Nevada Elk Incentive or Damage Crop Tags?

maxpower

Anyone here have experience getting tags via the states Damage Compensation Tags program, or the elk incentive program?

I spoke with a biologist about this briefly and she mentioned both as an option for those who own land in NV where big game animals spend time.

The damage compensation tag requires something like 50 animals in your "cash crop" like alfalfa (they don't do it if you just own sage flats) and being able to get tags in the same unit as a compensation.
The elk incentive/native meadows program (I didn't get the exact name of this one) is a way of incentivizing landowners to plant or encourage native meadows/native grasses conducive to elk. This has its own formula for how many animals are on it and when, but also rewards the landowners with tags.

Would love to know if anyone here has heard or used these programs, and how hard/easy it was to deal with the state biologists.

That is how landowners receive their LO tags which they then resell to the public for big bucks. It's been going on since 1990 at least. I used to help the field count, done at night with a spotlight. Total the number counted, divide by 50. You get one tag per 50 critters. This was for deer and antelope, not sure on elk if ratio was the same.
Nevada posts a Landowner Tag list every year in January... distributed by request.

That is how landowners receive their LO tags which they then resell to the public for big bucks. It's been going on since 1990 at least. I used to help the field count, done at night with a spotlight. Total the number counted, divide by 50. You get one tag per 50 critters. This was for deer and antelope, not sure on elk if ratio was the same.
Nevada posts a Landowner Tag list every year in January... distributed by request.
Good to know, thank you!

My in-laws own some acreage in SE Nevada, and I'm trying to see if they may have enough to qualify. Hoping they so I can use some and sell some for them....

In your past experience how many acres would most people need? My in-laws place is out in the sticks with water very close by, and totals about 170 acres.

Key word is CROP. I think the minimum wS 160 ACRES OF CROP land, i.e. under production. Think Alfalfa in NV. You can look up under Crop Depredation/Compensation NV.

Homer, back when I did it we counted 200-250 deer in one night. Result 4-5 tags per year, every year. It was amazing what the desert can produce when it is able to thrive... Mountains, foothills, lush fields with water equal wildlife... today the number of tags (all sources) far outstrips the quality available. You've got guys (and gals) clamoring to kill a 160-170 class mule deer...
I saw a video recently of an 8 year old kid harvest a NM desert bighorn ram... it's just ridiculous. No OIL tags should be drawn by anyone with less than 20 seasons of experience, or 30 years of age! LOL it must be an age thing...

Homer, back when I did it we counted 200-250 deer in one night. Result 4-5 tags per year, every year. It was amazing what the desert can produce when it is able to thrive... Mountains, foothills, lush fields with water equal wildlife... today the number of tags (all sources) far outstrips the quality available. You've got guys (and gals) clamoring to kill a 160-170 class mule deer...
I saw a video recently of an 8 year old kid harvest a NM desert bighorn ram... it's just ridiculous. No OIL tags should be drawn by anyone with less than 20 seasons of experience, or 30 years of age! LOL it must be an age thing...
No sh!t sherlock....I was asking about his 170 acres.....

Has there ever been 50 deer there at one time?…..
That I don't know. I need to take a trip out there and/or talk to some locals who may know before I start jumping through hoops for the NDOW
Looking at it online it looks like good muley country - not too far from Beaver Dam State Park.

Anyone here have experience getting tags via the states Damage Compensation Tags program, or the elk incentive program?

I spoke with a biologist about this briefly and she mentioned both as an option for those who own land in NV where big game animals spend time.

The damage compensation tag requires something like 50 animals in your "cash crop" like alfalfa (they don't do it if you just own sage flats) and being able to get tags in the same unit as a compensation.
The elk incentive/native meadows program (I didn't get the exact name of this one) is a way of incentivizing landowners to plant or encourage native meadows/native grasses conducive to elk. This has its own formula for how many animals are on it and when, but also rewards the landowners with tags.

Would love to know if anyone here has heard or used these programs, and how hard/easy it was to deal with the state biologists.

Plant some clover then say they are destroying your clover field.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom