12A West Early Hunt

obsessed

Hello Everyone as my name implies I'm obsessed with shooting a deer like the one pictured. I actually found those antlers on a dead deer in Arizona Unit 16B, Ive got at least 100 hours of glass in that unit since and never seen anything like him. Im 60 years old and been a spike shooting meat hunter the last 7-8 years. Im going to start putting in for the EARLY 12A West hunt. Are deer that size doable with a good guide in that early hunt or am i wasting my time and hopes,

I can hire a guide only once in my life,. Are there any other units in Arizona that could give up a deer like him that I could draw easier and get a good guide to help. If so shoot me Names and units in a PM, Just a rough estimate measure he is in the area of 180 gross

20240428_170234.jpg

Ask a guide. Clay Buddy, Arizona Strip Guides, Shadow Valley Outfitters, A3, Highpoint Outfitters and some names that come to mind.

Possible? Yes, but fairly low odds you’ll kill a buck like that in 12a or b early, IMO. I’ve hunted 12bw late and 13a late. Good bucks are tough to find these days. And with no points, it will be a years….

The 12a October hunt took 12 res points to draw last year. There are always the random tags though. Good luck!

So scrap the North what unit and outfitter would give me best odds in the rest of Arizona???? Remember that rack came from 16A

I don't have any experience in those units, or any others in AZ. I just know how to read TopRut and draw odds! :)

I've got elk and muley points tho. Have to cash them in sometime!

Hello Everyone as my name implies I'm obsessed with shooting a deer like the one pictured. I actually found those antlers on a dead deer in Arizona Unit 16B, Ive got at least 100 hours of glass in that unit since and never seen anything like him. Im 60 years old and been a spike shooting meat hunter the last 7-8 years. Im going to start putting in for the EARLY 12A West hunt. Are deer that size doable with a good guide in that early hunt or am i wasting my time and hopes,

I can hire a guide only once in my life,. Are there any other units in Arizona that could give up a deer like him that I could draw easier and get a good guide to help. If so shoot me Names and units in a PM, Just a rough estimate measure he is in the area of 180 gross

View attachment 145889
Exclusive pursuit outfitters kills some pretty big bucks on lesser units. Duane Adam’s kills good bucks too. He might be able to put you on an early buck that’s pretty good.

60 years old? No points? You'll be in for a long wait for a tag. Random tags usually have less than 1% draw odds, but you can hope.

Maybe spend your money on some kind of private land hunt? I don't know what that looks like in AZ, but maybe you go to CO (landowner tag) or UT (CWMU)... 180" bucks aren't common anywhere though... Good luck!!

bucks like that are killed every year, on every unit and season on the Kaibab. They may be few and far between, but the genetics are present and you may get lucky.

I perused some of my notes (both good and bad) and old posts on here about various AZ outfitters. Before you choose, do an internet search of them and poaching. And then ask them if they or anyone on their staff have poaching accusations or convictions.

Then make your decision.

I perused some of my notes (both good and bad) and old posts on here about various AZ outfitters. Before you choose, do an internet search of them and poaching. And then ask them if they or anyone on their staff have poaching accusations or convictions.

Then make your decision.
I’m sure they will readily admit to it.

Honestly you can kill a great deer in most units especially if you have a guide. I've seen bucks in the 170+ on almost every general hunt. Only able to wrap my tag around one of them though

I’m sure they will readily admit to it.
If they say no, and you've found info online, then you know they are lying, and it's time to move on. If they say yes, but that guide is no longer with us, or the ownership has changed since then, then you have to make your own decision.

Are those top rut draw odds that accurate ?
When I have compared them to the state reported numbers, they are correct. Depending on how the state data is reported, it can sometimes be difficult to tell within a point. For example, the state report may show that people with 10 points drew, but it may not report how many with 10 points didn't draw.

TopRut may say it took 11 points to draw, which it did take 11 points to be sure you would draw, but some people drew with 10. Make sense?

Another example is some states allow point averaging.

So bottom line, yes, they are accurate. The TR #s come from the state reported data.

Adams retired, either his son or son-in -law now run the business. they picked up where Mr. Adams left off. I think he still goes to the camps.
He retired when his hunting and guide licenses were revoked lol. He didn't just ride off into the sunset and turn things over to the kids.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom