111-115, 221, 222 Muzzy Elk

Califelkslayer,

Congrats on great tag! I had the tag two years ago. You are in for a great hunt.

Good luck!

Horniac

Congrats on the tag Califelkslayer!

Boy....I guess the pressure is on, I didn't realize that it is going to be a 1,200$ elk tag.

I drew the exact same tag (9 points), It'll be fun but we need to make the most of it....

You should be stoked, Best elk hunting in Nev. (I think) in these and some of the biggest bulls also. Good luck.

Jeff

High5, I'm sure you're head is spinning like mine. Viewing maps, gaining info and marking the maps W/notes, Conditioning, figuring when you can scout, etc.

Personally, I'm trying to figure which rifle to purchase, deciding if I'm gonna use the horses (probably), getting more serious about my workouts, trying to contact the guys I know that hunted it last year but also keeping an open mind about WHERE to focus.

Oh yea, requested the time off today. One 4 day scouting tripp plus 4 days early and all season. Might even hit it for 4 more days over Labor Day weekend.

Just don't want to look back and feel I didn't put the proper effort out.

Man, I wish I had these problems every year.

Good luck and get in touch if you want, with only 33 muzzy tags last year I don't have a problem sharing.

You will have a great hunt. I have hunted that area the last two years. I killed a 340 class bull in '07 and my cousin killed a 380 class bull there last year. We also helped a friend get another 340 class bull last year. We had excellent hunts. It's fun country to run around. Get comfortable shooting out to 4 or 500 yards and get yourself in shape.

HA!! Make sure you hold high. I got so excited in seeing the area, I missed the Muzzy part. Even better Cali, you can get after the bulls before the real madness starts. Bulls will be in the same places, burried in some hole recovering from the rut. A few bulls will actually still be bugling during your hunt but the big boys should be done.

Fallout, I almost fell out!! I think after shooting all summer and my Lasik surgery this Friday, 200 will be max..

But I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Here's what I've learned in the last week, either from a bunch of outgoing guys on here or from simple research:

The 1st deer season will end on my opener which entails lots of pressure although not towards the elk (they don't know that)

Very few in the mountains during my hunt, just a handful (approx 33) elk hunters and a few more deer hunters.

Some bugling, not much rut activity. I plan on testing that theory. I believe if ahy cows are in heat, a bull will come in.

My 15X56 Swaros will probably be my best friend.

Most hunt very effectively from the bottom but until I scout I'm leavin my opions open. I'd prefer a horses pack in hunt but won't lessen my odds just to fulfil that 'want'.

Tons of pressure to succeed!! Everybody at work expects me to kill a 380-400 bull. I will be very happy with a 1 shot kill on a 340 bull. Not saying I won't settle the last 3 days.

The most important is I'm gonna have a ton of fun shooting my new muzzy, talking to folks familiar with the area, scouting and the actual hunt. Gonna get my $1,200.00 and 7 years wait worth of fun if nothing else.

Right along with that I've learned that there are a ton of guys on here willing to help. Thanks all!! And High5, I wish you the best too!

Cali, I also drew the tag as a non resident and dropped the $1200. However, every time I look at my bull on the wall, I think that is some of the best money I ever spent. You won't regret it. I will also mention that we took four horses down with us and in a week of hunting, only took them out of the corral once. We hunt off of horses A LOT and there aren't many places that I won't try and take a horse, but where the big boys were hanging down there, a horse was of no use. That being said, there are some places you could use horses, we just never got to hunting them.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom