12pts Antelope

RookieWYhntr

Hi,

My son has 12pts for elk/deer/antelope. I in the other have 9pts for deer and 6pts for antelope.

So our current plan is to apply for unit 67 antelope this year with 9pts average for antelope and scout for deer (same unit) for the following year which we will average 11.5pts.

What do you think? Blow all our points for this unit (67/90)? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-19 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]I wouldn't cheapen your son's points. You have a good amount of points to hunt trophy deer and antelope. Besides very hard to get two top tier trophies on same hunt. Besides 90 deer is just a great hunt for a 145-160 class deer...better units out there.

>I wouldn't cheapen your son's points.

That's a nice way to say that and I totally agree, especially using his 12 pts on 67. With his points your son, with you there, can have an antelope hunt of a lifetime.

I'm not sure I'd worry about it for antelope, unless your son's only priority is to kill a Boone & Crockett buck. I'd go ahead and partner up for the antelope hunt. But I'm not sure I'd split the deer points. Your son could get a pretty darn good hunt with those 12 points.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-19 AT 11:56PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-19 AT 11:55?PM (MST)

I am in a similar boat, but was thinking about splitting my 12 points to hunt 68 with another. Is 57 or 58 that much better than 68?

The other option is the 58/101 option. He could get 58 lope and you could pick up a lope tag in 102 deer unit in addition and then could scout and decide on 102 vs. 101 for him. If you really want the same units and same tags, then you might have found the best option and the correct order.

If you haven't hunted antelope a bunch, I would do a second choice hunt in the eastern half of the state one year, then find a good unit for next year. If you realy just want a fun hunt, I'd pick a unit with low tag numbers and minimal private land - easy with 12pts, harder with 9 or 6. Not hard to scan the regs and draw odds. 67 has quite a few tags.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-19
>AT 11:56?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-19
>AT 11:55?PM (MST)

>
>I am in a similar boat,
>but was thinking about splitting
>my 12 points to hunt
>68 with another. Is 57
>or 58 that much better
>than 68?
>
>The other option is the 58/101
>option. He could get 58
>lope and you could pick
>up a lope tag in
>102 deer unit in addition
>and then could scout and
>decide on 102 vs. 101
>for him. If you really
>want the same units and
>same tags, then you might
>have found the best option
>and the correct order.

I'm think the same unit for antelope but not for deer. 102 looks good. Will have him apply for 102 next year for deer. He'll have 13pts by then. When is the best time to scout for deer in 102 you think? What month that is...

He will be doing a rifle hunt only.

BluffGruff,

Not sure if this was intended for me or the original poster...also sorry to the original poster for jumping in on your post...just happens I am in the same boat with max lope and deer points and trying to figure out if I should use them or split them with a family member/friend or son in a few years.

I have hunted 67 and 61 (as well as a few leftover units on the east side) and did not see a lot of trophy difference between the 67 and 61. Maybe I hit 67 on a good year and 61 on a bad year though? That is why I questioned whether I should use my max points on a unit like 57 or 58 or split with my father or son in the future and hunt 68 and try for two good goats in a week versus one for me in 57/58? I would like to shoot a Booner like everyone else and would plan on hunting hard all day for a week to try and find one to my liking.

Thanks!

I am definitely not the person to ask about when to scout 102 so take this for what it is worth....I would think either early in September before they strip their velvet, right before the hunt starts (hunt is last two weeks of October), or in the winter...I would think scouting during the hunt wouldn't be great unless it was to ask other hunters how they are doing and what the quality of bucks are that year?

I would probably focus on finding a big lope then after your son shoots one, go and scout 102 to see what you think and if you want to burn his points there?

You could also burn your lope points on a neighboring unit and get a few days of hunting in for a lope for yourself if you have the time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom