132 Grant Range

silverstatehunter

Anyone been around the Grant range maybe Troy Peak, or Timber Mountain area in for early rifle deer? My brother and I are debating weather to really focus on this area for a good buck or head up north with the other hunters in 131. We are serious hunters that wear our eyes and boots out.
Will we be looking for a needle in a haystack down there before the migration hits or will we at least see a few deer a day? Any help would be great. I can trade info for a good a majority of other hunts around the state.
Were planing on scouting a few days before the season as well.
Feel free to PM me.

I wish I could give you some first hand knowledge. I have always wanted to lay eyes on that country south of Troy Mountain down to Stairstep Mountain. Unfortunately, I'm just too old to get my body into that kind of country any more. If I was young and full of vinegar, I would spend my scouting days down there and try to turn up a good buck. There well be very few hunters and less deer than in 131. If you don't see what you like, you can always pack up and move into 131. There are a ton of hunters in 131 but there are also a ton of deer. It's pretty easy to figure out where to be in 131. Just get a mile off the road and be patient with your glassing. Last time I was up there, I killed a 29 1/2 inch 4X3 on the sixth day. Most of the hunters never left the road and most hunted on the weekends. Whatever you decide, it will be a fun hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-14 AT 05:27PM (MST)[p]send me an email....I do know that area pretty well

Next time your trying to be slick....Try
being slicker than a 6 year old.

These same thoughts have been running through my head all summer. I can't picture deer wanting to move further south when the highs are in the 70s still but people I keep hearing they do!

Thank you everyone for all the help. It was a great hunt and my brother and I had a blast. We spotted 4 bucks the day before the opener that had one great buck in it. Opening morning we put them to bed and made a stock. We got right where we wanted to be and ended up busting 3 of the bucks out of their beds. Unfortunately the big buck was no where to be found and somehow disappeared during our stock. With about a 5 second window my brother decided to take this decent 4x3. We also found a couple great Elk sheds.

9722photo_1.jpg

3594photo_2.jpg

We hunted entirely in 132. Only saw one other hunter and the game warden. There was a big new fire up there that seemed to scorch a big portion of the upper 1/3 of the mountains.

That is a cool looking buck, very unique eye guards. I hunted that area several years ago and got a decent 4 point in the foothills almost directly across the valley from Sunnyside. I have looked at the high country in that area on the map several times and would love to check it out. Nice looking elk shed by the way! Did you see many elk?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom