11 points

huntertj

I am a non-resident with 11 deer points for CO. I'm looking for any suggestions on where to apply. I would prefer a remote, backcountry rifle hunt. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, just looking for chance at a decent buck. I opened the CO draw odds PDF and it was a thousand pages, so I figured I would turn to the interwebs to get your advice. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
T-

Unit 602 is a great deep back country hunt that you are looking for. I’d look into ivy creek near lost trail mountain. A lot of big bucks come off the upper side Chico basin. The early rifle is probably the best if you are looking for a velvet Muley and 3rd would be your next best option you probably don’t have enough points for 4th though. Good luck!

Unit 602 is a great deep back country hunt that you are looking for. I’d look into ivy creek near lost trail mountain. A lot of big bucks come off the upper side Chico basin. The early rifle is probably the best if you are looking for a velvet Muley and 3rd would be your next best option you probably don’t have enough points for 4th though. Good luck!
I think you had a typo, you are describing unit 206. Great unit, big buck potential.

These guys aren’t helping you. That’s actually a tough point to total, as it doesn’t get you into “Premium” hunt codes, but its more than most of the rest of the state. The problem for out of staters is, there are so many options, it’s overwhelming, and there’s nothing any more that’s really outstanding, unless you’re at the very top of the point pool, or you’re on a great piece of private.

I can help you with some suggestions via PM, if you want to chat.

Gringo, that'd be much appreciated. I know they were trying to be funny but they weren't. I'd be willing to share a couple of good areas in SD and WY.

I am a non-resident with 11 deer points for CO. I'm looking for any suggestions on where to apply. I would prefer a remote, backcountry rifle hunt. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, just looking for chance at a decent buck. I opened the CO draw odds PDF and it was a thousand pages, so I figured I would turn to the interwebs to get your advice. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
T-
Since 602 is probably going to have point creep...it sounds like you want a backpacking sort of hunt. 65 or 82early is right close to your level and would be worth a look see to see if the terrain/location/season is up your alley.

Gringo, that'd be much appreciated. I know they were trying to be funny but they weren't. I'd be willing to share a couple of good areas in SD and WY.

I’m sorry for getting a laugh at your expense. And I understand you want the best hunt for the points you have but to be honest monster muleys would be the last place I’d come for information about units to apply for. The main reason is some hunters will lead you astray. We don’t want people applying for the units we hunt that took years to learn or were passed down from generation to generation. A lot of the information can be deceiving and misleading. And not to mention visible to all public. In all seriousness I’d recommend looking into the the application services around such as epic outdoors, gohunt, eastmans or even scout to hunt. Their livelihoods depend on giving out honest information and pointing their clients in the right direction. Or you could use gohunt and do a unit by unit break down with draw odds and solid information to point you in the right direction.

I’m sorry for getting a laugh at your expense. And I understand you want the best hunt for the points you have but to be honest monster muleys would be the last place I’d come for information about units to apply for. The main reason is some hunters will lead you astray. We don’t want people applying for the units we hunt that took years to learn or were passed down from generation to generation. A lot of the information can be deceiving and misleading. And not to mention visible to all public. In all seriousness I’d recommend looking into the the application services around such as epic outdoors, gohunt, eastmans or even scout to hunt. Their livelihoods depend on giving out honest information and pointing their clients in the right direction. Or you could use gohunt and do a unit by unit break down with draw odds and solid information to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the apology. I get it, no one wants to give up a honey hole or decrease the odds for a chance at drawing a tag. I was just hoping for someone to point me in the right direction. It sounds like 44 is going to be my best bet. Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully this fall I'll have some pics to post.
T-

ok I’ll play nice. I would consider 4th season 501 or 3rd season 61 with the dates.
Thanks for the apology. I get it, no one wants to give up a honey hole or decrease the odds for a chance at drawing a tag. I was just hoping for someone to point me in the right direction. It sounds like 44 is going to be my best bet. Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully this fall I'll have some pics to post.
T-

Keep in mind lots of people are looking to burn points this year. If you really want to go this year, your 11 points will be worth about 7 or 8. Look at units/seasons that took 6-9 points or so, then come back and ask a couple more specific questions once you have it narrowed down and you will get better help. The earlier season you go, the better unit you can get into.... the later you go, the better the rut gets.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom