128-1 Deer

RoadlessHunter

128-1 deer -The hunt is getting close, starts in 4 days.

Any last minute advice for this hunt? I'm trying to get excited, since I've been sidelined with a foot injury most of the hunting season. I got a couple days of general elk in, but reagravated my foot.

Weather has been perfect for ya and another storm coming this week.

Of course, that can all change quickly

Robb

Sorry guys, just saw this. Had to cancel my trip this weekend, due to MIL being in the hospital. Will be going back over next week and weekend to locate and photo some big bucks.

Thanks for all the help. What about grizzlies are they a problem on this hunt? We've had a few attacks lately and it appears guys from Evanston are on the menu.

Thanks for all the help. What about grizzlies are they a problem on this hunt? We've had a few attacks lately and it appears guys from Evanston are on the menu.
Don’t add any spices to attract them!! ?, ya never know so just be prepared, we did the shed hunt up there this spring and game and fish was making sure no problems, had a helicopter in the air all day flying over.

Honestly, IMO the best way to hunt this tag is a bunch of time in the truck/sidexside glassing. It was a down year when I had the tag, but the best bucks were killed pretty close to the road. That’s just how it seemed to work in this unit. Never saw a bear.
Lots of nice bighorns. Bring your good camera. It’s a fun hunt, enjoy it & don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

I was last up there in this late September. Just for 2 days.

I spent most of my time up in these area's (pic) watching the Migration corridor of elk, deer and sheep.

Robb
IMG_1525.JPG

Last edited:
Yes Bears can be an issue at anytime up there. Be extra cautious around the creek
Bottoms, all kill sights etc. we were up there last year for a day and spotted 2 from
The truck. They weee definitely around and definitely still looking for food.

We will be back up in a couple weeks to scope and look at the deer. We won’t leave the truck without spray, and a side arm. This summer
Fishing we ran into a lone bear down lower on state land.
It went the other direction with not real convincing needed by us…

I have been going to Dubois and that area for 40 years. I have never seen a bear in the East Fork itself, down in the deer meadows. A lot up on top of the mountain, some in Wiggins Fork and Horse Creek. Lots up at Brooks Lake and Togwatee itself!!! If you are going to hike away from the truck and roads, or head into the forest I would definitely be cautious and prepared

I have been going to Dubois and that area for 40 years. I have never seen a bear in the East Fork itself, down in the deer meadows. A lot up on top of the mountain, some in Wiggins Fork and Horse Creek. Lots up at Brooks Lake and Togwatee itself!!! If you are going to hike away from the truck and roads, or head into the forest I would definitely be cautious and prepared
The one we saw this summer was on the east fork. Never seen any sign before… You are correct the areas you are taking about definitely have more… We had tracks last fall by the fish hatchery on the diamond side as well.

killed at last light and new to hunting in bear country, so tried to dress and separate from guts as quickly as possible. Would do it differently if I could go back
Oh man. Bummer… Solid buck, congrats on the kill. But definitely don’t want to leave them out if you can avoid it… Was the bear there when you went back?

Had the tag with a buddy in 2007, or maybe 2008?
Saw this masher on the road that goes up to the sheep viewing area. He was on that 1/2 mile of private you have to drive through (C/M ranch or something like that)….I have some old camcorder footage of him running across the road. His hide rolled back & forth like a rodeo bull. Giant buck. Cool experience.

0A854C5E-B622-4092-AE2B-13790F53BDF9.jpeg

He wasn’t taken that year, as the guy that runs the stagecoach filmed him after the season.

There were a couple big bucks taken that year, both by locals. Most bucks were 150-160 “ , it was kind of a rough year.

This one was taken by a local guide (Cody? I think) , in the cottonwoods by the hayfields if I remember the story correctly.
Nice buck .

5ADA424F-F35C-48ED-BF85-E628C8B8BBF6.jpeg

Anyway. Fun hunt, and potential for a big one. Have fun out there tag holders & enjoy your hunt .

Hopefully it's an up year, since they gave out 75 tags this year. Looks like in years past they have only given out 50 tags. I noticed lots of private property all over. Does the unit have good access to the public land? I plan on using onX to stay off private land.

Shoulda Got The Head & Hint Quarters Out Of There Mid-Day!

Then Wait Him Out For a Shot Later That Night!

He'd Be Back!

killed at last light and new to hunting in bear country, so tried to dress and separate from guts as quickly as possible. Would do it differently if I could go back

I've hunted it twice and with max points I hope to again. get away from the roads and you'll find bucks most hunters never see. I've hunted much better tags with far better trophy potential like the one I'll be hunting in a couple weeks in CO, but 128 will always be my favorite.

Took this buck about in 128 about 20 years ago . 202, 6x7 , I've learned a lot about taking pictures since then, left half the points out.

IMG_1355.JPG

Last edited:
My daughter drew this tag. We will be over there in a few days. Weather looks good with cold temps and some snow. We have gotten great tips from a lot of people and you all on these forums. I’m a taxidermist here in Wyoming. Hope to see some of you all over there or get some up to date information as we hunt.

Ya, he can't get my buck this year. But looks like that unit 130 circus ? has headed to 128 according to the other thread. My plan for this hunt is have fun and shoot the first 200+ buck we see. If that fails shoot the best buck and head home. I have a 10 day window to make it happen.

Come hang out at the processor with me in Sept.-Oct. You would be mortified and change your opinion quickly. That is if you hunt for food and believe animals deserve respect. Also a bear didn't do that to the deer. No way in Gods green earth was that a bear.

Come hang out at the processor with me in Sept.-Oct. You would be mortified and change your opinion quickly. That is if you hunt for food and believe animals deserve respect. Also a bear didn't do that to the deer. No way in Gods green earth was that a bear.
Riiiight.

Riiiight.
Think what you want. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. It is the responses and denial like you have that make me want to document it. Hell I can take pics and post them with said outfitter that created such agregious crimes against out beloved wildlife here in Wyoming. It is truly sick... should I start naming them in order of worst offender? What about those that kill bears because they have Lil peckers too?

Think what you want. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. It is the responses and denial like you have that make me want to document it. Hell I can take pics and post them with said outfitter that created such agregious crimes against out beloved wildlife here in Wyoming. It is truly sick... should I start naming them in order of worst offender? What about those that kill bears because they have Lil peckers too?
Cool story bro

What's with all the outfitter hate in WY ? probably just jealousy that their success and score are so much better than the average resident.

No outfitter is going to intentionally screw up a client's meat. and since the head is still there you can't claim they only wanted the horns. just do the math.

Last edited:
Where did these outfitters touch you??? I see you like green pastures and lil peckers. Interesting.

Body shaming a bear for having a “Lil pecker” people like you are what’s wrong with the world.

I'm surprised with all the hype that 128 gets as it's not a trophy unit. 1.5 days in and this is the best buck we saw on public and private combined. Not sure why this unit gets hyped up. We will keep at it and see what we can turn up. Tons of snow up high.

View attachment 93197
1.5 days and you’re complaining about size of bucks? FFS heaven forbid you have to HUNT for the trophy. Such bullshit. You should let WYGFD know it’s unacceptable to not find a big buck in less than two days!

Over here right now. Spent 11 hours on the glasses and spotter today. Depressing that there are only about half the deer as usual. Also, WGFD tilled under a lot of the hay so deer are not using a couple of the normal fields. Found two shooters I would be happy with. 4x4 w/ 4" eye guards that is probably around 175". This one is cool with a floppy busted ear, and nice rack. Some real tanks that haven't missed a meal!!! :)

C67D28BB-C76B-45E3-9B59-397E2D452218.jpeg

86FAC1E7-4F50-49E6-B55E-0664CEB4A2BB.jpeg

FB5D6234-4BA7-4E57-A05D-E70E7DBE8562.jpeg

A guy posted a deer in Wyoming muley Facebook page yesterday that his wife shot on a late hunt...Solid deer with trash. I won't post it here bc not mine to post but its on Facebook.

The claim to fame on these “hyped up” hunts in Wyoming is the ability to be able to kill a buck or bull in close proximity to the road. Most of the people who apply for those hunts do so for that reason. Not for the trophy potential.
You nailed it! From what I've seen being on a few of these its the easiest hunts with the possibility of killing a giant deer. Not a guarentee just the chance. Since dad shot his deer in 2016 they have been getting worse and worse it seems like.

Like said they are easy hunts with low pressure, ability to see lots of animals and a chance at something huge. But give me the general tag and scouting opportunity and you will likely find a bigger buck, but with a ton more work and a lot of down time.

I owuld be curious to see snow levels up there in Lander we are dry and have less snow this year than the last 3....

Also we are just barely starting to see rut activity here.... Bucks with doe but not hot...

Just got home from Dubois. Fun time as usual, and the rut is just starting to crank up. Most of the bigger bucks I saw were singles, and just wandering around with their tongues stuck out and looking for love. The sub-adults with the does are doing a lot of pushing and shoving each other, but will back off quickly if a dominant buck wanders by. Only an inch or two of snow in the fields and benches. Horse Creek and Union Pass has about a foot, and two feet at Brooks Lake. Saw deer, elk, moose, antelope, and sheep in the short trip, so calling it a success!

Tried to clean up some pics, but I suck as a photographer, so they are what they are. Need to break down and get a really good camera, with better manual focus capabilities. Downloaded a video to YouTube titled Wind River Buck, and will try to figure out how to put a link on here also.

DSCN3711.jpeg

DSCN3727.jpeg

DSCN3726.jpeg

DSCN3767.jpeg

DSCN3771.jpeg

DSCN3775.jpeg

DSCN3797.jpeg

DSCN3823.jpeg

DSCN3745.jpeg

One of the highlites of the trip was watching a herd of about 60 elk for an hour or two. There are about a dozen campers in the campground, and everyone unloads their ATVs and charges up the mountain, looking for elk. These cows finally decided that hay sounded good to them, so they made their way down to the hayfield and lined out right for the campground. I went looking for anyone with a tag, and they were all gone up in the hills. A guy and his wife just happened to come up the road, so they whacked one right next to it where it would be easy to load!!!

DSCN3733.jpeg

Just got home from Dubois. Fun time as usual, and the rut is just starting to crank up. Most of the bigger bucks I saw were singles, and just wandering around with their tongues stuck out and looking for love. The sub-adults with the does are doing a lot of pushing and shoving each other, but will back off quickly if a dominant buck wanders by. Only an inch or two of snow in the fields and benches. Horse Creek and Union Pass has about a foot, and two feet at Brooks Lake. Saw deer, elk, moose, antelope, and sheep in the short trip, so calling it a success!

Tried to clean up some pics, but I suck as a photographer, so they are what they are. Need to break down and get a really good camera, with better manual focus capabilities. Downloaded a video to YouTube titled Wind River Buck, and will try to figure out how to put a link on here also.

View attachment 93421

View attachment 93422

View attachment 93423

View attachment 93424

View attachment 93425

View attachment 93426

View attachment 93427

View attachment 93428

View attachment 93437
Nice pics!

Great job, congrats!! Beautiful buck.

There are some pretty deer running around there. I always wonder if I would be tough enough to find one in October on the Region hunt, up in the dark forest???
Little off topic. But, do you cook up there or pre make and warm up your food? ??

Haha. Actually, a little of both! :)

Rene that owns the Stagecoach has really nice rooms and they have a fridge, but no microwave. I bought one for $10 at a thrift store that I take with me. I have been known to boil water in my plastic ice bucket to sous vide a steak!!!

Have a small portable SS camp stove, and will cook hot lunches for the wife and I. The Cowboy Cafe next door to the motel has some of the best food you can get. Their pies are famous, and second to none!! Ever had Jimmy Dean biscuits and gravy, with a side of pecan pie, for breakfast???

Haha. Actually, a little of both! :)

Rene that owns the Stagecoach has really nice rooms and they have a fridge, but no microwave. I bought one for $10 at a thrift store that I take with me. I have been known to boil water in my plastic ice bucket to sous vide a steak!!!

Have a small portable SS camp stove, and will cook hot lunches for the wife and I. The Cowboy Cafe next door to the motel has some of the best food you can get. Their pies are famous, and second to none!! Ever had Jimmy Dean biscuits and gravy, with a side of pecan pie, for breakfast???
The pizza place there is pretty good or at least it used to be and they had all you can eat for $10 a person

Yes, Noon Rock pizza is good. The steakhouse has good food, but can be iffy on their hours. Taylor Creek Station (Sinclair north of town) has great sandwich lunch specials. El Jarro is a New Mexican restaurant they're advertising, but I haven't tried them.

If you're driving over to Dubois thru Jackson, stop at the Creekside Market for the best lunch sandwiches in the West!!

Yes, Noon Rock pizza is good. The steakhouse has good food, but can be iffy on their hours. Taylor Creek Station (Sinclair north of town) has great sandwich lunch specials. El Jarro is a New Mexican restaurant they're advertising, but I haven't tried them.

If you're driving over to Dubois thru Jackson, stop at the Creekside Market for the best lunch sandwiches in the West!!
EL Jarro has really good food, I ate there before my sheep hunt earlier this year.

Congrats on the buck, Roadless Hunter! Thanks for all the pics Blank!
I'm always just blown away at the TANK body size of them big ole Muley bucks!!! Super cool to see.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom