag-na-port

B

boomer (Guest)

I have a Ruger#1 7mm mag. that kill like a mule. A friend of mine told me to send it off to Mag-na-port and they could drill hole in the end of the barrel. I was hoping some of you could shed some light. I took a look at there web site and they claim up to a 45% reduction in recoil. Has any one seen this? If so, I would greatly appreciate some advice. I was also wondering if this process is better than a muzzle brake? Thanks! Boomer

Don't do it, it is ugly and you cannot fix it once it is done. Just get a muzzle brake put on it. It may be a little louder but its not big deal. I have that same Ruger #1 in 7mm and it doesn't kick bad at all?

I sent my .300 Ultra Mag to Mag-na-port and had a muzzle brake added to the end. It screws on and off. It helps a lot with the kick. It's loud but worth it.

Don't take advice about recoil from anyone who has a web name of 30-378!!! If you can shoot a 30-378 without a muzzle break you're beyond awsome. If you can shoot one with a muzzle break and no ear protection your wife probably thinks your never listening to what she has to say.

The mag-na-port (or muzzle break) on a hunting gun isn't worth the trade off for me. I flinched as bad or worse from the blast and noise as I did from heavy recoil.

They do work. I could shoot the 30-378 with the break. Without it-no way. By the way the muzzle jump without the break resulted in the gun being about 20 inches higher at 100 yds. 15 or 20 shots later(I hate those luepold ajustments sometimes) the gun was on at 100 yds without the break. Sold the gun 2 days later. Missed 3 bucks 2 weeks later- still flinching. About 750 .223's later quit flinching all the time and went to some of the time. I still have flashbacks when I see an accumark of any caliber.

Maybe try a different rear stock shape or length or add some weight to the front of the gun if you don't like the break or porting idea. I've also hunted and done shooting competitions with a P.A.S.T magnum recoil pad on. Sew a piece of elastic on it to go around your neck and keep it in place under your outerwear.
Do I hear any cheers for the 7mm-08?

Well maybe I can help, I had a magna port done on a 300 win mag model 700 remington , I hated it and recoil was not much different without it. Then I took the gun to a gun smith to have a muzzle break put on it and the problem was now that the barrel had to be cut off where all the holes were drilled so I would loose 1.5 inches of barrel length. after all that I had a 300 win mag that had the velocity of a 30\06 due to the shorter barrel.
Again don't do it
I although am a firm believer on muzzle breaks especially a brand called a Gentry Muzzle break they make a brake called the Gentry quiet brake and it works great. I have them on 4 rifles Including 2 calibers larger then the 30\378 . Ask any good gun smith and they will tell you the same.They work well
Also point of impact does not change on any of my rifles with or without the break on , The other guy who stated 20 inches at 100 yards is wrong but I can tell you what happened to his gun if it really did move 20 inches, the gun smith did a shitty job and the bullet leaving the barrel was actually touched the break somewhere and causing the problem.any other questions please let me know
Good luck

I have a couple of muzzlebrakes and boss systems on a few of my rifles. I had a mediocre job done on my .338 win mag (which I later sold) by some doofus from a gun show in Denver. I have a m-brake on one of my 300 weatherbys from Gary's Sporting Goods in Denver. It's a beaut. Also had a KDF slimline break on my .340 wthby that works like a charm. Aside from being louder than hell, the recoil is reduced significantly. Personally, I like them. The boss system looks like a tumor of sorts at the end of your barrel, but you can adjust the boss system to accomodate different bullet weights.
As goofy as the boss looks, that 7 mag supergrade is about the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. personal prefernce, I guess. Not even sure the boss sustem is made anymore.

Coot

I had it done on my 338 win mag and I love it.No more muzzle jump and it did cut the recoil down.I dont know if it was 45% but it has made the gun fun to shoot.As for your muzzle brake you can keep them I like my hearing to much.Plus I dont like to make my gun look like a weed burner on the end.

Warbird,
Have you shot your 30-378 without the break on? Can the break reduce muzzle jump that much and not change your point of impact. My boss systems and their breaks don't change the impact point if the cr is used but the 30-378 is a different beast. You can't assume the impact point without the break will be the same. Try and let me know on those bigger than 30-378 guns especially if they're Weatherby type stocks.

Thanks for all the great info. I don't think I will send if off but I sure am going to think hard about a muzzle brake. If anyone knows a great gun smith that maybe I can mail the barrel to I would love to know that. I would hate to spend the money and have a crappy job done. Thanks again.

Boomer,

This is a Weatrherby factory authorized gunsmith in califonia. I had a screw-off brake put on my .300 wby and it feels like my .270 now. Noise may be a bit louder at the range but in teh field I can't tell the difference. The brake installed lines up perfect with the barrel contour (seamless) there is a screw on cap if you want to take it off, and the barrell length wasn't chopped. No change to accuracy, just more comfortable.

Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Ave.
Westminster? CA 92683
Ph # 714-894-9100
Fax # 714-898-9164

Who cares about the noise? You may actually shoot your rifle in field at most 3 times quickly in a row, and trust me when you are looking at game downrnage the last thing you think about is the noise from your gun. When you are practicing with a muzzle brake on just wear ear protection it is that simple. I do agree with you Warbird, the guy who was shooting 20 inches high at 100 yards probably had a bad gunsmith do the work.

FYI the 30-378 was a weatherby accumark with a factory break. That doesn't mean it wasn't all messed up and that the bullet wasn't hitting the break somewhere but the gun shot 1.5 moa or so with break on and off. From what I've heard if the bullets are hitting the break they go all over the place and the problem goes away when the break is removed.

I'm not being a smart a** about the change of impact point. But I would like someone with a 30-378 weatherby or similar beast to try it from a bench without the break and see if their experience is different. As I said my other guns with removable breaks don't change impact points with the break removed.

I think the weatherby rear stock shape make their rifles muzzle jump more than other style rear stocks. I had this same experience with using a bipod with a Weatherby. The impact point is higher with the bipod and not holding the front of the gun than with a bench rest and holding the forend. The impact difference was not as extreme as 20 inches but was nearly 6 at 100yds with an accumark 7mm stw.

I agree that 3 shots with a break on isn't too bad on the ears unless you're next to a tree or rock(or your buddy is the one shooting and your trying to watch next to him). By the same token I don't notice the recoil when I shoot at game.

This is pretty cool that the opinions and experiences differ on this topic. Does anyone but me have a break on a .223?

DMV actually I shoot a Lazzeroni Warbird and the stock is a mc millen thumbhole, on that rifle it makes no difference on point of impact,yes it helps muzzle jump a little bit

I have a friend, (one anyway), that was sniper in the army. He has a 300 Win Mag and it is magna-ported. When I got my new Rem 300 ukltra-mag he told me to not bother with magna-porting just go down and get a muzzle break installed. I am truly happy with the way this gun performs. It also came stock with a recoil pad that is made by the same company that makes limbsavers for bows. This recoil pad also does a fine job. I cannot shoot more than a box of shells in my 30.06, but my 300 ultra mag I enjoy because it does not kick as hard as the 30.06. I have ordered the recoil pad now for the 30.06. My 14 year old even shot the ultra mag and was totally surprised when it went off and didn't even have a bruise. Muzzle break and recoil combo is the way I would go. AT LEAST IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN SCREW IT OFF.........

I shoot a 300 Win Mag and my wife shoots a 270 that have been Magna-ported. My son has a Winchester 30-06 that has a factory Boss. I will take the magna-port any day over his muzzle break. The magna port does reduce recoil substantially as does the boss, but there are differences. The boss and any similar muzzle brake are far louder to the ears. The magna-port does not kick up near as much dust and debris if shot from prone or short shooting sticks due to the cuts in the barrel being in the side and top and not pointing at the ground. The magna-port does not lengthen the barrel which is a biggy if you hunt off an animal with your gun in a saddle. I personally don't think magna-porting is nearly as ugly as the big screw on brakes. Another thing to realize is that doing a muzzle brake of any kind can change the harmonics of the barrel resulting in the need to work up a new reload combo or possibly change brands of ammo to see what shoots best. I do wear hearing protection while target practicing and haven't noticed any more flinching from myself or my family. If you are concerned with recoil, don't hesitate to try a brake. If you don't like your current recoil, your not going to shoot as much, and as anyone knows practice makes perfect. Good luck with whatever route you go.

In my humble opinion if you need muzzlebreaks or magnuporting done to your rifles your shooting to much gun for you...STOP trying to get your big magnums to shoot like a 270!!!. Just buy a 270!!!. If your recoil sensitive DON'T BUY THE BIG 30 CALIBERS!!. There is nothing in North America you can't kill with a 270. Jack O'Conner proved that....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom