utah elk numbers?

cantkillathing

Very Active Member
Some of you may know this, and understand how it works. So I have always heard or been under the impression that Utah elk populations numbers were set by Legislation and that DWR cannot change the numbers or increase numbers, is this correct, and if so where can i find the information.
Thanks,

Some of you may know this, and understand how it works. So I have always heard or been under the impression that Utah elk populations numbers were set by Legislation and that DWR cannot change the numbers or increase numbers, is this correct, and if so where can i find the information.
Thanks,

Scroll down to the "statewide big game management plans" section and you should be able to find some answers.

As far as the legislation setting the population numbers I am not so sure about that. I do know the season dates are loosely bound by state legislation because the rifle deer season has to be held at the end of October, the rest of the season dates are plugged in based off when that occurs every years.

Scroll down to the "statewide big game management plans" section and you should be able to find some answers.

As far as the legislation setting the population numbers I am not so sure about that. I do know the season dates are loosely bound by state legislation because the rifle deer season has to be held at the end of October, the rest of the season dates are plugged in based off when that occurs every years.
I believe the deer season is always the third Saturday in October that hasn't changed since I was a kid

All of the regional "committees" that set the unit population objectives have Ag interests well represented. This is done every 5 years unless there are circumstances that require more immediate action.
Draw your own conclusions on who has most say on population objectives.

All of the regional "committees" that set the unit population objectives have Ag interests well represented. This is done every 5 years unless there are circumstances that require more immediate action.
Draw your own conclusions on who has most say on population objectives.
Definitely some truth to that.

Ag and livestock producers dictate population numbers more than the DWR does. It’s disgusting how much pull we allow them to have. It’s fine to have an opinion and some weight in the final decisions on the matter, but the power they have been allowed to have is very imbalanced. They have all but wiped out certain populations over the years due to their non stop whining and complaining about public natural resources competing with private resources on mostly public lands. And what they pay annually for public grazing permits per cow/calf pair is a joke compared to what they will sell these same animals for later on down the road. Once again public resources get absolutely raped. If they had their way, wildlife populations would be at a number of 0 on your public land.

If I was king for a day, the cancellation of $FW and knocking the livestock producers down a peg or 5 would be the first things I’d do. 3rd would be the elimination of guiding on public lands, but that a topic for another day.

I don't think we have to draw any conclusions. The ag community absolutely pulls more weight here than we do as hunters.

And I'm not sure it's even close.
The most of the individuals in the agri community are members of a quasi union. It’s well funded, well manned, a major major legislative lobbing organization. Something the sport hunting community has failed at miserably. They kick our butts just about anytime they choose to.

You’re dead on Vanilla……. It’s not even close.

The most of the individuals in the agri community are members of a quasi union. It’s well funded, well manned, a major major legislative lobbing organization. Something the sport hunting community has failed at miserably. They kick our butts just about anytime they choose to.

You’re dead on Vanilla……. It’s not even close.
Well....they provide WAY more money and product to the economy too....

Well....they provide WAY more money and product to the economy too....

Do they? Fishing and hunting was a $7 billion per year venture each year in Utah alone back in 2010. (That was a figure the state used back then when I was involved in other issues.)

Does cattle and sheep exceed $7 billion per year in Utah? Maybe. I really don’t know the answer to the question. Maybe it is a lot more? I just want to point out that hunting, sportsmen activities, and outdoor recreation in general individually and collectively is no slouch on the economy in our state.

Regardless of economic results, lumpy is correct- they are WELL organized and funded and wield a large, heavy, sharp sword. We do not. We can’t even get over the fact that the guy with a rifle might shoot that deer I think I’m entitled to with my bow!

LIVESTOCK GRAZING AND PUBLIC LANDS

This publication will only provide data on the use of public and private lands in Utah by domestic livestock (sheep and beef cattle are emphasized because they are the primary domestic animals that graze rangelands in Utah) and outline some of the issues that are associated with this use. Nearly three-fourths of the land area of Utah is administered by agencies of the federal or state governments (Figure 13). The two primary agencies that administer federal lands in Utah are the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the Forest Service (FS), while the State and Institutional Trust Lands Administration (SITLA) manages most of the land owned by the state of Utah. The percentage of land that is administered by a government agency or by private landowners varies widely by county (Figure 14 and Table 1). For example, nearly 90% of the land in Garfield County is administered by agencies of the federal government and 5% is privately owned, while 93% of the land in Morgan County is privately owned and 4% is administered by an agency of the federal government. The use of lands administered by the BLM and FS by livestock has varied over time. For example, data for the Forest Service indicates that permitted use by cattle, sheep, horses, and goats declined from a high of just over a million AUMs3in the 1940s to about half that amount in the 2000s(Figure 15). This decline pales in comparison to the decline in the use of BLM lands by sheep and goats (Figure 16). This decline was more than a ten-fold reduction from over 1.8 million AUMs in1940 to about 130,000 AUMs in 2006. The overall decline (cattle and sheep) in the use of BLMlands by livestock has been over two million AUMs since 1940. The decline in the use of FS lands has not been as large—about 400,000 AUMS between 1940 and 2005. Furthermore, data since 2000indicate that the trend in the use of FS lands is downward. Similar data for the BLM suggests that there was a reduction in authorized use in 2003, with increases in 2004-2006. However, the genera l trend is still downward. The decline in the use of lands administered by the BLM and FS occurred at the same time that total livestock numbers have generally been stable (Figure 17). The increase in cattle numbers has commonly offset the decline in sheep on an animal unit basis (five sheep were assumed to equal one cow). This suggests that an increasing portion of the forage used by livestock in Utah is coming from private lands (Figure 19). It should also be noted that the changes have not been uniform throughout the state (Figure 18). For example, relatively large declines occurred in urban (e.g., Salt Lake and Davis) and ―red rock‖ counties, such as San Juan. The biggest increases occurred in Box Elder, Beaver, Millard, Duchesne, Sevier, and Tooele counties. All of this suggests that adjustments have been made by producers in the counties based on factors such as urban growth, sometimes controversial grazing policies on federal lands, development and use of private lands, economic variables, and personal conditions. The desire to better understand these factors and the livestock industry in Utah have resulted in this study.

im not trying to figure a debate of cattle use on public property, i believe both are necessary. i think that there are plenty of canyons and areas that have been overgrown that need to be thinned out, and the use of cattle would be beneficial. Cattle grazing helps in my opinion,

"The statewide elk management plan does not set a population objective for elk in Utah; rather,population objectives are established in unit plans and the summation of those objectivesbecomes the statewide objective. The current population objective for elk statewide is 78,990(Table 2). Local committees or other forms of public input are used when changing apopulation objective for a given unit. Population estimates are obtained by conducting aerialsurveys every 3 years as snow conditions and budgets allow. Population models include data onbull and cow harvest, survival, and calf production, are also used to estimate elk populations fora given unit in the absence of surveys and are updated annually.

The link to unit plans.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom