140gr 7mm too light for Elk?

bowhunter223

I have a huge stockpile of factory ammo in 7mm Rem Mag., Federal Trophy Copper 140gr. bullets. (They are supposed to be real similar to the Barnes TTSX..?)

Your thoughts on this load for elk.... Is it too light? Accuracy is not an issue with this load and my rifle, and I'm real comfortable with my ability to place it.

Even though I know a 150-180gr would be better, I'd like to use up some of this ammo if I can this year...this was my choice for deer last year.

Thanks in advance!

Plenty a lead 223! Especially in conjunction with your expressed confidence and ability with your rifle! Where u hit em is more important than what u hit em with. IMHO

That's a great load for elk. The Barnes-like bullet should out-penetrate standard cup-and-core bullets.
You're good-to-go.
Zeke

I can't see any reason you couldn't use that round. Probably shoots flat as a pancake so you can hit 'em where you want to hit 'em...

Love my 7mm Mag... :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

My daughter killed her 360" bull last year with a 140gr. 7mm at extended range. Love that caliber and love the 140gr silver tip bullet!

That is what I use and have had no problem. The last bull I show went 20 feet and tipped over stone cold.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

The beauty of those type of bullets is they start at 140 grains and stay there. I would not hesitate to use them.

Absolutely big enough. I've killed two bull elk with 139 gr hornady 7mm, my dad and brother have killed several with that same round also. There's no better round for elk in my opinion, very flat shooting and plenty of lead.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom