15 muzzy late Elk hunt

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
Any of you ever had this hunt? i just want all you honey holes and secret spots! thats all! no really just want to get a idea what too expect on this hunt on the weather and can i kill a 310 bull with this tag? thanks

Do some scouting and learn the area a bit its a huge unit,I will be more than happy to assist you in September sharing some insight on where you should go. As for 310, I'm not sure why you could not get atleast a 340+.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16 AT 04:43PM (MST)[p]It can be a tough hunt. Anything can happen with the weather. The Bulls will all be in the rough country, get to a high point and glass, glass,and glass some more. My son and I did that hunt fully guided and came out empty-handed. Could have killed smaller bulls but chose not to. Did see a 350+ bull though

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]Good bulls in 15 seen them crossing the hiway from 16 to 15.and 15 to 16

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16 AT 07:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16 AT 07:12?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16 AT 07:11?PM (MST)

Drew that tag 2 years ago. It's a great hunt - you will/should work your butt off getting into some of the more remote country but you will see quite a few good bulls and maybe a couple great bulls. Saw lots of 280-300, a few 310-320, a few 330+, and ended up killing a 344. Never did see anything over 350 but one guy we knew killed a 360. There's a lot of country to look at and the big bulls are definitely there but pretty hard to dig out. Best strategy in my mind is to get into some good country where you can glass/see a lot in the primetime morning/evening and see what you can dig up.

5641img0527.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16
>AT 07:12?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16
>AT 07:11?PM (MST)

>
>Drew that tag 2 years ago.
>It's a great hunt -
>you will/should work your butt
>off getting into some of
>the more remote country but
>you will see quite a
>few good bulls and maybe
>a couple great bulls. Saw
>lots of 280-300, a few
>310-320, a few 330+, and
>ended up killing a 344.
>Never did see anything over
>350 but one guy we
>knew killed a 360. There's
>a lot of country to
>look at and the big
>bulls are definitely there but
>pretty hard to dig out.
>Best strategy in my mind
>is to get into some
>good country where you can
>glass/see a lot in the
>primetime morning/evening and see what
>you can dig up.
>
>
6827img0527.jpg

THANKS BIGHORN! Thats a awesome bull buddy! congrats to you my friend....

>>>I take it your not on
>>>the ban NM wagon anymore.
>>>
>>
>>Is that for me? lol
>
>
>Yeah
>
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=3008&forum=DCForumID34&archive=yes

lmao! nice that was 5 years ago and i am not a utard anymore! Yeah i live in Arizona now and i figure i got pretty good in nm for elk and your state is easier to draw than mine for nr! i feel bad for anyone who wants to draw here!!!!!! lol so thank you nm for the awesome tag!

>Its all good but you criticize,my
>fellow NM bros but yet
>ask for help in the
>next breath.Now your shiteing on
>your old state to find
>honey holes.Too funny guys like
>you I try to stay
>away from.

I really don't want some honey hole maze! Well don't get me wrong, Utah has some of the best elk hunting out there! at the time of that bill i felt it was just wrong and now i just don't care because I'm too old and it really don't matter because it just a tag! I hope you drew a good hunt this year and wish you nothing but luck if you did!

I've been hunting unit 15 for the last ten years(through landower tags)and I've always hunted the first season.When i first started hunting unit 15 I'd see 300"plus bulls all day long,but after the wolf's were released Iwatched that herd go to $hit.I went out a week early last year to scout some new areas and only saw a handful of 300'plus bulls.when then hunt started i went back to my old reliable spot and saw one bull that would go a little over 300,a 280 bull and one monster bull(the biggest one Ive ever seen in 15 that would go about 370 to 380.I hunted that bull all week but could not close enough to get a good shoot because he had 30 cows with him and thats a lot of eyes,ears and noses to get into muzzy range.I hope you drew that tag and didnt have to pay for it because that unit has been destoyed in the last ten years,I'll never go back again,because it's only going to get worse,but if you got a tag for that unit i would hunt the thickest,steepest place you can find and you might get lucky

>I've been hunting unit 15 for
>the last ten years(through landower
>tags)and I've always hunted the
>first season.When i first started
>hunting unit 15 I'd see
>300"plus bulls all day long,but
>after the wolf's were released
>Iwatched that herd go to
>$hit.I went out a week
>early last year to scout
>some new areas and only
>saw a handful of 300'plus
>bulls.when then hunt started i
>went back to my old
>reliable spot and saw one
>bull that would go a
>little over 300,a 280 bull
>and one monster bull(the biggest
>one Ive ever seen in
>15 that would go about
>370 to 380.I hunted that
>bull all week but could
>not close enough to get
>a good shoot because he
>had 30 cows with him
>and thats a lot of
>eyes,ears and noses to get
>into muzzy range.I hope you
>drew that tag and didnt
>have to pay for it
>because that unit has been
>destoyed in the last ten
>years,I'll never go back again,because
>it's only going to get
>worse,but if you got a
>tag for that unit i
>would hunt the thickest,steepest place
>you can find and you
>might get lucky

Thank you for the info! Yeah I did draw it this year but if I could had bought the lo tag I may have bought one and still might for my nephew if it is at a good price!

Abiggerfish2fry, I drew a late muzzy hunt in unit 15 as well. I've never been there. If you or anyone in this string is willing to share any tips or advice, I'd be very appreciative. I plan on doing the work and scouting, studying maps, and all that, but it's a very large area. Can anyone recommend a few starting points for scouting, what to expect, etc.? Much appreciated.

>Abiggerfish2fry, I drew a late muzzy
>hunt in unit 15 as
>well. I've never been there.
>If you or anyone in
>this string is willing to
>share any tips or advice,
>I'd be very appreciative. I
>plan on doing the work
>and scouting, studying maps, and
>all that, but it's a
>very large area. Can anyone
>recommend a few starting points
>for scouting, what to expect,
>etc.? Much appreciated.

pm sent!

I hunted 15 last year for the 2nd muzzy hunt, saw only 3 bulls, opening day say a 340 plus w/3 cows, than a satellite bull with 10 cows and a 280 with 5 cows, no shots at either one of them. Saw and heard over 7 wolves, saw over 300 cows, came home empty.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom