12 gauge over under

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Anyone out there shot a reasonably priced over under 12 gauge? Like to get one for my daughter to shot trap with. Hoping to keep it under $1,000 (under $750 would be better), but a lot of the reviews I have read do not look promising. Good used models to look for would work also. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

I don’t know where you’re located, but you might consider trying to go to one of the larger local ATA trapshoots. There’s almost always a rack (depending on local laws) of guns for sale, and almost certainly someone will “know a guy…”.

My wife really likes her Citori Plus (recoil reducer in stock) but they are pretty hard to find. Or at least the used to be. Also keep your eye open for a Remington 3200. There are some beautiful ones floating around out there and one I wish I could have back.

You might also try the sporting clays guys. They are a bunch of gearheads who like to pizz away money on expensive toys. But remember, the lighter the gun the worse it bites.

Last edited:
I don’t know where you’re located, but you might consider trying to go to one of the larger local ATA trapshoots. There’s almost always a rack (depending on local laws) of guns for sale, and almost certainly someone will “know a guy…”.

My wife really likes her Citori Plus (recoil reducer in stock) but they are pretty hard to find. Or at least the used to be. Also keep your eye open for a Remington 3200. There are some beautiful ones floating around out there and one I wish I could have back.

You might also try the sporting clays guys. They are a bunch of gearheads who like to pizz away money on expensive toys. But remember, the lighter the gun the worse it bites.
I second Bluehairs suggestion of a Citori Plus, my wife owned one for years before going to a BT.
Problem with a Citori Plus is finding one.
Bluehair, if your wife ever sales hers please give me a chance at it, please.
Shane

I second Bluehairs suggestion of a Citori Plus, my wife owned one for years before going to a BT.
Problem with a Citori Plus is finding one.
Bluehair, if your wife ever sales hers please give me a chance at it, please.
Shane
She’s got a short little 32” BT 99 plus to go along with the Citori plus. Pretty good setup for a gal shooting trap. That BT99 points good.

I’ve seen the CZ’s but never shot one. One I would look at for sure.

She’s got a short little 32” BT 99 plus to go along with the Citori plus. Pretty good setup for a gal shooting trap. That BT99 points good.

I’ve seen the CZ’s but never shot one. One I would look at for sure.
I had a 34” BT-99Plus I sold to buy a Perazzi.
Did not shoot the P-Gun as well and could not buy back my BT.
Found a near perfect Citori Trap Special in 32” and shoot that now.
Still on a hunt for a 34” Plus, MAX, or 100 if you know where one is?

I bought a 20 Ga. CZ Woodcock a few years ago, pretty sweet little O/U for the money. Don't think they make it anymore but very similar to the CZ Drake that hits your price point.
No complaints

I don’t know much of anything about trap shooting, but I have been a fan of O/U’s for years. I started out dove hunting with them then transitioned into converting them to turkey guns. I will say that I’m not a fan of the lower end Stoegers, but Tristar makes a quality gun in the $600 range. By quality, I mean that the POI is correct without needing barrel modifications.
I recently just purchased this set of 50th Anniversary NWTF O/U’s. I bought the set for the .410 & 20. The 12 will probably never get used.
IMG_6872.jpeg

I don’t know much of anything about trap shooting, but I have been a fan of O/U’s for years. I started out dove hunting with them then transitioned into converting them to turkey guns. I will say that I’m not a fan of the lower end Stoegers, but Tristar makes a quality gun in the $600 range. By quality, I mean that the POI is correct without needing barrel modifications.
I recently just purchased this set of 50th Anniversary NWTF O/U’s. I bought the set for the .410 & 20. The 12 will probably never get used. View attachment 111763
Nice set. Who makes those?

Nice set. Who makes those?
Thanks! They are made by Tristar. I have another one in 12 ga that hat I have owned for about 15 years that I affectionately call UGLY. It is a great shooting gun. I think I paid around $400 for it back then & I wouldn’t take $4000 for it today. Far too many memories…

Shot my first bird on the fly (think it was a ruffed grouse I was 14) with a Charles Daly field o/u 12 ga. I wish I still had that gun it was a workhorse and super quick to shoulder.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom