143C-John Day Canyon late deer

Aaron

Well I finally drew a OR tag after many years of applying. I was wonder if anyone out there had any experience with this new hunt. I believe its been going for 2 years this might be the 3rd year offered. I have access to some private property that is why I sent but would like to talk to others that had this tag and there experiences. Its hard to come by so figured someone might help out if they had good knowledge of this hunt. I have realistic expectations and I'm going to let my son hunt on my tag. I will use the jr hunter program. We will still be looking for the best deer we can find. I'm not sure I would find a buck to really get me excited but my kid would be jacked with a nice mature 4 point buck. Thanks for any info.

I haven't hunted this hunt but I bird hunt in it Nov-Jan . access is key, but unless your access has a lot of acres it will only do you so much good. as you probably know floating the river is the most common way to hunt this area for anything.

I don't see a lot of bucks and few of those are much good. like anywhere in OR deer numbers are low. but there have been book bucks taken on the JD in the past so there's always hope.

If you can get anyone at ODFW out of their chair for a minimal fee they'll send you the list of last years hunters. it might be worth trying to get.

Was told a couple years ago that all such requests were handled as FOI requests and had a $25 or $35 processing fee. Licensed taxidermists used to be able to access that info for $10 per species but that may have changed. Might be worth a call to your favorite taxidermist. Any hunt with much trophy potential usually brings several brochures in the mail for the lucky tagholders so some taxidermists definitely have the list.

I don't know the guy personally, but know of a really great buck that got killed on that tag last year. Private access will be key. From the story I had heard, he has some ground and hunted areas for a lot of the season and was having hardly any luck at all. Reached out to some other landowners and ended up killing a buck that went well north of 180", picture I saw was in a field with pivots tracks (only real intel I can provide). Sounds like it was the only real "shooter buck" he saw. Good luck and hope you and your boy have a great time!!

There aren't many pivots in that hunt boundry . and they're all private land of course.

If you want private land access I'd get on it pretty soon.

thanks for replies. I have one large ranch already locked up. would love to get info on the pivot ranch in that unit. thanks

Back
Top Bottom