128-1 Wyoming 2020

mckayoung

I drew the 128-1 in Dubois, WY and wondered if anyone is out there with some experience with that hunt that would be willing to point me the right direction. I live in Wyoming about 3 hours from the area and have driven through there in November enough to get excited about the number of deer there. Any help will be much appreciated.

Here is another one I did in 2019 it shows more of the unit overlap elk but of course a lot of 128 deer and some of the HMA's on the east side of the unit.

Robb

I have hunted it as well. You can call me if you want. Pm me and i will give you my number.

Just got back from 5 days there. Same old, same old. Lots of mule deer coming down to the fields, whitetails are hiding and leaving open areas before daylight. The sheep are out of the badlands and into the pasture across the river. Moose are wandering around for people to see. We need about 6-10 more days for the rut to really crank up for both muleys and whiteys. There are little 3 and 4-pts with every group of does. A few of bigger ones are phleming and posturing, the little guys are pushing and shoving each other to strengthen their necks. Fawns are really cute, and playing chase and run around all over. Not too many locals hunting much yet, and the non-residents have already shot a couple little WT bucks, and at least one small 4-pt MD that I saw. They were friendly as usual, and ask a lot of questions.

I did see the biggest typical 4 (190+) that I have ever seen there on the opener, and would have killed him in a heartbeat with either a Type 1 or Super tag!! Stud, and a tank body. He wandered back up on the hill, and probably won't make that mistake again until the rut actually starts.

Good luck to everyone again this year. If you're gonna be stupid, know that everyone is watching you, and the game warden keeps close tabs on people too!

EEFC9FCA-D12B-41F4-BD69-E8A8889D7536_1_201_a.jpeg

44F512D8-12FA-4A70-8F85-5E21338946BD.jpeg

80C32839-9ADE-4013-95DB-D00263CEF766.jpeg

69633A7D-95A7-4827-B891-8ADD675B000C.jpeg

B600C5BC-9D82-4E9E-A195-34178AE68096_1_201_a.jpeg

F77A27B1-8996-4DE6-9ABF-A33B53A7BA23.jpeg

085DABB1-17D1-4A8B-9312-4471EC13FB01_1_201_a.jpeg

Thank you all for your replies. I'm planning to go over Friday and Saturday this week, Thursday and Friday next week, and then two or three days the following week.

I won't be up there this year Blank.

I have an opportunity for Oryx and Aoudad so I'll just 'eat' the $300-ish 2nd choice Kill Whitey buck tag.

Hopefully Jason has reached out to ya as he has the Muley buck tag too.

Be safe!

Robb

Found a couple nice ones in October. The last few days I never even saw a mature buck On my way to AZ and Texas right now, so I won’t be back either.

yes, I talked to Jason, and hope he has good luck

You'll see bucks like that everyday, so hold out until ya get that one that has your heart rate going!

Robb

Nothing I can add right now from what I've seen that hasnt been said already! Some great members in here, glad I found it!

Im looking for the gentleman driving a Toyota with halogen headlights, I am the guy in a white dodge.. he had mentioned this post so hopefully he sees this!! Also to add he is not the yota driving passed the road closed sign!!

Im looking for the gentleman driving a Toyota with halogen headlights, I am the guy in a white dodge.. he had mentioned this post so hopefully he sees this!! Also to add he is not the yota driving passed the road closed sign!!
Hey Bslow72, it’s me. Last time I saw you were stalking in on that buck. This is my sons monster muleys account. My name is Brandon

Last edited:
I was able to go November 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, and 20th.

It was an incredible experience. I was able to spend most of those days with my father, who is 74. The most valuable part of it all was sharing it with him - both out looking at deer and spending the time in Dubois at the hotel and around town. My brother also came for the last day, and I had a handful of friends that took time out of their lives to come over and help put more eyes behind the glass/share in the camaraderie.

We never did get serious weather. We did get some snow up high to get the deer moving, and some storms that dumped snow down low, but snow never did stick to the valley floor during the hunt.

I was impressed with how friendly everyone was, from those of you on the forum here and some of the guys we ran into out in the field. I was able to get acquainted with some guys I hope to keep in contact with for years to come. Overall, it was the most friendly atmosphere I've probably ever been around while hunting.

As far as animals, my experience pretty much matched what I read about the hunt here on different threads. A ton of deer but few trophy bucks. On several days, I would agree with the estimates on other threads of seeing 50ish four points; almost all of them were 140" clones. I was surprised to see almost no bucks with trash/extras. I was also surprised on the lack of width in this particular genetic population. We saw a lot of solid bucks, but I didn't have interest in tagging out unless it was one that no one in their right mind could walk away from. The biggest reason for that was that I didn't want to miss out what the next day might bring.

It would have taken a special deer to cut the season short for me because I wanted to see the rut progress and new deer move in. We only saw one that met that criteria, but the good folks at Muley Fanatic Foundation, 307 Pursuit, and Holy Pursuit's Dream Foundation were in that same place working to get a boy with cancer a chance at him and so we happily yielded. He didn't end up taking that buck, but he did end up with a beautiful 185" deer a day or two later. I was inspired by those organizations and people and encourage all of you to check them out.

The only true stompers I saw on the hoof were all on private land.

I really enjoyed observing the rut. It is very cool to see a buck work his does, and this area provides plenty of opportunities to experience the annual ritual.

I discussed with one of my new friends on the night before the last day on whether or not to eat on the tag if nothing big showed up on the last day. His advice, which I thought was good, was at 3 pm to find the oldest buck we could get on and take him home.

That is essentially what happened. Some friends spotted an old warrior 3 point that was injured and not moving really well the morning of the last day. After a great last day of the hunt, we found him again at 4 pm with about an hour and a half of light left and put him down. He wasn't the deer I dreamed of over the summer when I drew the tag, but he was the right deer to shoot on on the last day. I was grateful to be able to take a mature buck who by all appearances had lived a good long life and likely wasn't going to survive the winter. To be able to do it with older Bro and my Pops was icing on the cake.

I did see a few pictures of good deer that were taken during the hunt, but only one or two that were legit "monster muleys". I don't feel comfortable sharing those pictures here because it's not my right to share their photos.

I will share two photos here. One from of the mid-1980's of the three of us with an Idaho 3 point buck and one from Friday evening of this year's Wyoming 3 point buck. Neither is a "trophy" animal, but both are "trophy" memories for our family.

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

Those two pictures are the two finest trophies that you could ever hope to have. Sounds like you put in the time and harvested a great old warrior past his prime. Fantastic!

Wow.... first time I’ve teared up from a picture in forever. Makes me miss my grandpa who was my best hunting buddy until 2013. Those are memories that will last a lifetime. Congrats on a great buck, and even greater memories!

Thanks for sharing the experience!! Great photos and awesome memories shared with loved ones. That's the true trophy. Great buck to boot!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom