11/211 3rd season deer

Weiserbucks

Very Active Member
Going to be our 1st deer hunt in Colorado. Just a few general questions . Are there going to be a million elk hunters like I think there will be ? Is the resident deer herd in decent shape?

If anyone would like to share any helpful information via PM I can exchange information on Idaho general and controlled deer and elk hunts .

You will definitely not be alone. CPW increased deer tag numbers to this year as in an effort to combat CWD so expect crowding. Really is a migration unit that is weather dependent. Can be good but it now weather higher up it can be challenging.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Thanks for the reply, I figured there would be plenty of hunters around. Hopefully we can find a few spots to hike into and avoid some of the crowds.

The answers are #1 yes and #2 not really.
There are not a lot of places to hike into in the units, you've just got to cover country and get lucky! HMU if you want, live here, work here.

I was up in 11 on the east side of the black mountain wilderness area. There was a handful of hunters. I spent this past Sunday evening glassing to the west and didn't see any sign of wildlife. The next day I drove around much of the area to no avail. It was really dry, telling me the animals had moved out of the area to find water. As the winter weather rolls in, I imagine this area could produce. I would monitor storms and moisture in the lead up to the 3rd season.

Those units aren't real high or rugged, so there are a lot of roads through a lot of that country. The deer seem to be used to it, and will find little wrinkles in what looks fairly flat country and hide out in it. It's not necessarily far from roads, but there's a lot of country you can't see unless you get off the roads. You'd be surprised how many people never get out of their vehicles? even in that flat country. There are more deer in that area the later it gets in the year- stay patient and you should be able to find something that you'll want to put your tag on. Good luck to you.

Thanks again to those that replied with advice and by PM. We'll be on our way in a few days. Will certainly post up our results after the hunt is over. Good luck to the other hunters .

Just got back and unwinding at home. The hunt was basically a flop, saw one mature buck opening day from about a mile away but he disappeared in the juniper. Didn't see any mature bucks on public the rest of the season.

The thing that surprised me the most was the pressure, more hunters in the field than I've ever seen and I hunt OTC Idaho every year.

Really want to say thanks to those that offered advice, it was a great step in the right direction.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-19 AT 01:15PM (MST)[p]Seen and experienced the same checking out several OTC units with one 1 shooter buck seen in 11 and even that was marginal. Unit 3,301,11, & 22 were elbow to elbow with very few adult bucks seen let alone harvested. You can definitely see the increased deer tag numbers and it definitely showed on the elk too. Hunters in every drainage and ridge line with some huge camps pushing game. I hope CPW's plan works.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

We also spent 5 days in 11/211. Saw plenty of deer, but no quality bucks. We had a spot that was out of the way about 30 does and 7-8 bucks. Watched it daily. Not much rut. Best buck was maybe 150". Warden told us 11 is their sacrificial lamb. Need places for the youth and elderly to shoot a deer.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom