11M turning into draw unit-What do you think?

M

muleycrazy1

Who else thinks 11M should also be included in the archery draw for deer since it is already an archery only unit?

Tell me what you think.

It's already an OTC archery unit. What would be the reason to make a draw for it? Personally I hate the idea of having a draw for any of the units.

You need a basis for the change. Unless they've changed something, the M units are typically archery only units near rural areas. With that in place, only archery hunters can hunt unit 11M.

The archery draw was instituted to provide a balance between rifle and archery harvest, to be approximately 80-20%. Since no rifle hunts are in 11M, I see no reason for a draw ever. Maybe a harvest objective if too many animals are being taken, but no draw.

I hope all us archery hunters join together to keep the G&F to their plan and don't let all of our over-the-counter (opportunity) hunts slip into the draw by such recommendations. Keep this in mind over the next 10 years, as I'm sure others will try to be slipped by us.

Next ten years? I bet next year more units go to a draw. Units 22,23,27 and maybe some of the southern units as well. I also wouldnt be surprised if they make a seperate draw for mule deer and whitetail.

I bet you're right about next year or two and possibly long term. I said next 10 years because that is what I predict it will take before they let up, if ever. I just wanted those who understand the purpose, to keep it in mind for a long period of time and not lose focus.

Also, the tag allocation is supposed to be evaluated over a span of 5 years or so, to determine the 20% archery harvest ratio to 80% rifle harvest. In other words it can't change back from year to year, which some people didn't understand. 10 years gives them 2 periods of data to evaluate before they have enough information to force it upon us if not sooner.

Now don't get me wrong I'm all for accurate data and sound decisions, but the harvest reporting is not manditory, so this whole plan is BS unless manditory harvest reporting is instituted for both rifle and archery hunters. Its all speculation with a little statisitics thrown in.

Why would this unit need a biological basis for change? None of the other units were put through that criteria!

There is no rifle hunt for this unit, therefore using the 20% harvest figure is out the window.

It seems now we're in the business of managing social aspects, not biological or any other (besides maybe financial).

People are already stepping over one another on that hunt, just because of where it is. Making someone draw a permit isn't going to help that one bit.

Now it's neighbor to the SW, that's another story! Don't get me started there.

Nick

I agree with azoutback- they are looking long and hard about units 22,23 and 27. In fact I was surprised 22, 23 were NOT on there... 27 is more rugged and remote. Besides, I need to get that 125" in 27 with my bow come August before they start 'thinking' of making that unit a draw!

Arizona Coues

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom