Wyoming elk 62

Wapiti

Anyone hunt wyoming elk 62? I've been researching units to put in. I'm adding 62 to my list. I'm a non-res, no horses, max points. I know it's griz country which has been a reason for looking further East. But have recently been considering all the options. I've only found a few postings on other sites talking about 62. Country looks amazing. Looks steep. Looks like it could be doable on foot with some roads that take you back into a couple drainages for starting access, as long as those roads are open. Does base camping work for this unit or do you really need to pack in?
Based on onxmaps or google earth it seems it would be a very physical hunt. I'd be focused on archery then use rifle as a fall back if needed. I'd be pack'n a handgun during archery. Other units I'm considering are 38-9, 24-1, 16-1. Received some helpful info on 24 & 38 from some awesome folks on this site. Since I do have max points I want to make the best of it but need to decide soon, it's driving me crazy.
If you have any helpful Insite feel free to PM me. I'm not going to share with anyone. I have a couple brothers that would be helping on the hunt at least for some of the time. They have 0 points for Wyoming. I have no one else to share info with. Thanks!!!

I have been fortunate to chase elk in 62 as well as a few other other good NW corner units. 62 is a good unit and is one of the units that allows archery hunting with the type 1 tag which is a bonus if you want to hunt with both both weapons. Some good bulls and some beautiful scenery. Yes it can be hunted on foot and it isn't crowded during the archery season. We had decent bugling/rut activity during the archery season and saw bears daily.

If it was me and I had max points again, I would go elsewhere. You will only have max points once in your life. Max points allows you a chance at a few select opportunities that you will never have a chance at again. At least with 62 there are some tags available in the random draw that you could still apply for later after you burn your max points.

Send me a PM if you want more specifics.

I hunted 62 in 2021. I drew the tag with 1 under max points. I went with Trails West Outfitters the second week of the season and killed a very nice bull. At least for me. It’s a GREAT area for people who enjoy the wilderness because that’s what it is. However, I can’t imagine doing it without horses. At least to get the meat out. If I had max points and wanted to elk hunt in a particular year, I’d put in for one of the truly great areas as 1st choice and 62 as 2nd. And if I drew 62, I’d hire Trails West to take me hunting. You’ll have a AWESOME time. Good luck!

Mackey

I hunted 62 in 2021. I drew the tag with 1 under max points. I went with Trails West Outfitters the second week of the season and killed a very nice bull. At least for me. It’s a GREAT area for people who enjoy the wilderness because that’s what it is. However, I can’t imagine doing it without horses. At least to get the meat out. If I had max points and wanted to elk hunt in a particular year, I’d put in for one of the truly great areas as 1st choice and 62 as 2nd. And if I drew 62, I’d hire Trails West to take me hunting. You’ll have a AWESOME time. Good luck!

Mackey
It don’t do like dat.

If I had max points I wouldn't even consider 62. you're in a special pool that can draw the best hunts in the state no other NR can even apply for , choose wisely.
I get told by several people if they had max points they would even consider unit x. They say there are better units. What I don't here is what units other consider better and what makes them better. I've considered units 24, 16, 38-9, & 62. I here reports of people taking nice bulls in all these units. I beleive every unit has challenges. My goal is a 300 class bull with my bow. I'm looking for the best chance at september rut hunt with the opportunity to call in bulls.

The late Cody area hunts are better because you should kill something over 350. I would kill a 350+ bull with my max points then apply for about any unit with easy draw odds where you could find a 300 bull with a bow.

Max points for a 300 bull is like buying a GT500 to get groceries.

I hunted it a few years ago. Very Good unit. Nice elk but I would not consider it for max points. Lots of grizz - we saw grizzly almost 50% of the days we hunted/scouted. Including getting woofed at by a mad momma griz. Also had wolves move in one canyon and quiet the bulls down quickly. A lot of elk will move lower if you get snow. Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom