12bw late tag

hornguy

Hello to all, I finally drew a 12bw late tag as a nr. I have been in the area many times looking for sheds and camping. I drew the 12ae late tag 20 years ago and had a blast. Just wanted to know if I should concentrate on the utah border, north end or the buckskin mts. Familiar with the unit just not in nov. when the rut is on. Any tips or advice would be great. Either by pm or any other means. Thanks Mark.

Had the tag a few times. Totally weather dependant for the Kaibab bucks. Pauns bucks will be down by late Oct, no matter what. Have seen big bucks killed In all areas

I hunted it a couple years ago. Great hunt. You’ll see bucks throughout the unit. Two takeaways from my experience:

1. Don’t shoot the first nice buck you see.

2. The best day is the last day of the season (more bucks arriving in the unit every day).

Congratulations on drawing the tag.
My son and I will be there hunting on the Utah side looking for a management Buck . We will be there from October 27 through November 6. If you’re around during that time give me a shout.

Thanks, but my hunt starts nov 20-29. Will get there a couple days earlier and see what is running around. Hope you have a great time.

@hornguy I disagree that its weather dependent. Pauns bucks will continue to filter down and the Kaibab resident herd is already there. Hunted it in 2018 and it was 70 degrees and hadn't rained in over 60 days. Deer were everywhere, and looked over a number of 180+ bucks to find the right one. This hunt isn't like a Colorado migration hunt, that needs the snow to push these deer down. DM me and i can share some intel.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds similar to the other 12w,12e hunts. Think I will concentrate on the middle section and move north as the season goes on.

Hopefully the little bit of moisture will knock the ash down......you look like a firefighter when you get back to camp if you wandered thru any of the burned areas.

What a zoo though....:confused:

I saw an outfitters camp with at least a dozen wall tents. We went by in the day, so there were only 20 trucks there. It was 1/4 mile long. Bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour. For reals.

Will post a pic for all that have helped. This is the late hunt so will see how many deer have moved in by then. I have been in and around 12b many times but always in the spring looking for sheds, except my late 12ae hunt many years ago. Sound like the burn has and will produce god results from years to come. Thanks for all the comments and good luck in November.

Just got back from 12B-W early, after 6 days of hunting. Saw tons of deer, quite a few young bucks. Only saw one big mature shooter, and that was on me for not getting him shot. Terribly dry, very dusty, and lots of people. Not a lot of shooting on the early part, and I think lots of people will hold off until the end or pass. There are so many does that the late hunt will be amazing!!!

Got a splatter of rain and 1/2” of snow on Sunday night up on Buckskin Plateau. Temps were 10-12 degrees on Mon and Tues. Helped a little with the dust, but melted and dried up Wed.

Blank, I drew the early hunt but had sickness in the family so I had to turn my tag back. Your description on the hunt sounded so much like when you were on the hunt in 06. I hope I can draw next year.

Steve: sorry to hear you had family issues. Hope everyone is well now. Maybe it was your tag I got!! Hahaha. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom