Tule Elk Antler Growth

Buzzy

What are guys seeing out there for antler growth? Figuring with 2 good winters they should have some great racks this year.

It was mentioned there have been 2 good winters. Thought this link to 3 maps of rainfall and temperature for the year so far in California might be on interest for elk or deer hunters.

https://www.pcwa.net/water-year-dashboard
Thanks for sharing. Interesting as when I do a search I find the complete opposite of this map with only 1% of CA considered still in a drought. The data between this map and the few I took the time to look at are completely different.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting as when I do a search I find the complete opposite of this map with only 1% of CA considered still in a drought. The data between this map and the few I took the time to look at are completely different.
The map that Yalo linked to is not a drought map. It is showing the amount of rainfall in inches on the left, percent of normal to date in the middle and the temp map on the right. Don't let the red on the map confuse you with drought conditions.

The map that Yalo linked to is not a drought map. It is showing the amount of rainfall in inches on the left, percent of normal to date in the middle and the temp map on the right. Don't let the red on the map confuse you with drought conditions.
Ahhh, I get it now. Thanks

Buzzy I have the same concerns yet for areas I am more familiar with the maps seems close. Like Indepenence California which seems way less rain than usual? One groups drought requirments or defnition may vary with another as well. Or how drought defined? Another link for Cali.

https://cww.water.ca.gov/service/document/hydroreport?_=1664980284640

What ever data put together and posted on the web, it is what it is regardless if data is correct or not or how summaries are determined?

Thanks for observation backcounrtybutcher....but which Tule Elk herd / area?

Last edited:
Saw a group of about 40 Owens Valley Tule Elk November 1 last year near Manzanar. Only one observable rack in my quick look. I usually see 3-5 racks in elk groups in that area in years past? Anyone else have sightings to report?

BTW my research shows Independence California had about 50 percent of normal precipitation and Bishop had about 100 percent from November 1 to end of April.

Stop it, stop it--all of you. There are no Tule elk in California. Like all other smart folks, they left for greener pastures. I hear they moved to Idaho.

So to recap, do NOT put in for Tule elk in California--they're all gone.

Stop it, stop it--all of you. There are no Tule elk in California. Like all other smart folks, they left for greener pastures. I hear they moved to Idaho.

So to recap, do NOT put in for Tule elk in California--they're all gone.
If I get drawn this year, there might be one Tule elk moving to ID

IMG_1075.jpeg

The fish and game along with Cal Trans want to put up an Elk crossing overpass on Hi 20 right before the passing lane starts , they say the elk are interbreeding 🤣, only $12 million on that project, it connects between two private cattle ranches , what a waste of money , but it would be a great place for a ground blind 🤣

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom