102 deer

archeryjh

all I can find is older threads on this unit. Has anyone hunted this unit for deer in the last couple years? P.m will work

Find a two track road that runs along the top of a canyon. Drive as far out to the edge as you can, just short of your pickup careening into the bottom. And glass thru the windshield. Do not get out of your pickup for any reason, other than to piss, or grab another busch lite out of the yeti.

Last edited:
Friend had it two years ago. Lots of deer, quite a few bucks (like 10-20 a day), never saw anything over 160". Spent the entire two week season hunting, shot a nice average buck on the last day.

In all seriousness. I’ve hunted it a bunch of times. And my son drew it last year. There are bigger. But this is the best buck we saw by a wide margin. I’ll send you a PM with some places to check out.

Attachments

• 8977B524-A39F-4198-B797-F27F8D4E7B06.jpeg
    8977B524-A39F-4198-B797-F27F8D4E7B06.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 687
In all seriousness. I’ve hunted it a bunch of times. And my son drew it last year. There are bigger. But this is the best buck we saw by a wide margin. I’ll send you a PM with some places to check out.
Chester I’ll be in town in about 8 days. Do you want me to bring you a phone scope?

Hunted cow elk there a few time 15+ years ago. There were plenty of deer and some nice bucks around then but nothing that I would consider exceptional.

I honestly do not understand how someone with a 102 tag in their pocket could not have a good time. Soooooo much country to check out. While deer numbers are down you’ll still see plenty of animals. Access is easy and you can hunt it anyway you want to. You want to throw a backpack on and go hiking for days you can do that. If you want to drive around and listen to AC/DC or Taylor swift you can do that too.

If score is at the top of your list you’re going to be disappointed on not only your 102 tag but most the tags that take max/buttload of points.

Yes! Thank you for the updates. I have been looking into 102 as I am -1 of max....doh

Need to burn them and move on.....

He is probably laughing at my driving in 102 this year. BTW, I saw one pretty good buck (I think about 170-175) on day 2, but that's too early. Nobody I else talked to saw admitted to seeing a 170+. One guy had hunted it a couple of times (himself once and guiding his son once) and was really disappointed with the lack of big bucks even in comparison to a few years ago. The does all had fawns. It seemed like the deer herd wasn't hit all that hard by the winter. It was just difficult for me and everyone I talked to to find big bucks. Or maybe treedagain is laughing at my hunting skills, not my driving?

IMG_20231029_163953021_HDR.jpg

Elmer, your hunting skills are not in question. 😁🦌🦌🦌🦌 and there's nothing wrong with driving it like you stole it.
"pm Is fine"

FIY , that’s what happens when ya bring a mom car to Wyo to hunt, may work in Utah or Cali but next time leave it at home when coming to Wyo!! 😝 man that sucks !!
My truck (2001 Silverado) is having issues clearing the secondary air OBD readiness monitor. I couldn't get it registered before going on the trip, a PRC (People's Republic of California) issue. So took my brother's ride. I think it rolled because the car tires my brother put on it blew out in the slide. The shocks are worn, it has a high CG and rides like a boat. I know my truck would have pulled through! Oh well, at least I walked away without injury. I have to count my blessings!

My truck (2001 Silverado) is having issues clearing the secondary air OBD readiness monitor. I couldn't get it registered before going on the trip, a PRC (People's Republic of California) issue. So took my brother's ride. I think it rolled because the car tires my brother put on it blew out in the slide. The shocks are worn, it has a high CG and rides like a boat. I know my truck would have pulled through! Oh well, at least I walked away without injury. I have to count my blessings!
Just a little razzin lol, glad no injuries and able to walk away . Nothing puts a damper on a hunt like a vehicle accident. Got clipped by a semi one year pulling horses headed hunting sent me out of control and rolled truck and trailer truck ended up on its lid and trailer came off and went down the road probably another 100’ past my truck and luckily just messed up my ankle a little bit and all the horses were ok just shaking like crazy , can’t say I blame them !!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom