09 NR choices

S

stumpjumper

Myself and 2 hunting buds are looking on where to apply for S elk on either AW or ML DIY hunts.Would like an area with min.access but be able to relocate if neccessary.
Was looking at Unit 51 AW, Unit 2 ML, Unit6A ML.
All opinions appreciated.
I've printed out all the info and maps from NMDOW site and read most all the info on this site,now I'd like to hear from The Hunters.
Thanks

Seems like a tight lipped crew. Wish I could help, but have no experience in New Mexico.

I have not heard good things about 51 or 6a. Unit 2 is getting some attention as of late but I'm not familiar with it.

Jim Welles at newmexicobiggamehunting.com is familiar with it though. If I was looking at 2 I would ask here, the bowsite.com and Jim. I would encourage you to search the database here and at the bowsite.com for info on 51 and 6 also.

Hey Addict, thanks for the reply. Yeh, as the competition for tags gets tighter every year tight lipped seems to be the norm.
As a res of Nv I can't even apply again for elk till I'm 62, so I've got to look elsewhere.
If you ever draw Nv. I can help you.

Ray

Thanks for the reply Bob
I've heard pros and cons to these units as well as every other
unit. I guess it depends on their experiences. I'll definitly check out your web info as every bit helps.
I did meet a gal yesterday that's from NM and she gave me her brothers email. Lives in unit 49 but puts in for others and falls back on his landowners.
How's Bend. Lived there when I was 7 I think. That was 50 years ago.
If you ever draw NV let me know.
Ray

SJ,
I'll just share my general opinions on these. I'd say Unit 51 is a better elk unit than 6A but not much better. Both of these units in my opinion are better than Unit 2 for elk. In terms of access, the San Pedro Parks in 6A is a wilderness area so access here is limited. There is plenty of access throughout the rest of 6A. 51 and 2 have plenty of access as well. Compared to elk hunting in other areas of the state, I'd give both Units 51 and 6A a C grade and Unit 2 a D grade.
-Raptor

Hey Raptor, Thanks for your opinions.
So is there any standard hunts you could squeeze a B grade out of.
I picked 51 as an anyweapon hunt and 6a and 2 as ml choices.
Do you know if unit 2 ml includes all of 2a,b,and c. Couldn't find this clarafied anywhere.

Ray

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom