072 -074 bull Elk

Troy03

Hello all, Long time follower on here, so I decided to make an account(finally). I drew a 07-074 archery bull tag this year, took my first scouting trip up there this last weekend. I spent most of my time in the 76 creek area. Saw some sign of elk, just none through glass. I'm not sure if they are are moving around during dark right now or not. My next trip up is going to be in another week. I'm looking to scout around T creek, Draw creek, and Mary's river basin. Is this a good place to look or should I be focusing up in the northern part of the wilderness? I will be going up there every other weekend till opener. I did see a bunch off deer though. Any pointers would be much appreciated! I posted this in the general elk forum, but feel like its better suited here.

I did the muzzleloader hunt there last year. Great hunt.
There were bulls in the places you talked about.
Look inside of the wilderness, probably won't find them by the roads.

I did the muzzleloader hunt there last year. Great hunt.
There were bulls in the places you talked about.
Look inside of the wilderness, probably won't find them by the roads.
II figure I will be heading into the wilderness at least a couple miles, looking at my season it will be pr-rut. So I'm not sure if I'll have any luck with calls. Thank you for the info.

II figure I will be heading into the wilderness at least a couple miles, looking at my season it will be pr-rut. So I'm not sure if I'll have any luck with calls. Thank you for the info.
Leave your calls at home stalk them like deer. Get up high and glass inside the wilderness you will find elk.

My son and I drove from CA and was in the same area, did a 9.5 mile hike into the wilderness from the south end on Friday, then pulled out and up to the 76 area Friday and Saturday. We saw elk early and late, it was hot and the bugs were terrible. I have the first rifle hunt so our seasons will be different, but the elk we saw were at the top. I'll shoot you a PM.

I've got a late bull tag in 072-074. We were out there all day yesterday. Lots of rain/snow in the wilderness. Wish we would've been there a few days earlier with you guys.
20200629_112509.jpg

I think yesterday was the worst day. Just happened to be the only day we could be out there. At least for the next few weeks. Probably good practice for the late hunt. Some of those roads got real nasty real quick.

If your willing to work for one you may check out the gods pocket area. Not many guys are willing to do it but you will find elk, probably more in archery than some of the other spots you mentioned

I hunted the muzzy hunt last year. I spent my time in the north end of the unit in the wilderness. Saw 49 bulls in a day and a half of scouting on one if the scouting trips. Get high and look down into the canyons. Should be alot of elk in the wilderness. Good luck!

For those of you that hunted in the wilderness, I have the early rifle tag, does Mary's River flow year around? My son and I had four water crossings on the trail we took, wondering if the water will be flowing high enough in October to worry about those crossings.

_DSC4149.jpg

For those of you that hunted in the wilderness, I have the early rifle tag, does Mary's River flow year around? My son and I had four water crossings on the trail we took, wondering if the water will be flowing high enough in October to worry about those crossings.

View attachment 9644
I know the trail you were on, there will be water in it all year. Pretty good fishing in it though if you have time

I just found out I drew this tag as an alternate. Coming from CA I won't be able to make a scouting trip for a couple weeks. I will most likely be hunting solo so anyone know any reliable packers working the wilderness?

I just found out I drew this tag as an alternate. Coming from CA I won't be able to make a scouting trip for a couple weeks. I will most likely be hunting solo so anyone know any reliable packers working the wilderness?

I used Cottonwood Ranch to pack out my bull from the muzzy hunt a few years ago. I had a great experience working with them both having all my questions answered ahead of time, and on the pack out. I thought the price was a little steep, but in my mind, I was paying to be able to hunt wherever I wanted in the wilderness, so worth it.

Ryan - I have the same tag and coming from CA as well. I've went in July and going again this weekend. Happy to share the information I've been able to pull together. Let me know if you have questions.

Terry

Ryan - I have the same tag and coming from CA as well. I've went in July and going again this weekend. Happy to share the information I've been able to pull together. Let me know if you have questions.

Terry

I would love to share info with you. I’ll send my phone number privately and we can communicate that way.

I think yesterday was the worst day. Just happened to be the only day we could be out there. At least for the next few weeks. Probably good practice for the late hunt. Some of those roads got real nasty real quick.

Great to stumble across you and your brother Friday. Stay in touch

Just got back from another weekend scouting trip, 93 degrees is hot.

For any of you that have hunted the wilderness in the past, did you run into the sheep and did that impact the elk in the general area? The sheep herders have a base camp at the trail head, a camp about 3.5 miles in, and a pretty good herd of sheep they are pushing around with dogs and horses.

1596477550542.png

From my personal observations, the elk will not be hanging out where the sheep are. However, they may be not far away.

Got back from another weekend of scouting. Man those Elk are up high! I cant blame them, it was hot up there this last week. looks like feed and water is still abundant for their movements.

For those of you that have packed out a bull by yourself or with some one else deep in the wilderness, did you have any issues with meat spoiling in the heat?

Thanks, that's the plan! I feel like it should only take 3-4 trips to get it all out. hopefully....
Unless your built like a draft horse getting a bull out by yourself miles deep in the Jarbige wilderness will likely be an eye opening experience....especially during the month of August. Not saying it can’t be done because many have done it but....you better hope it’s all down hill! If you cross paths with a guy and a couple horses you may want to make friends with him. Best of luck. That place is awesome.

Just got back from another weekend scouting trip, 93 degrees is hot.

For any of you that have hunted the wilderness in the past, did you run into the sheep and did that impact the elk in the general area? The sheep herders have a base camp at the trail head, a camp about 3.5 miles in, and a pretty good herd of sheep they are pushing around with dogs and horses.

View attachment 10923

Killed an elk with a Pyrenees barking at our heels 3 years ago. Elk won't be with the sheep but they don't seem that bothered either....

I was there from the 3rd to the 6th. I saw two bulls up high and one down low. Didn't get to really scout cause I had my wife with me. In the past I personally have put meat in a creek to keep it cool but since then I've read that you dont want water on the meat. I have a Jarbidge bull tag this year in September and I will be putting meat in quarter bags then put them in contractor garbage bags and then put them in a creek.
Also, I've seen posters at trail heads where the local outfitter has people who will pack your elk out on horses for a fee. At 57 years old I've decided to have funds ready to go that route if I choose. Fatrooster.

20170907_101734.jpg
This poster is from 2018. I have not called them to see if they are still doing this so be aware and make a call if you are interested. Yes it is expensive. Fatrooster

I have a late rifle tag there this year. I've talked to both Cottonwood Ranch & Prunty Ranch. Both still offer pack out service. One starts at $750, the other at $800. Those prices depend on location, so it could end up being a lot more. Still well worth it if you ask me.

Last edited:
The sheep will be in there heavy if you are planning on the SE section of the wilderness. It’s gonna be a factor for you guys. It’s a bummer that they moved the archery season up a few years ago- I had my tag in ‘16 when it was still a September tag and the sheep had cleared-out. Tremendous hunt. The muzzy guys have it easy in NV, it’s a tough bow hunt in August.

I helped a buddy two seasons ago on his bow tag and we had success treating it similar to a archery deer tag; glassing bachelor groups of bulls and stalking into position above or in ambush points near bedding areas. Calling was really ineffective- too early.

We met another duo of bow hunters who killed a decent bull by sitting over water all day. We didn’t have the patience for that.

When a bull hits the dirt up there, you should have a plan. I was solo in ‘16 and it was a slog over a day and a half to get my bull out. I found a shaded-in spring up in the quakies and kept my meat cool by bending a small aspen over the spring, hanging bags and covering my bags with fir branches. I am not a brute-force guy, and most of my meat bags are in the 20-30# range of boned-out meat. I can usually get a couple bags per run. That area has the advantage of having huge super-highway trails accessing most sections of the wilderness so I would jam as soon as I hit the trail. My bull was less than two miles off the trail, so that was my only real time-suck as I moved through some nasty country to get to the meat-stash/ kill-site. I brought my running shoes with me and ran from the trailhead back to the meat each trip with my boots, poles and a water-filter in the pack. It was pretty effective. I love running trail anyhow so it was a good time saver. 5 trips for me. Big, strong guys could probably cut that down to 3-4 total trips.

Man, that second day sucked and I was really beat-up by the time I finished. I would consider Cottonwood if you aren’t in great shape or don’t have a couple other backpackers in your arsenal. They can get to most of the southeast trailheads inside a couple hours and horses to your meat in a couple more. I couldn’t afford the price-tag on horses, but it’s awesome if you can. I killed a couple cows on the October cow hunt in there and went with buddies who had horses and it was awesome- two of my favorite hunts. So easy.

Best of luck. Hope you get your bull- that unit group needs to knock-down the elk population so the mulies can bounce-back IMO.

The sheep will be in there heavy if you are planning on the SE section of the wilderness. It’s gonna be a factor for you guys. It’s a bummer that they moved the archery season up a few years ago- I had my tag in ‘16 when it was still a September tag and the sheep had cleared-out. Tremendous hunt. The muzzy guys have it easy in NV, it’s a tough bow hunt in August.

I helped a buddy two seasons ago on his bow tag and we had success treating it similar to a archery deer tag; glassing bachelor groups of bulls and stalking into position above or in ambush points near bedding areas. Calling was really ineffective- too early.

We met another duo of bow hunters who killed a decent bull by sitting over water all day. We didn’t have the patience for that.

When a bull hits the dirt up there, you should have a plan. I was solo in ‘16 and it was a slog over a day and a half to get my bull out. I found a shaded-in spring up in the quakies and kept my meat cool by bending a small aspen over the spring, hanging bags and covering my bags with fir branches. I am not a brute-force guy, and most of my meat bags are in the 20-30# range of boned-out meat. I can usually get a couple bags per run. That area has the advantage of having huge super-highway trails accessing most sections of the wilderness so I would jam as soon as I hit the trail. My bull was less than two miles off the trail, so that was my only real time-suck as I moved through some nasty country to get to the meat-stash/ kill-site. I brought my running shoes with me and ran from the trailhead back to the meat each trip with my boots, poles and a water-filter in the pack. It was pretty effective. I love running trail anyhow so it was a good time saver. 5 trips for me. Big, strong guys could probably cut that down to 3-4 total trips.

Man, that second day sucked and I was really beat-up by the time I finished. I would consider Cottonwood if you aren’t in great shape or don’t have a couple other backpackers in your arsenal. They can get to most of the southeast trailheads inside a couple hours and horses to your meat in a couple more. I couldn’t afford the price-tag on horses, but it’s awesome if you can. I killed a couple cows on the October cow hunt in there and went with buddies who had horses and it was awesome- two of my favorite hunts. So easy.

Best of luck. Hope you get your bull- that unit group needs to knock-down the elk population so the mulies can bounce-back IMO.
Awesome! thanks for the info.
luckily I'm in good shape to where 100 lbs. on my back is very doable for several trips at distance.

Drew, now don’t cut yourself short....I’ve seen you hike up and down the mountains! LOL Thanks for sharing the picture of the guides. I understand a license is required to “pack” out game via horse back when for hire? Fine line there...wish I could be with you on your Elk Hunt this year. Two old guys chasing Bulls! LOL

I was there from the 3rd to the 6th. I saw two bulls up high and one down low. Didn't get to really scout cause I had my wife with me. In the past I personally have put meat in a creek to keep it cool but since then I've read that you dont want water on the meat. I have a Jarbidge bull tag this year in September and I will be putting meat in quarter bags then put them in contractor garbage bags and then put them in a creek.
Also, I've seen posters at trail heads where the local outfitter has people who will pack your elk out on horses for a fee. At 57 years old I've decided to have funds ready to go that route if I choose. Fatrooster.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom