10X vs. 8 X binocs

locofife

This is my first post here on the forum. I could use a little help on deciding which power binoculars I should buy. I would like to have the extra power of the 10x's but I read a book where the author recommended 8x's instead because of eye-strain, etc. of the more powerful binocs. Which do you all prefer?

Depends on the type of country you will be hunting. What are your plans?

I would go with the 10X binocs. I have a pair of both and the 10X are much more useful. I can use them while spot and stalk and also use them spotting. Plus you don't have to have a tripod to use them. Unless your hunting some very thick stuff with almost no visability, then probably the 8X. Good luck.

Go with 10 power, buy the best that you can afford. Quality optics and knowing how to use them does not strain the eyes as much as you would like to believe. Practice sitting with elbows on knees and hands around your binos and cap brim, for example, steadier than standing!

If you buy the 8X, you will wish you bought the 10X...trust me. You don't have to fork out huge cash for quality either. You can get good quality glass for $300 or even less. Do a search on the forums and you will find TONS of info.

First off welcome aboard.Get the 10x and get the best that you can afford even if you have to save up for awhile.....Devlin

I'll be the first to disagree with the rest. I'd take a pair of 8x Leica Ultravids over just about every pair of 10x's out there. So it kind of depends on what yer going to buy. I just purchased a set of Swaro EL 8.5x's. After spending month's searching and looking through countless bino's, two Swaro dealers convinced me to go with the 8.5's over the 10's. I couldn't tell a power diff between the two, but I could tell a huge diff in the field of view. I was also told by several folks, the light gathering ability was better in the 8.5's over the 10's. So I guess the question is, what are you interested in, and what are you comparing them against. In my opinion, bino's are for glassing lot's of country and a spotter is for deciding which brow tine is really longer at 1000 yards...

I'm guessing that we're talking about glasses with 42mm objectives. I like both but I just sold my 8x42 leica trinovids and upgraded to 10x42 ultravids. Technically the 8x will let more light in during the low light hours because the pupil will be bigger, and they'll be a bit easier to hold steady. However, I agree with someone else who said you'd regret not getting the 10x. IMHO the power isn't as important as the quality though. The best glasses at any power will not give you any eye strain. Just my two cents...Steve

I first bought a pair of 8x Pentex Roof Prisims, loved them, then I lost them one year trying to outrun a herd of deer in the sage brush, I later found out I was on private land about the same time i realized they were missing, so I didn't go back to look for them, I then bought the exact same binocs in 10X thinking 10 is better then 8, I really don't like them as well, Seem they are harder to scout big country, I'll sell them to you if you want them and go buy the 8x again............ Wyomingben

Get the 10x42mm and save your money to get the best. There are three major brands and it all depends on YOUR EYES which one is best.
I have Swarovski but there are also Leica's and Zeiss to make it harder to choose from, but by all means check all three out and try to look through them both in the early morning and later in the evening for the choice making decision. Good luck. Others here might add a few other brands like Leupold, Nikon etc. and they probably are a good buy, but it's your eyes not theirs that should make the final choice.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-04 AT 03:02PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-04 AT 02:57?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-04 AT 02:56?PM (MST)

While there are some good binos in the Leupold Wind River line, I'm not sure the Cascade's would be my first choice. The reason being, I don't think they're "phase corrected", which is pretty much a necessity in roof prism binos. Maybe I'm wrong about the Cascade's, but when I checked Leupold's web-site, I didn't see any mention of the Cascade's being phase corrected. Without phase correction, the light waves will be left distorted when bouncing of the refracting lenses and you'll loose image quality and brightness.

I realize you might not have a ton of money to spend, but I'd at least look for a phase corrected roof prism, several of which can be had for about what you paid for the Cascade's. Some examples are the Minolta WP and the Audubon Equinox from Eagleoptics.com. IMHO, if you don't get a phase corrected roof prism, you'd be better off with a porro prism bino, which doesn't require phase correction due to the lens construction.

By the way, I prefer 10x.

Just my .02$

If it wide upon country and plenty of light I would say 10X, but low light conditions I would go with 8X. The eye strain is a factor my eyes always feel fine with 8, but with 10 they really mess with them.

I have windriver 8 x 42 and love them. There is one thing to keep in mind and that is how much light they let in. I did some researching before I got my first pair of good ones and I'm glad I did. My buddy got 10x50's and was constantly
cussing about how hard they were to keep stable. He spent a few hundred bucks more than I did and ended up sending his back. I think you want to divide the second number by the first to get the light quotient....not sure of the right scientific term for this. But 42 divided by 8 is 5.25 and 50 divided by 10 is 5. Thus, the 8x42's are brighter in low light ( which is when we do alot of looking). They also focus very quickly. If you see a movement and pull them up, you will be able to quickly find your target. Best advice...get the best ones you can for the money you have to spend and take care of them. They will last ya.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom