10 moose points

desperatehills

Very Active Member
Like so many others I am trying to decide if I should continue on buying moose points or quit now. I never expected to get to the front of the line or draw the best unit, just to someday get a tag with a chance at getting a moose. I get all the research magazines but they only cover the best units for which I will never draw. Are there any units that I am getting close to? What about cow tags? I hate to walk away from my investment but now that it is doubled I am not wanting to feel twice as dumb. I am 53 years old and a non- resident.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-18 AT 02:59PM (MST)[p]Last year 10 points got an area 11 bull tag and 9 points got an area 38 cow tag...so yes try those and cash in those points. You are more than a decade away of drawing a mid-tier unit, but don't waste those points.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-18 AT 11:58PM (MST)[p]Now that WY doubled the annual cost to apply as a NR, it's now about the same price to apply in Idaho. You might actually draw there the first year you apply. No point system and draw odds are in the 1:10 to 1:15 range for NR's. That'd be my choice if I was limited on spending, and hadn't already drawn my OIL bull tag there.

That WY unit 11 (wilderness) bull tag mentioned above, I'm gonna guess will take 15 or 16 pp to draw this year, and then creep up a point every year thereafter. That it was drawn with only 10pp last year was a freak one-time occurrence. Many people have already noticed that shocking anomaly, and will be trying for it in hopes of getting out, especially in the wake of the huge pp fee increase.

Thanks all, This is definitely helpful. I drew Idaho in 2007 and killed a 42" bull. I did draw that tag the first year I applied. I think I will go the cow tag route. It would be nice to kill a big bull but for me the hunts are now more about seeing new country. The out of state tags are a excuse to see parts of the country I would not go to otherwise. I'll buy another point this year and look into a cow tag for next year. My friend has 19 points and is looking into the bighorns. If he doesn't draw this year maybe I can find a cow hunt near him so we can go together.

Just my $.02.

The dynamics for WY Moose have changed. And will yet change.

I am 58, non-resident, and have 19 points. My 2 older sons have 12 and 11, respectively. I dropped my daughter last year from WY moose with something like 7 or 8 PP - I don't remember exactly. My youngest son - just going with elk, deer and antelope.

With the increase in PP and tag prices, "point creep" will undoubtedly trend/jump higher each of the next few years. Why? Simply this - higher demand from those who have been banking points, by those who CAN draw and those who (based on the past years' data) THINK they can now draw. Yes, folks in the higher tiers will accelerate their decision to draw and be done. I am in that boat. Or, maybe they will just kindly continue to bank points until the year they decide they want to hunt. I guess those in the top tier always have that option.

I was encouraged over the past several years to apply for a tag in a Big Horns unit. I had always planned for "WY Moose 2018" on my long-term calendar. I had always assumed most of the same factors - same tag price, same costs, declining number of tags in wolf-infested units increasing demand in other units...

So, those with 19 points today could find themselves thinking they are a slam dunk to draw a Big Horns tag this year, 2018 - and not draw because tags went to those with 20 or higher. Then, next year they will have 20 PP and realize that perhaps they are not closer but FURTHER away from drawing - a year or 2 more out - because more "PP bankers" are applying. And the year after that when they have 21 points they will go "whoa! Looks like you needed 23 points to draw this year! I think I need to wait until I am in the top PP tier, or perhaps I should start putting in for another unit next year, one that doesn't require more PP than I have." And, guess what. Others doing the same thing will unwittingly work in tandem to bring new levels of creep to each and every one of the other units. That ripple effect will also influence the number of lower PP tier folks to drop out, regretting that they did not drop out earlier. Maybe.

How this will play out and where it will level out or IF it will ever level out is anybody's guess. Lots of factors.

Personally, I don't like a PP system. But, that is a different topic.

Ok. Sorry - that was more than $.02

Oh! I about forgot! I applied for WY Moose - today, the deadline. So, those of you who applied this year with 19 points hoping to draw a Big Horns tag (units 1/34/42) will be glad to know that your odds will be better. I did not apply for those units. Thank me later.

As for my 2 sons - I need to decide if there is ANY chance of them moving to WY and becoming residents in the next few years. I think I have until October before I need to make a decision on that. Realistically though, they are done with WY Moose PP.

If your friend ends up with 20 PP next year you could very well be hunting bull and cow moose.
There are still several great areas to hunt moose, not just 38 and the Bighorns.
The hardest part of a cow hunt is finding one without a calf at it's side. That should say something about the population.
Our moose numbers are fluctuating, but don't discount that more tags could come into play on any given year.
With 19 PP I would stay in the game at least a few more years.

>If your friend ends up with
>20 PP next year you
>could very well be hunting
>bull and cow moose.
>There are still several great areas
>to hunt moose, not just
>38 and the Bighorns.
>The hardest part of a cow
>hunt is finding one without
>a calf at it's side.
>That should say something about
>the population.
>Our moose numbers are fluctuating, but
>don't discount that more tags
>could come into play on
>any given year.
>With 19 PP I would stay
>in the game at least
>a few more years.

In 1981 there were over 1500 moose tags in Wyoming, in 2017 there were 330. I guess numbers are fluctuating, if thats what you want to call it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom