Spending pts in CO 3rd year in a row

Sherlock

Wasn’t the plan this year, but now my oldest son is finally ready to cash out his NR points. We’ve hunted CO for elk and deer hunts for his younger siblings at lesser point levels, so we know a few lower tier units.

He has 12 deer points and 9 elk points. I’m kinda leaning towards just doing the deer this year and saving the elk for next year. TBD. In any case, for deer, I’m looking at the following:

1) 76, muzzy
2) 66, 2nd rifle
3) 40, 3rd rifle
4) 44, early rifle (although he has almost double the points needed for that hunt, so maybe it’s not so great?)

Which of these would you recommend and why?
(We prefer backcountry hunts with our pack goats.)

If you want to use the goats ( as in they would actually help ) then cross 40 3rd and 66 2nd ( with some snow up high anyway ) off your list.

Interestingly, the whole pack goats being a disease vector for bighorn sheep was litigated in the courts about a decade ago. Proven that they are decidedly not and ruled accordingly. Access can no longer be prohibited to packers with pack goats. Notably, the pack goats have made our hunts much more enjoyable and successful. Just have to get away from all the people and their dogs.

Given youre ability to get back there and away from the crowd, 66 2nd rifle could be interesting. Barring a large early fall dumping of snow which has happened maybe 2 times in the last decade, you could potentially have a good time venturing into the powderhorn wilderness as the bucks migrate down. Theres a lot country there, and lots of deer up there. Id actually wait to do it until next year when 2nd season is week earlier.

Ive heard the Unit 44 early rifle high country hunt is extremely difficult as the high basins are so swamped with recreationalists now the deer dont hang up there as much, they stay in the dark timber down lower making them basically impossible to find.

Interestingly, the whole pack goats being a disease vector for bighorn sheep was litigated in the courts about a decade ago. Proven that they are decidedly not and ruled accordingly. Access can no longer be prohibited to packers with pack goats. Notably, the pack goats have made our hunts much more enjoyable and successful. Just have to get away from all the people and their dogs.
pack goats can transmit diseases to bighorn sheep. It is not worth the risk. The forest service has actually restricted pack goats in some areas due to this. Do a little research on it.

Good luck on CO! If I knew anything about those units I would share it

Pm sent on hunt ideas.
Interestingly, the whole pack goats being a disease vector for bighorn sheep was litigated in the courts about a decade ago. Proven that they are decidedly not and ruled accordingly. Access can no longer be prohibited to packers with pack goats.
This is not completely true. An overall ban can not be in place without explanation. Forest Service can prohibit goats in designated areas. This link contains an explanation of the law suit and how Forest Service lands can be excluded from goat use.
Colorado FS statement page 30
WAFWA
You do seem like a responsible user and there currently are not restrictions so enjoy the hunt you choose.

After the 2nd season storms we’ve had the last 2 years, you could find yourself in a bad way with 2 plus feet of snow on the ground… the high country hunts are fun but they are far from what they used to be that’s for sure. The 44 early rifle tag is about as tough as they come, mainly being that very few deer in that unit even summer in the high country. Of what you’ve listed I would go 40 3rd season. There are some parts of that unit where goats could work for you… I’ve had multiple friends use goats in there for hunting.

Going to say 40 3rd by a long margin. Good country for using the goats in, and last year that 3rd will be a guaranteed rut hunt

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom