141-162

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-11 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]I've hunted this unit twice. First time about 5 years ago, and I elk hunt in the area every year. Quality, and quantity is way down. Used to be in my opinion a top 5 unit in Wyo. Now a 150-160 is pretty standard. Of course there are 180+ bucks there. But let me assure you they are getting tough to find. But I see just as big or bigger bucks in H. The Migration part of the hunt is cool "IF" it snows and you get weather. Just my thoughts take it for what its worth. I do spend alot of time every year up in that area.

Areas 141-162 is Region H.... I hunt there. I own a house just outside of Bondurant. You are right about a 150-160 buck being good. They aren't easy to find but can definitely be found with a little hiking. To get to the big boys, you are going to be doing a good amount of hiking/packing in.

The lower parts get hammered pretty good you have to go deep into it and that should get away from the hunting pressure to see better bucks. IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

In region H we hiked in 3 miles to one big basin and there were 17 of us hunting it so expect lots of company where ever you go.

That the point of goin in deep 8-10 miles if you want to thin the hunters out.

I've seen way bigger than 150-160, but guys aren't shooting them off of the road anymore with the earlier dates. Like been said before though, general units in H are pretty similar.

some of this makes me laugh, go deeper is funny, the biggest range of mountains in this region is the Wind Rivers,you can hike twenty miles back in and you won't find the biggest bucks, in fact I doubt you could even find a deer. 8 to ten miles in the Gro Ventre range and you would probably find horses and hunters. I know the son of a long time outfitter in the area, and they get the bucks fairly close, but they know where they live, I would say it takes decades of knowledge to take advantage of that area since the dates have been moved up so early.

I don't know anything about 141 and 162 but I see the season went to the 31st last year on National Forest land. Is there no good hunting on National Forest land that late in October?

We hunted it in 08 and passed alot of hunters camps by going in by horses to the 10 1/2 mile range(camped in a old outfitter campsite) and the only other guys we saw was on horses and a couple of hikers that was passing thru and we did see some great deer that was farther in by glassing the wilderness area from 2-3 miles away, we hunted right on the edge of the wilderness area and the amount of deer we saw was better then the lower part of the mountain. So all I can say if you hunt the opener, I wouldn't look to find those same bucks at a lower part of the mountain.But Big Bucks are where you find them just like anything else they can be any and everywhere.

I had a fun time with my family last year on this unit. Killed a 165-170 buck. Hear the winter is taking a pretty big toll on them now? Think I will just hunt H general season from now on.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom