081 deer

Hunterturbo

I was very lucky with 8 points and pulled this muzzeloader tag. I am hoping to hear some good things with this hunt from those of you that have had it in the past or have any knowledge from someone whom has. Just looking for an overall hunt eval, so to say. Weather conditions, which I know will be brutal at times. I hunted in Idaho 54 late with a friend a few years back, which is just to the north across the border. I have chukar hunted the area a few times, so I am somewhat familiar with the area. Basically, how satisfied were you with this hunt? Thanks in advance for any inquiries.
Hunterturbo

All I know is you have fantastic hunt dates, deer move in from Unit 7 and Idaho.

Your hunt has been on my app many times but I never drew it.

My advice, with no experience on this hunt, is to cover tons of ground, bucks should be around concentrations of does that time of the year. Find the does. They should be active all day.

I hunted Unit 7 early November in the 90s. The Jarbridge had just got a couple feet of snow. The deer were bailing out of 7 towards your unit.

If it's wet and warm, you may have issues getting around.

Good luck!

That was my first choice this year, unfortunately I didn't draw. I had the rifle tag last year though ?. You have one hell of a tag buddy!! I did however draw the muzzleloader bull tag that covers your unit and also the late cow tag which runs through the duration of your hunt. My brother drew the same archery bull tag, so we will be spending a lot of time in the unit this year. I will lend a hand if needed, send me a PM.

Thanks for the info guys and the well wishes. Nevadaguy I am sending you a pm. Hopefully I can help you out as well.
Hunterturbo

You have a stellar tag congratulations on the great draw, that was my first choice I drew my fourth.07 early rifle. Head over towards Bluff Creek and Cedar Mountain and over by trout Creek ranch don't forget to look over in deadline. my buddies wife Drew an elk tag in there 5 years ago and we seen 9 deer over 180" I had an elk tag 3 years ago and seen two bucks over 200" inches, was in there last year and there were so many big bucks out there. I seen to stellar non-typicals. They love that utah-idaho border. The wife has 10 points maybe next year. Hold out for a good one if you can. If you need anymore info let me know.

Have spent 20 days over the past 2 years in 081. Deer are there. Big deer are VERY scarce. 160 - 175 class deer are very doable. Pass at your own risk. Have seen only 1 buck 180+ over 2 years. Weather can help or hurt. Some good bucks in readily available areas in eastern third of top of unit. There are thick PJ's there, and it is difficult to find them. Good luck.

The goose creek country of Nevada once was known for big deer but with all the fires and now Idaho is only managing for 170 max. class bucks the quality has gone way down in 081. There really are no big deer in Utah to count on moving over to Nevada so your best bet really are the few Nevada resident deer that still exist. I would say a 170 Buck would be the top end for that unit. Just because they are hunting it late doesn't mean you will kill a giant. Actually that hurt your chances to find a big buck because it makes them more vulnerable and they are getting killed at a younger age. Anyone seeing a bunch of 180 to 200 inch bucks are exaggerating. If that were really true they would be keeping their mouth shut and putting in for that for themselves.

Thanks for everyone's input on the unit and hunt.
Expectations, I am expecting a great time with friends while chasing muley's. Do I feel that I have a chance at a big deer, sure. But that will not make or break my hunting experience.
Thanks again and please chime in if you have any other thoughts or info.
Hunterturbo

No I wont be drawing for 6 to 7 years no points. Call NDOW ask to speak to the biologist Carrie Huebner. That way the clowns that don't know what they're talking about can have it all put to rest in their own head. I can tell you right now most people couldn't tell you what a 180 inch Buck looks like let alone a 160 or 170. we have pictures of giant non-typical and 200 inch deer that we take every year how about the 398 in bull that never went into the record book out of that unit. Feel free to call Idaho Fish and Game and Utah the reason why no one's killing big deer in Utah's north-west unit has lot of private land the pausagun range and the Henry mountains are much more valuable and treasured area to deer hunters in Utah that unit in Idaho Idaho is a draw unit only and what are they give out 8 to 10 tags mabybe more now you can look right in the record book and see the 2 180s that came out of that unit right up over by deadline Ridge on Idaho side. Oh and the one I took archery that scored 191 archery.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-17 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]Oh I don't mind tell anyone any thing. Unit 231 white rock Mountain archery Muzzleloader talk to Greg Crowe, Jack brittingham,Randy Ulmer.
245 Caliente
Sheep elk Mountain Goats what do you want to know bro. Maybe some people have more time than others maybe some people have more money than other. Good luck on your hunt buddy use those resources you pay for them

Redman,
I am lying if I say that I am not a trophy hunter. I have taken a few nice bucks and I am hoping for another for my wall this year. I have the time, energy, ambition and the ability to pass on deer others would maybe shoot. That being said, I will first and foremost just enjoy my hunt as its few and far between that you have a late hunt like this. I am going to have a successful hunt regardless of the horn outcome, maybe more fun if the horn part is a lot!!!! Thanks for the input and I am contacting the NDOW and any other info possibility I can get my hands on.
Thank you,
Hunterturbo

I love to hunt and fish and the object is to pass it on. If I could draw something every year and one of those Stellar Stellar units with Stellar genetics you're right I probably wouldn't say much then but the odds just aren't in your favor so why not just pass it on and help someone out. Now I will agree that when I have a tag for a unit I'm not telling anybody anything about that unit or even where I'm going in that unit.

buckhorn is right. There are no big ones in 081. Lol. Hope you got ahold of my brother, NEVADAGUY. Nice tag you have. You'll do just fine.

I did indeed get in touch with him. Great guy with a lot of info. I am very excited to get there and let the fun begin.
Hunterturbo

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-17 AT 06:22PM (MST)[p]Yep, you'll have fun there. Broke down a month ago shed hunting, had to be towed behind a jeep for 5.5 hours. It was Brutal.

BTW - Roads were washed out, pretty bad. Couldn't get to the spot I wanted to get to. Might want to light a fire under the BLM's a$$ if they haven't already fixed the roads.

Outdoordan
Thanks for the info. I will send them a message. Find any big sheds?
A guy can dream of what might be, cant he.
Thanks,
Hunterturbo

Ya pretty bad unit best buck to come out of there last year was a 216. The guy only got a third place belt buckle and kit Carson award. Just turn in your tag and wait for a area 10 tag. Bigred is just trying to help with knowledge. Take it or leave it. Good luck and for the haters just keep it off your app next year. Monster deer and bulls up there.

51219img2690.jpg

35191img1810.jpg

12421img0749.jpg

95400img0757.jpg

48509img1797.jpg

Here is an update on my hunt. First, I would like to thank all of you that helped me on this hunt. The area has a ton of glassing areas. I was surprised at the lack of deer that you would find. But, with that said, the buck to doe ratio was at about 40/100. The weather was very warm for this time of year and area. Be prepared to see a lot of cow and bull elk hunters. All were very friendly and happy to help you out with what they had seen. Take plenty of gas. My camp was 51 miles from the closest paved road which was not to far from fuel. Lots of coyotes, didn't want to shoot as the elk hunt as well as mine was going good and didn't want to screw up anyone or educate any of the dogs which appear to be well educated anyway. I seen well over my share of bucks, tons of elk. Overall I am very pleased with this hunt. I was expecting to see a lot more deer that we did, but I cant complain. When the roads get wet, and they will you had better be ready for the mud!!! BTW this was the biggest deer that we seen. I did have a beautiful back up buck named Jackpot that was a solid buck at 25" wide with deep forks and great looking around the 180 mark. I got pics and video of him.
Thanks for all that helped and just wanted to show and give you a report of my hunt.
Muzzleloader unit 081 Nevada
Nov 21- Dec 10
3x5 with brow tines and a bit over that magical 30" mark

Thanks,
Hunterturbo

Congratulations, great buck.

Glad you beat the naysayers.

I love that remote, far from everything country.

Mind if I holler at some yotes in that country?

I would love to see you take out a few of them coyotes. We found them high, low, north, south, east and even west.
Thanks guys for the compliments on the deer.
The elk hunt runs until the 31st of January, so you will see folks out there. Good luck putting a few down. They were very skiddish.
Hunterturbo

Great buck there Mr. Congrats. My brother got his cow last week. They still have 2 tags. Spent alot of time up there this year. Fun unit. My kids both want to put in youth next year. I heard a rumor that they may change those dates back to earlier again. Wouldn't surprise me. Congrats again.

Awesome deer! Love that country, I used to work just across the border in Idaho about 16 miles from Jackpot. Cool country.

I finally drew 081 this year for black powder. Supper stocked about the potential. First year putting in for it. I had 7 points dont get me wrong. Just had s buddy tell me to put in for it. Now that I have it he will not be able to go. I know nothing about the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Font need to know specifics.

Thanks

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom