121 cow deperdation 3rd hunt Oct 1st - Jan 5th

So I've draw a cow tag for 121 3rd hunt October 1st - January 5th. I've never hunted that area for Elk, I'm hearing that for that time of year the north east part of the unit should produce good results. Anyone hunt this area this time of year that can give any input would be greatly appreciated. Me and the kids are heading up there this Saturday for a scouting trip.
Thank you for any insight Anyone can give.

I would hunt it the earliest I could bulls still rutting herding cows best time to be in the unit. It’s a rugged hunt but I’d either hunt it early or late hopefully big snow brings them down.

I’m assuming this is for Nevada - if so I am familiar with it. In early October the rut will still be on and the elk will be spread out. Also, the depredation tag is only valid for a small portion of the unit, you can’t hunt the NE portion if I recall correctly. The depredation area is in Steptoe Valley. They are trying to keep the elk out of the alfalfa fields. By the end of November, many elk move to the north end of the unit, but there can still be elk hitting the fields in Steptoe.

I’m assuming this is for Nevada - if so I am familiar with it. In early October the rut will still be on and the elk will be spread out. Also, the depredation tag is only valid for a small portion of the unit, you can’t hunt the NE portion if I recall correctly. The depredation area is in Steptoe Valley. They are trying to keep the elk out of the alfalfa fields. By the end of November, many elk move to the north end of the unit, but there can still be elk hitting the fields in Steptoe.

Yeah this hunt according to NDOW's instructions is basically almost everything in the area southeast of Cherry Creek Road, West of hwy 93. Quite a ways a way from Steptoe. We scouted yesterday in-between the hay fields and the mountains, lots of fresh tracks and fresh beans but saw no animals. It was hot 92 degrees all day. Fixing to head back out in about 30 mins to see what we can see coming out of the fields. But on Tuesday I'm going to touch base with Ely office of NDOW to to confirm I've read all their notes correctly. Last thing I want to do if bag a cow and be in the wrong part of unit 121. Thank you to everyone that has replied so far. At least if I'm in the part I still have a solid 3 weeks to go scouting again before October 1st plus I don't live but 70 miles or so southeast of Ely off of hwy 93.

20210906_024713.jpg

I am assisting a disabled vet with this same hunt. He is a NV resident and I will be coming from CO. I am doing most of the research trying to put him on the best opportunity. He does have a SXS to get around on, but walking will be limited. I may purchase some netting to put around the SXS when glassing or setting up for an encounter. I will keep an eye on this post for future updates.

BTW, I'm a new guy to the site. I have read some great information from you guys and really appreciate it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom