117 Hornady in 25-06 for deer and antelope ?

Whiterock

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-16 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]Just bought a 25-06 rifle and hand loaded some 117 BTSP for it along with some accubond 110,working a loadup for pronghorn/deer hunt for next fall. weather here is not helping for going to the range.
What is your experience with these bullets ?

I've used the 117 Hornady in everything from the 257 Roberts to the 257 WBY. it's a great bullet at any practical velocity.

If a 25 caliber can do it you should be confident with this bullet.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I don't reload ammo so I use Factory loads. Right from the start of using and sighting in my Savage 25-06 I have used Federal 117gr. Sierra Game King for deer and lopes.

RELH told me about these and they work great in my rifle.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Of the two bullets you are reloading, pick the one that is most accurate in your rifle and go with it. Either one will do the job on deer and lopes. I have used the Sierra 117 gr. game king in my 25-06 and have taken over 25-30 deer and antelope with that bullet from 50 yards to just over 500 yards and no failures to anchor the deer. My 25-06 will shoot 3/8 groups with the Sierra Game king.
I did have one deer that took a hit in the chest and go for about 200 yards in Wyoming. The deer was running flat out at about 130 yards when I took the shot. Heard the bullet impact the deer and had to track him for a good 200 yards before finding him piled up dead.
While field dressing the deer, I observed that my bullet had taken off the top of his heart and the blood vessels were pulverized. Still hard for me to believe he ran that far.

RELH

Correct me if I am wrong but will not the 117 grain bullet be less affected by the wind as say a light 80-85 grain bullet?

You are correct on that for wind deflection. The 117-120 gr. weight is a very good all around weight for the 25-06. Just check the ballistic charts and compare that weight to the lighter bullets and you will see good external ballistics at long range.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-16 AT 01:30PM (MST)[p]I agree
Great deer rifle.
I use 100 gr.ballistic tips.
Have heard great things about the 117 Seirra
Think I need to switch.
Is that monster buck from Colorado ?

That is an awesome buck.

I have a Winchester Model 70 25-06 that I purchased 25 years ago. I've always shot factory loads out of it, but just recently took up hand loading and would be interested in any accurate recipes that any of you have experienced that I could start tinkering with. I recognize that every barrel has it's own personality, so what works for you may not work for me, but at least it will give me a starting point.

Thanks in advance.

Mozey, The load I use is a Sierra 120 gr. SP boattail. 53 gr. of IMR-4831 for 3,040 fps velocity. Overall length of 3.325 with CCI standard large rifle primer.

That 53 gr. of IMR-4831 is a max load in the Hodgdon loading data. You may want to start at 51 gr. and work up looking for best accuracy. Also my overall length may be too long for your rifle at 3.325. Once you find the best load of powder weight, start loading 3-5 rounds starting at a overall lengh of 3.150 and work up to see where your rifle likes the bullet ogive distance from the lands. Mine is only .15 thousands off the lands, but most rifles do well between 30 to 50 thousands off the lands.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom