Pheasant Hunt in Lehr, ND

D

Desertdweller

My dad and I are going to go pheasant/sharptail hunting in a few weeks in Lehr, ND. Having never been to ND can anyone tell me what to expect. Lehr is southeast of Bismark somewhere north of the South Dakota border.

I'm curious about the weather, country, quantity of birds, and if anyone has ever hunted the area.

Give me your recommendations about dogwork. I will be bringing two labs, a pointer, and a setter.

Thanks

Desertdweller

I have never hunted that area, but Kansas a few times.
The birds love to run, more than any Phesants I have
ever hunted in Ut. or Id. the pointing dogs have a hard
without a strong wind in the face. but my Setter has been
worked on thousands of wild chuckers so she started circling
and holding birds. your flushing Labs will be a big help
finding downed birds. If it's anything like my Kansas hunts
there could be as many as 200 birds at the end if a drive
and it's hard to keep track of all the birds that drop.
I have had great results shooting heavy loads of 7-1/2 shot
out of a full choked 12ga. good shooting and have fun.

NVMDF

Use No;5's or 6's if you go late in the season you might be using #4 because the birds flush out farther. That should be a good area, but areas change year to year due to weather and nesting conditions.

I always go to Mott every year because a friend of mine is from there. If Lehr is anything like Mott, be prepared to pay to hunt or hunt public land.($20-$50 per gun) The cool thing about Nodak is land owners have to put their names and phone #'s on their signs. I personally have not delt with land owners there because my friend handels that, so I don't know what there attitudes are about people calling them. I don't mind hunting public stuff out there because the public is still better than anything around here(UT,ID), and you can still get your birds but you have to work for them. Some of the private property we hunt you have to keep your gun unloaded or you could be done in minutes and your dogs won't even be tired.Also the Little Mossouri National Grasslands is a really neat place to hunt.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom