“Dead” buck runs off (video)

Couple questions....

I presume you recovered it?

Exactly what was hanging put? Appears to be diaphragm to me? Or was it farther back?

Pretty crazy.

That's crazy!
I also hope you found him.
Nice buck!
Wondering, also, why the initial approach without some means of finishing him off?
Cool, scary video ....if the buck was recovered.
Thanks for sharing,
Zeke

Yeah, it was recovered about an hour after it ran off. Undoubtedly, should’ve had the rifle. At the time, it went down so hard on the second shot and looked like a spine shot. We watched it for about 10 minutes and it didn’t move at all. Mistakenly figured it was done. Yeah, I know, dumb move. Funny thing…my buddy thought closed eyes meant dead. So, yeah, when he told me they were closed I immediately felt panic, and pretty quick after that is when it ran off. The tracking job afterwards was done with rifle in hand.

72F31E2D-88AB-422D-8A43-F97140AC1A1F.jpeg

Couple questions....

I presume you recovered it?

Exactly what was hanging put? Appears to be diaphragm to me? Or was it farther back?

Pretty crazy.
It was stomach. It wasn’t punctured, but internal pressure built up and the stomach found it’s way through the hole. Both of his shots hit too far back. First one left as it moved right. Then next one right as it faced left. His final shot after we found it barely alive was from 3 inches into upper neck. Didn’t miss that shot.

Lucky that deer chose flight over fight……. could very easily been a second and third chapter to this hunt.

Feed bad for the gent. Clearly, there’s more to this adventure that we know about.

He was hold’en back. It’s hard to remember all the does and don’t on your first deer down. Least he didn’t go charging in there, grab an antler and flop down for a trophy photo, like we’ve watched a few fellers do.

Last edited:
Lucky that deer choice flight over fight……. could very easily been a second and third chapter to this hunt.

Feed bad for the gent. Clearly, there’s more to this adventure that we know about.

He was hold’en back. It’s hard to remember all the does and don’t on your first deer down. Least he didn’t go charging in there, grab an antler and flop down for a trophy photo, like we’ve watched a few fellers do.
I could try to post video of that 2nd shot that knocked it down, but it’s not pretty. Not sure if it’ll set off too much controversy. If folks mostly want to see it, I’ll post it.

Last edited:
So…. Sherlock……. You showed us the “oh, chit” part and you’re not gonna flash up a “nice buck. Congrats.” photo?

Just say’en………… we wanna see the happy ending.

Oops, maybe I spoke too soon. Sorry!

Complete dereliction of duty by both you and your buddy. Too captured by wanting to look good on video to adhere to the most rudimentary duties as a sportsman. That buck deserved way better than that. You two are a fuggin’ embarrassment.

Complete dereliction of duty by both you and your buddy. Too captured by wanting to look good on video to adhere to the most rudimentary duties as a sportsman. That buck deserved way better than that. You two are a fuggin’ embarrassment.
I expected some responses like that. Mostly surprised anyone would think a couple of us old fogies look good.

Very unique video.! My uncle once shot a nice big 4 point. On the shot, the thing dropped like a ton of bricks. We gathered our things and started making our way around towards him. About halfway there, I look up and see his head up, then, he gets up and stats trotting straight away from us. He presented no shot. My uncle went to the spot where the buck had dropped, while my dad and I made a wide circle to maybe cut the buck off at the next ridge. Unfortunately, the buck made it over the ridge before us, and we heard 3 shots ring out. Killed by someone else.

At the spot my uncle dropped him, there was absolutely no blood, or hair or anything. Best we figured, his shot hit the bucks antler and knocked him out for about 10 minutes... Always best to be prepared for a live animal...

Congrats on the kill. He's a nice buck.!

Oh please. That is a pretty harsh reaction for something like this. No harm done and they learned a valuable lesson.

Yes, I know, The poor deer. Yes, bad deal but I'm sure they won't do it again.

Thanks for the final chapter. Just a reminder none of us are perfect and you never can be certain what will happen.

I'm glad you recovered the animal.

The "dereliction of duty" would have been to just walk away at the moment of the video and not follow up. I say good job on that part ?

Pretty humble admission of mistakes made, imo.

It’s actually an excellent piece of real life hunting. Not saying it was a proud moment for the hunter or his buddy, but they had the personal character to publicly share a reasonably common mistake or three. Never saw nor heard them defend their actions.

If I were still teaching hunter safety classes, I would ask permission to show this video to my students, as a real life example of what can happen if good hunting practices are not use in the field. Students and instructor could have a very fruitful discussion and learning experience by using this video as a teaching tool for other hunters, learning the reasons why we teach them the things we do.

Personally, I respect their sharing the experience.

Here’s what I think is a “fuggin embrassassment.”

24 mule deer in my yard in South Central Utah. This yearlying has been breeding them all, one at a time, starting Nov. 14th. Not another buck to been seen. In a larger group of does that are out at the western edge of town, there are two yearlying bucks breeding those 50/60 does.

Now, if we going to point fingers at embarrassments…………. this is a much more serious problem. IMO.

B4FF344E-6EA5-4F1C-A31C-B8586CB4B2FD.jpeg

D501E747-D93E-4052-A2E6-F90B1F35246D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1705.MOV
    33.8 MB
Last edited:

24 mule deer in my yard in South Central Utah. This yearlying has been breeding them all, one at a time, starting Nov. 14th. Not another buck to been seen. In a larger group of does that are out at the western edge of town, there are two yearlying bucks breeding those 50/60 does.

Now, if we going to point fingers at embarrassments…………. this is a much more serious problem. IMO.

View attachment 94016

View attachment 94017
Lucky bastard!

Hey Lumpy!

That's Standard DRATville Genetics Right There!

The Fawn Breeding His Mother!

View attachment 94016

View attachment 94017

looks like his shot went perfectly through that area between the upper and lower thoracic cavities.

it happens, i know way to many hunters who have shot a leg off. at least they are up front about it and track it down.

happy you were able to retrieve. i’m sure he ran steaight for the nastiest timber dead fall nightmare.

Thanks for sharing. It is easy to get complacent, but in the real world sometimes crap happens. It’s better to always be ready, and this is a good reminder for all of us. Like you said, I’m sure lesson was learned and that won’t ever happen again, and you’ve probably helped some others to not do it either by sharing your experience. So again, thanks for sharing!

I know there are some that pretend they’ve never made a mistake before, but we all know better.

This year, I saw a nice 3X3 cross the road in front of me and run down over the bank. I grabbed my rifle and followed. About 100 yards down the hill, I see him looking up at me broadside. Like every other blacktail I've shot with my .300 Win Mag he dropped like a ton of bricks. I watched for a couple minutes with no movement so decided to hustle back to the truck and grab my backpack with all my tools, knife, bone saw, deer bag, etc. On the way back I got to where I shot and see him standing up. I took a quick shot as he was running away but I must have missed. He disappeared and I never saw him again. I'm 74 and that's the first deer that I've failed to recover. It will haunt me for a long time. You can't take anything for granted.

I videoed my buddy getting his first muley buck yesterday. Not exactly great shots made, but it went down hard after being hit twice. Then this happened:
Be careful posting on this site. It’s clear full of internet hunting police that don’t have anything better to do than judge people for not being ethical or doing something wrong. Undoubtably, I’m sure they are just perfect hunters themselves.

Yeah, it was recovered about an hour after it ran off. Undoubtedly, should’ve had the rifle. At the time, it went down so hard on the second shot and looked like a spine shot. We watched it for about 10 minutes and it didn’t move at all. Mistakenly figured it was done. Yeah, I know, dumb move. Funny thing…my buddy thought closed eyes meant dead. So, yeah, when he told me they were closed I immediately felt panic, and pretty quick after that is when it ran off. The tracking job afterwards was done with rifle in hand.

View attachment 93978
Yeah.....I flinched watching the vid when he said "closed"...very glad it ended right.

Last edited:
Yeah.....I flinched watching the vid when he said "closed"...very glad it ended right.
Proof that one of the two knew what he was doing……

How many of having looked back on some wrecks and said, “Damn, I should have said something when we left the truck…….”

Proof that one of the two knew what he was doing……

How many of having looked back on some wrecks and said, “Damn, I should have said something when we left the truck…….”
Right?....and if he had hesitated to shoot the neck for long....that full speed dead away run would not have been a cake walk....

Right?....and if he had hesitated to shoot the neck for long....that full speed dead away run would not have been a cake walk....
I’ve missed that shot………. more times than I’d like to admit. One that is imprinted in my mind’s eye for ever!!!

Be careful posting on this site. It’s clear full of internet hunting police that don’t have anything better to do than judge people for not being ethical or doing something wrong. Undoubtably, I’m sure they are just perfect hunters themselves.

How many of the 51 posts in this thread have been judging and negative?

“Clear full?” Maybe a bit dramatic.

I'm personally glad you shared the video. A lot of people will learn from it and become better hunters because of it. Sometimes the best lessons are the hardest learned and this may save someone from having to learn the hard way. Great job to follow up and congrats to the hunter!

I was guiding a client on nilgai, 7RM right in the neck cratered him though DRT , I guess he missed the spine, and shocked him , it jumped up as we approached, we couldn’t get a second shot off, luckily I found the same bull with a different guy, broken neck this time
on skinning, I found the 1st bullet . It entered, didn’t exit, lodgEd about 1 inch from exit
no major damage, wild animal are tough, thankfully it wasn’t a dangerous animal!
these assume shots are exactly as it’s spelled (ass U me)

Sherlock: Thank you for posting that. It’s a great lesson and it does happen. I have seen it happen twice; one of the times was with Bess. The other time was my dads deer hunt.
Both ended well, fortunately.
I have made many mistakes in the field and I appreciate you posting the video.

Hey woodruff!

That Day Goes on one of The Coldest Days I've Ever Been in My Life!

Not The Top Coldest Day!

But Definitely On The List!

Sherlock: Thank you for posting that. It’s a great lesson and it does happen. I have seen it happen twice; one of the times was with Bess. The other time was my dads deer hunt.
Both ended well, fortunately.
I have made many mistakes in the field and I appreciate you posting the video.

Hey woodruff!

That Day Goes on one of The Coldest Days I've Ever Been in My Life!

Not The Top Coldest Day!

But Definitely On The List!
Yes, for me as well. I still feel guilty for you riding in the back of the truck for a few miles. Wet in the morning and below zero and wind an hour or two later.

I still have no idea how you found that elk. It is a hunt we will always remember!

Crap happens. My wife’s first buck tag she shot a buck hit it hard and it went down. While she was composing herself it got back up and took off… We figured it was down for good.

2.5 hours later and a couple miles later we ended up finishing it off… when it first happened she was crying, hunting is stupid, I am going to quit. I finally got irritated and said, mistakes happen we all make them. Every hunter who has ever hunted has made mistakes. The difference is how you react. You have one job and one job only. Ending this as quickly and humanely as possible…

We all make mistakes, it is how we respond and follow up that determines the quality of our character…

Last edited:
A Pepsi delivery driver I knew in Grand Junction showed me a photo with him and a pretty nice bull. The only problem was he walked up to it after the shot, hung his rifle on the rack and his buddy took a hero photo. The bull got up and ran away. They never did find his rifle.

My dad shot a buck up on Baxter Pass and when he walked up to it, it got up and charged him doing some damage to his leg before it ran away.

A Pepsi delivery driver I knew in Grand Junction showed me a photo with him and a pretty nice bull. The only problem was he walked up to it after the shot, hung his rifle on the rack and his buddy took a hero photo. The bull got up and ran away. They never did find his rifle.

My dad shot a buck up on Baxter Pass and when he walked up to it, it got up and charged him doing some damage to his leg before it ran away.
ohhhffff and baxter pass is a hell of a walk

Dang....that's crazy. Buck definitely looked dead when you were walking up. Learn something new every day. I didn't realize that about their eyes being closed. Good to know.

Hey woodruff!

We Had Some Fun/Work That Day!:D

I Can't Stand To Know When There is a Wounded Animal Out There someone can't Find!

I had A Perty Good Record At Helping Other Hunters Finding Animals until just a Few Years ago!

I've struck Out a Few Times Now But Still Enjoy Helping People!

All We Can Do is Give Our Best Efforts!

Yes, for me as well. I still feel guilty for you riding in the back of the truck for a few miles. Wet in the morning and below zero and wind an hour or two later.

I still have no idea how you found that elk. It is a hunt we will always remember!

Hey woodruff!

We Had Some Fun/Work That Day!:D

I Can't Stand To Know When There is a Wounded Animal Out There someone can't Find!

I had A Perty Good Record At Helping Other Hunters Finding Animals until just a Few Years ago!

I've struck Out a Few Times Now But Still Enjoy Helping People!

All We Can Do is Give Our Best Efforts!
I remember that day, BC. That was the trip you made, in a snow storm, if I recall correctly. Reading that post was when I decided you were a great guy and when I decided not to drive over to your place and torch your pickup!!!!

Many many years ago too.

True story!!! ???

Yes Lumpy!

One Of the Worst WHITE-OUTS I've Ever Seen!

I Actually Drove Past The Evanston Off Ramp,I Couldn't See Anything,The Signs were covered in Snow & Ice,I Finally decided i Had Missed The Turn-Off & Down Through The Median I Went & Back The Other Way,Found The Off-Ramp & Too woodruff's Place I Went!

There's Only One Place Colder in Utah Than Where I Live!:D

I remember that day, BC. That was the trip you made, in a snow storm, if I recall correctly. Reading that post was when I decided you were a great guy and when I decided not to drive over to your place and torch your pickup!!!!

Many many years ago too.

True story!!! ???
You wouldn't be the first guy from mm to show up at the bobcats door looking for a fight.

That's a true story as well. ? ? ?

Yes Lumpy!

One Of the Worst WHITE-OUTS I've Ever Seen!

I Actually Drove Past The Evanston Off Ramp,I Couldn't See Anything,The Signs were covered in Snow & Ice,I Finally decided i Had Missed The Turn-Off & Down Through The Median I Went & Back The Other Way,Found The Off-Ramp & Too woodruff's Place I Went!

There's Only One Place Colder in Utah Than Where I Live!:D
Well you’ve had ally in the in MM mine fields every since, my friend. That one and the Dutton hunt for StinkyStomper iced it!!

I’m sure there has been many others. You’ve set a great example for all of us.

Lol, there is a story, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember all the details. Guy was from NV if I remember right.
Was he a Vegas City Police officer BC?

I had one of those show up at my door once……. that I wanted to fight…..

I helped a meat processor a little bit In high school. And this isn’t even close to the worst thing I’ve see. I’d say 50% of the shots I’d seen were absolutely terrible. I’m sure the war stories that were told about those shots weren’t accurate either.

First thing, glad you found the buck, and congrats to the hunter.

Second thing, thanks for posting. I can't say I've ever approached a "dead" animal without a weapon, but after seeing this, I've learned a lesson the easy way.

And finally, I shot an antelope once. Fell down, all 4 feet kicking up in the air. As I stood up, he got up and ran away. I was able to get a second shot and put him down, but as my BIL and I field dressed him, we realized there was only one bullet hole. We think the first shot was just over the back with the shock wave paralyzing him for a few seconds.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing.

The last 3 mule deer I have killed was from the top of a Mesa shot from 150-250 yards at the bottom. I waited for 15 min with my gun at the ready before hiking down to the buck. Even then I kept my rifle at the ready until I could touch him.

And the reason I did that? You guys know why. The past. It always amazes me that there are people out there who have never made a mistake.

My BIL grab a big WT buck by the horns and bulldogged him down while another little guy cut his throat I wish we had a video camera back then. I bet this type of thing has happen alot more then you guys think. I was 14 years old then.

I was hunting antelope and had wounded one...broke his back and he was still alive. I was a young hunter then. I was sick because I knew I'd have to "put him down" at close range. Being young, I hadn't had to deal with this before so I walked up to him and put the bore behind his head and pulled the trigger. My ears rang, debris blew back in my face and the goats eyes nearly popped out of his head. It was an ugly scene. Never take the put down shot at point blank range.

I was hunting antelope and had wounded one...broke his back and he was still alive. I was a young hunter then. I was sick because I knew I'd have to "put him down" at close range. Being young, I hadn't had to deal with this before so I walked up to him and put the bore behind his head and pulled the trigger. My ears rang, debris blew back in my face and the goats eyes nearly popped out of his head. It was an ugly scene. Never take the put down shot at point blank range.
Same thing happened to me with a mule deer. I was gonna back up and finish him off, but my BIL walked up and put the barrel somewhere on the chest cavity and boom! Don't recall that he had quite the experience you did. And yes, I can see your "video" now! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom