oregon deer

J

Jackjr

What are the best units for controled deer. I have no points this year used them last year. Most states seem to always have units that take years to draw because of quality. Does oregon have any of those? Seems like most of the units can draw with low points. Does this mean that private land is the key to guality.

It doesn't really matter how many points you have Oregon deer hunting only gets so good, and that's not very good. as a rule like anywhere else the more points it takes the better the hunt. if you have good private land there are a few decent bucks around but if you want to hunt public you're in a tough spot. it's not hopeless but even us eastern Oregon natives are at a loss as to where to hunt these days, most of my friends don't even worry about deer hunting anymore because they've shot enough dinks already.

Unless you like waiting a decade for a tag in a marginally better area, I would look for something you can hunt every couple years and try to learn about it. I would do that very thing except that I have 8 points and can't bring myself to burn them on a unit that only takes 4 to draw. Best of luck to you.

forkhunter,
We could apply together for a good hunt that only takes four to draw (I have zero). It's a win/win. You're still 3-5 years from a premium tag and this way, you won't have to hunt by yourself. Did I talk you into it yet?..........grin.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-08 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]There aren't many premium tags really. Metolious bow, Juniper Muzzle, and a couple of the new ones may or may not pan out. I am choosing to leave out trout creeks, I had a friend hunt it this year, and after scouting the hunt for 15 days and hunting for 6 he killed the biggest buck he saw which was around 176 and change. Not with the 11 year wait IMHO.

My reccomendation is do a Private land access hunt, there usually relatively inexpensive and you can expect to kill decent buck

Wanted. You almost had me!!!!!!

As for the trout creeks, I have heard the same (and saw the same 2 years ago). Just an average area anymore. Oregon seems to be almost devoid of premium units. There are still some nice bucks scattered around though, as you see a few gotten in random areas.

Once I burn my points, I will look into much easier to draw areas and try to learn the one I choose. I am not going to wait 10 years again to draw!!! I like to hunt too much and I am not a trophy hunter anyway.

i am guessing you guys are talking about mule deer? what about blacktail, what do you recommend for units. i have a couple points and was gonna use them for blacktail.

There are some really big bucks high in the cascades but still on the west side, few but good. There are some we call bench legs that can make your jaw drop.

Back
Top Bottom