11 deer points for Oregon

hayden3006

Looking at hunting Apple gate muzzle loader for blacktail in Oregon. Just curious if it is worth using these points on this hunt, or if it is worth waiting and hunting for mule deer.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. Thanks.

Save the points and put in for either SE Whitehorse or Juniper muzzleloader. Legitimate chance at a 200" deer with this tag. Look up this site below and you will get a great view on your odds.

According to the data you only 3 points to draw Applegate, 10 for SE Whitehorse and 16 for Juniper.

https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/

My advice is put in for one of those big mulie tags because the applegate hunt all works around snow and snow levels. Brush is thick and even with rutting blacktails it's no shoe in. Have a chance at a toad blacktail but burning 10 points on the tag isn't worth it.

Good Luck!!!

I guess I disagree.
The Juniper is hit and miss depending on the year as is the Whitehorse.
The Applegate is tough and definitely not a shoe in, but at least the deer are there every season. I've had the Applegate tag twice. The first year was an absolute bust for me however my partner did well. The second year I saw several B&C bucks but failed to connect.

The Applegate is difficult to hunt because in most places it is thick. All the low elevation "easy" stuff is private.

Just my two cents worth.

I've got a lot of NR deer points and wondering how that Juniper hunt is going these days. I saw there's only 10 tags. So wondering if the one NR alternates to outfitters every other year. I could not tell by viewing the 2018 proclamations.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom