Shots Taken

H

hunter66

I know in a perfect world we all try for one shot, one kill, but lets be real, sometimes in the field, due to one problem or another, the world isnt so perfect. So, I was wondering, whats the most number of shots you have had to take to down an animal. Odd topic I know, but just curious!!

one, but maybe that's because I've only shot one big game animal. A deer a 370 yds. Except for ducks, and quail.
I do know this kid, shot 14 times to get his deer this year. The deer was 450 yds away. Still though!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

i shot at my deer 8 times. twice at 350, hit him both times, went down, 6 more times after we jumped him back up, i was at 400+ yards and he was runnin for the last 6. while i was at the taxidermists, guy told me a story how 5 guys had 3 bucks pinned on a mountain from 300 yards and they all toether fired over 35 rounds, one guy ran out of ammo
casey

That would suck! Also, just think what the deer were thinking! "Holy Chit Larry you got us in deep this time!"

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Twice, but that was with a bow on a bull elk. I guess that I have been lucky that I havent had to take more than one shot with a rifle. My buddy shot his mulie buck last year 6 times. All shots were under 150 yards! Come on now, how about a little more time on the firing range? The more you shoot, the smaller your odd are for making a poor shot. Practice, practice, practice!
Eric

fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-03 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-03 AT 10:29?AM (MST)

You gotta be a real dumba** to hunt with a group that would have such disrespect for animals..shooting 35 times from over 300 yards ? those fatasses couldnt get off their atv's long enough to do a proper stalk ? I bet those a-holes were drunk (I hope they were there is no excuse for that kind of crap).

All goes back to whoever taught them about hunting and ethics or lack thereof.

Twice. Guys who take potshots at animals should be strung up by their balls. If you aren't sure of your first shot you shouldn't be shooting. In my case a follow up shot wasnt really necessary but it stopped the deer from suffering any more than necessary.

my first bull elk was a 4x5. i took it in wyoming and i knew elk were tough but i had no idea how tough. i had a 270 weatherby mag and shot it well. i took the morning hike but beat everyone else back to the truck and the doors were locked. i hiked up to a clear cut about 200 yards away from the truck. i sat there thinking i would here the car door when everyone returned. after a few secounds i saw what i thought was my brothers horse coming out of the trees. then i saw it was a cow elk then i saw more movment it was a bull. i pulled up the rifle but all i saw was the elks face and butt. i knew that at 100 yrds i could hit him between the eyes. i touched off the elks head snapped back but he just kept walking. i thought i had just hit his antler. i pulled down on the black tip of his nose and fired! his head snapped back and he just kept walking now he turnned and i stuck one in his ribs but he kept on walking i relaoded the rifle and he turnned and started into the forest i put two more in his lungs. he went down the secound shot as it shattered is leg on the oppeset side. then he tryed to get up. i put the 6th one in his neck and he was finally down. then everyone started answering my shots in vollys of three... i yelled i'm not lost i got a elk
sore feet came over first he sead he thought someone had a semi auto the shots came so fast. i made him help look for my brass first befor going to the elk. we found all six in my pockit, after every shot i put the casing in my pockit and didn't even know it.
when we got to the elk the first shot hit square between his eyes bounced back out one inch above that nicked the base of his antler and pirced both side his ear. the secound hit in the black tip his nose and went into his neck. the next three were threw the lungs and the last broke his neck. i shot him 6 times and he had 10 bullit holes. that rifle killed on both ends so i went to a 300 mag. i have shot 2 elk 1 antalope and my this years deer all in the head and neck and they all went down so fast you don't ever see then drop.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-03 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]I hit my first elk last year with a 30-06 with 180 grain remington core lokt bullets and he went 40 yards, if that and died. Double lung shot @ 65 yards.

I shot a buck yesterday four times from a little under 100 yards with a .300 win mag and 180 grn failsafes before he went down. He was shot 2 times in the shoulder, once right behind the shoulder and once in the back of the ribs just above the brisket. My younger brother did final shot which knocked him down, hitting him on the front leg just below the brisket. He was dead not even ten seconds after my first shot and would have probably been dead shortly after the first shot. The deer staggered 20 yards before going down and all of the bullets completely passed through. It may sound like I shot up a lot of the meat but I only lost the bottom half of the left leg and a small amount of rib meat. If the animal is still standing I'm going to keep shooting even if I know I hit him good on the first shot. I think some animals are just going to be harder to knock down.

Do you think at under 100 yards a clean neck shot would be the best alternative ?

My brother shot a 300 inch 6pt 5 times before it went down. The first shot probably would have been more than enough but it just stood there and he kept shooting... It was about 125 yards away standing in a big rock slide. All 5 shots from his 270 were right on the mark. Most all of the bullets wizzed right through his ribs as well.

I shot a whitetail three times before it finally expired. I think I was 14 or so, hunting a hay field. The first shot was in the liver from about 200 yards the second broke his front shoulder taking out one lung and the last one was through the back of the head.

I also hit a bull elk three times with my '06 before he went and laid down. One shot through the lungs, one through the front shoulder, and one one through the liver. Then a final one to put him down for good in the back of the head. That was the last time I have used that '06, it went into retirement permenantly. That spring went out and bought a "better" gun.

Pretty much all the elk I have shot since have dropped either on the spot with the first shot or went maybe a few steps... Maybe one or two got a follow up shot, just because they were still standing by the time I had another one jacked in..

The worst (funniest) was on a goose hunt, my buddy nocked a bird down breaking its wing, the dog had the goose and the goose had the dog by his lip and was pecking his head too... Then my buddy rung its neck and tossed it on the "pile", the next flight is comeing in and that damn goose got up, with its head all cocked to one side and took off for the decoys, my buddy tackels him and is trying to hold him under his arm so the geese coming in don't see him moving around, then at the last minute he lets go... So we shot up that bunch and this wonded, head cocked to one side goose was still running around in the decoys. Well when he clead the decs my buddy shot him at about 50 yards, again the dog retrieved him and he was tossed back on the "pile" we figured for good... THEN about 4-5 min later that bloody shot up, cocked necked, broken winged, hobbleing on one leg goose got up again and made a break for it... This time my buddy let him have 3 inches of love from about 15-20 yards... THAT was the end for the goose who really liked to hunt.

Ivan

Maybe I'm lucky. I have only taken big game with my bow and never have I had to shoot more than once. I'm still looking for my first rifle kill and when I do I'll let you know how many shots it took. Hopefully just one!

Anything less than 100 yards and staying still I try for a neck shot. That way I don't have to deal with bloodshot. If they are walking or running usually a lung shot right behind the shoulder.
2 shots is the most I have ever needed. 2 years ago when I got a cow my first shot broke her back, then I neck shot her, don't like for them to suffer!

A couple years ago we came upon two mature mule deer locked antlers pushing each other across this 100 yard open area on teh side of a hill. We were about 5 or 6 miles from the truck on the last day of the hunt 30 minutes before dark. They were about 150 to 175 yards away. My first shot on my buck (the one on the right) was right through both lungs and he dropped with the other buck still locked at the antlers. My hunting partner hit the other buck 4 times (with a .270) - 2x's through both lungs, one liver shot and one further back. He kept getting up and making his way to the edge of the ridge until we thought he was down. My buck then got up and started running full tilt down hill and we both spun on that deer - I shot and he fell for good. At that time the other buck was standing again getting ready to go over the edge and we both shot (.300 Win Mag and .270) and he collapsed (last two shots were in the front shoulder area).

It was a long long long night, but well worth it. Never had seen or heard of two mature mulies going at like that. It was a site to behold and then when the shooting ended a huge 3x3 with kickers on both sides was coming up the hill. The two bucks were a 5x5 w/ eyeguards (scored 165 B&C) and then a super tall 4x4 27" wide that scored 175 B&C.

After killing over 80 bucks, one stands out. I was 13 at the time and hunting No. Ca. in Modoc county. We were hunting a huge manzanitta hillside, with 7 of us. My cousin jumped a buck and shot it twice in the a$$. Then it came by me, close. I shot it 4 times with a 32 winchester sp. Three times in the neck and I blew his jaw off. Then from up the hill My father shot him in the neck with a 7mm and down he went. When I got to the deer he got up and I shot him one more time. If that wasn't bad enough, it was not a legal buck. It was a 25inch spike fork and a giant old buck. Running sideways he looked like a three point. We did not waste him. We got him out of there and home. I have had lots of crazy stuff happen. I remember this one time and it goes on and on and on. Good for the camp fire.

The 2001 Utah Elk season I shot a 4X4 on an any bull unit. The herd got nervouse and I was about 200 yds from them. They started a slow trot. I put the first one in him just behind any vitals. He slowed down but was still going. The 2nd was almost in the same spot but a little lower, the 3rd missed, and then he went down. I started over to him, and he got up and started off again, the 4th was put through the back of his head and that ended it.

I have had two deer that would have died with the first shot with in a minute or two, but I put 2nd shots in them to finish them off with minamal suffering. I have had 3 deer dead in there tracks and 2 that took 3 one was due to another hunter shooting at the same animal, so it was running at full bore speed, the only shot that hit it was the first, and died from that one. The other was my first buck, I got buck feaver, and the the shakes were pretty bad, damn adrenaline.

DeadI
images

I shot at a bull elk 7 times about 300 yards across a little canyon. I hit him 5 times in the body. The first two were perfect lung shots, one hit him while he was bedded and he would have died eventually but he got up and was going at a good clip downhill trying to follow his cows out of Dodge. 1 shot took a brow tine off and knocked the piss out of him. I couldn't beleive how violently they shake when you crack them in the antlers. He actually got knocked down from that one. Anyways, he didn't make it more than 100 yards from first shot till death but I wanted to make sure he was going down and had plenty of lead in him. I won't ever shoot another elk with a .270 again, it is enough gun with perfect shot angle and placement but I have seen quite a few shot with them and they never have any reaction. This year I watched 2 bulls get hit with them, perfect lung shots and the elk never even flinched, they just kept on going until they ran out of air and tipped over. It just seems like they zip right through the elk and the elk doesn't even know it was hit. I guess that's allright but I would like to hit one and anchor him. Maybe if I ever get another tag I will have the chance to hit one with my .300 Weatherby and see what that does.

Bret M.

Got my first buck when I was 15.
Shot at him 8 times.
hit him 5.
I had the juniors tag for the 2nd time and I got the shakes so bad on every hunt.
Had a total of 27 shots at deer that year between muzzleloader / rifle / bow.

-Cass

Holy crap, I forgot my first buck! I shot it 4 times. I was 6 years old and shot him 4 times in the neck with a Ruger 10-22. At the time it seemed like he went about a mile before he died, but in reality it was probably only a couple hundred yards. My Uncle was so proud of me that he had it mounted, even though it was only a little 2pt whitetail. I was out hunting squirrels by myself and couldnt resist a chance at a nice little buck.
Eric

fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

This one is easy. I remeber one year shoting 25 time at a cow elk broadside, less than 200 yards, and standing still the whole time. After finally counting and droping her in her tracks I started to look my gun over to find out what the heck was going on. Apparently all the hinking I had done, had lossened the "Great Tasco" scope rings that I was using. You could easly move the scope an 1/8 inch in any direction. Needless to say I will never buy an other set of Tasco rings again.

400bull

About 20yrs. ago I was deer hunt'in with a pump 12ga.w/ open sights and I was shoot'in sabots out of this smooth-bore. Well, this little buck comes by and I missed him THIRTEEN times!!!! He just circled my stand and let me "sling lead" at him until I was outta shells, then he just walked away. The ground around my stand looked like I was "growing empty shot shells"!!! :7

Nope, DIdn't wound 1 animal. I actually have some poor footage on a JVC Camera of my muzzleloader hunt. It's about 20 seconds of video but I shoot at this buck on a hillside in a down poor. You see the smoke come from the muzzle, I was shootin a 50 caliber hawken, and then the deer falls, sorta like sitting down, but right on his butt. We searched and searched for blood. Then we came home and replayed it realllllly slow. The bullet hit right infront of him and scared him backwards is our guess. It's quite funny. BOw hunt I missed 2 at 15 yrds. Shakes BAD. Muzzleloader I missed17 shots in 10 days.
Glad I didn't anything. First time hunting with a muzzleloader and only my second with a Rifle. I had never shot at a deer with either one before.

-Cass

OK, OK..I will bite my tongue on this one...my apologies, and shame on me for not knowing better, but I was stilled amazed by one of Cass' statements.

Tell ya man
Gettin to see so many animals with different weapons. It's a shame more kids don't put in for that tag Here in nevada. It's probably one of the best tags in the west IMO.

-Cass

first year i hunted, i had a savage 99e in 308, was hunting welk, dad and i glasses up a group of 2 spikes and about 6 cows, i shot first from underneath a tress 250 away up hill, first shot missed, sent them runnin, dad shot, then i shot, dropped a spike in his tracks. ends up i shot him right under his jaw bone, through the juggular(sp). he dropped and kicked his leg twice and was done. i was 12 i think maybe 13, not bad, 250 up hill hauling @$$!!!
casey

Don't any of you (cass in particular) practice what you shoot? I spend all of the off season practicing my shooting,whether it be a bow or a rifle. I think we owe it to the animals. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just asking.

Great point Muleyqueen. Unfortunately I don't get out enough but I do go out 2-3 times a year and shoot prairie rats with my .22 mag. Then I usually run anywhere from 2-4 boxes of shells through the hunting rifles before the season. So it's better than nothing but still not enough!

I'm sure most of us pratice a lot. The point is, If you hunt enough it will happen to you too. No one likes to see it and it haunts you awhile after it does.

Blueoak, your right. All we can do is try our best and take the best shot presented. Maybe I'm just gun crazy, but I even practice with my pellet gun shooting all of the ground squirrels at my house (they keep getting in the chicken coop and eating their food).

I can practice and practice and practice
Fact of the matter is I can't practice with the shakes =\
Big difference when theres a deer there and not a foam target.

-Cass

Good point Cass. I know guys who shot paper real good, but can't get it done when the old buck is taking off.

Blueoak- I resemble that remark, I sighted in prior to last years muley season got into 3 bucks and one of them was a huge 28-30 incher with equally high antlers and what did I do, I undershot him and got to watch him and his crew bound off..a truly sad day LOL.

A 28-30 incher with equally high antlers would be a monster of a buck. How do you measure hieght?

might a bit of exxageration but they were tall 20" at least and you measure height by the ears i believe and thanks for calling me a liar, but you had to have been there to know exactly what I am saying.

2 on any of the deer I've shot. Most second shots are insurance to make sure thay are down and don't suffer. I mule deer took a round in the boiler room and looked like he was getting ready to take off. Well there are a bunch of range bulls in the next pasture (not in sight, but the fence is 30 yards away) and the last thing I want is those bulls trying to hook me when I'm trying to drag a thick buck back to safety, so I shot him again.

Got a friend who missed a nice buck 8 years ago at about 150 yards. No one could figure it out till he opened his mouth and told us, " that he led the buck." That's understandable, but WHY on a buck that is STANDING STILL his hunting partner said laughing. He still takes the ribbing good after the story is repeated every time sitting around the group get-together and telling stories. ha ha

The Elk I shot this year(300 win mag 180 grain super x @ 150 yards) I shot head on In the bottom part of his neck I thought the bullet would go in and go back into his vitals but the bullet went in hit one of his lungs then went into his shoulder then kind of U turned some how and went back into his neck and severed an artery he dropped and kicked a couple times and I thought ya one shot then when we got a 50 yards away from him he tried to jump up but he fell right back down so I hurried up to him put a shot into his head with my 45 all he did was jerk his head and grunt then he got up and tried to charge at my uncle my uncle dodged him and I put one more shot with my 45 into his head and that was it. you never know what that bullet will do once it starts hiting bones in rickeshaing inside and what not.

it takes guts to talk about your poor shooting on an internet forum, but here goes...

my worst was when i was 13 years old. my sister (17 at the time) and i were antelope hunting and had just sat down on a ridge to glass the next. Next thing we know, a herd of antelope come up and over the ridge we had just left and there is a decent 12-inch buck in the group. well, they were about 300 yards away, walking, and my sister let me shoot at the buck. I shot once and missed. the antelope started to move a little faster. I shot again and the buck laid down, but kept his head up. So, I proceeded to empty my rifle (3 more shots) and never touched it. once i stopped firing, my sister said "why don't you reload and get closer?".

I admit, I was (and still am at times) an idiot.

berto

Cow elk hunting a few years back I came across a cow that had been wounded. She was laying down but still had her head up. I don't think she could get up. This is at about 10-15 yards. I put one right between between her eyes. It knocked her head back. The she lifted her head back up and looked at me. I shot her with a 300mag and it blew everything from the eyes up off. I don't know how she managed to lift her head without a brain but she did. Held her head up for about 30 seconds before the lights went out.

8 times, twice! My first big whitetail took 8 shots @ 300 yds. My Alaskan Moose took 8 also.

I cannot believe you guys are actually counting shots. One I can understand.......but 25? For me, once I remember I shot way too much. Another time, more times than it should have taken. Another time, I kept on missing. There is more I am sure. Forgive me for not being a marksman, but hey, I still get excited.

Key word in the question is "take". My answer is two shots, one to drop and one to dispatch, had to do that just a few times, including this year.

Glad you didn't ask how many shots have you taken at an animal.....that would've been 5 shots (twice) due to buck fever both times on some pretty big racked muleys. Never touched either animal, couldn't believe it, but am really glad I didn't wound them. Stupid move to shoot when you're shaking. Take a few seconds to compose and then re-focus and then shoot.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom