15x glass comparisons

nvmuley

Hi, I'd sure appreciate some comments from experienced users on the three major makers of 15x bino's: Swarovski, Leica and Minox. Glass clarity, overall construction quality and warranty service are all important. This is an expensive purchase.
thanks much,
Steve

All three make good optics. I would go to a store that would let you take them outside close to dark and compare them side by side. This will also get a good idea of which one feels best in your hands.
Unless you are going to mount them one a tripod I wouldn't get anything larger than a 10X.

I looked through and used the Leica 12x50 BN, Docter 15x60, Zeiss 15x60, Swarovski 15x56 and Optolyth 15x63 before making a decision. I bought the Swarovskis and have not regretted the purchase for one second ever. Most of the guys I hunt with have the Zeiss 15x60's because they were the best you could get 20 years ago when they bought theirs. Now they all agree that the Swaro's are just as clear for a few hundred dollars less. You will need a tripod and rock colid mounting system with any and all of them. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Bret M.

Yes, for sure they will be tripod mounted. Minox is discontinuing their 15x's, so those are on sale at most places. Saving maybe $800 over the other two brands. But like everything else, if the quality isn't there it's not worth it in the long run. I don't know much about Minox's warranty and their reputation for repairs. Leica has the 10-15 power ones. Have read good reviews on those also. And having both 10 and 15 power sounds like a good idea. Swarovski has the reputation and a good warranty. It's always good to ask for "real world" experience people have had with companies and equipment. Ads are just words!
thanks again

I am a Leica fan, but all are good optics. My buddy has a pair of 10x Minox and loves them. I also know he paid a lot less for them than Leica or Swarovski. As far as Minox's warranty, I'm not for sure, but I would assume they would be the same. Minox is really trying to build their reputation as a higher end optic so I bet they would bend over backwards for you is something was wrong. For an $800 savings they might be worth it. I would still test them out, as well as the other brands and see what you think. If you end up not liking Minox, I would recommend Leica.

Don't forget to look at Fujinon. I have and older pair of 14x70's. I didn't get them because they were a few hunnert cheaper than the others (I was prepared to spend the $$$), I got them because they were better. I spent a day behind them and Zeiss's in the desert before I bought. There may be better stuff out there these days though. Damn I'm glad I'm not shopping for big glasses these days. Cha-ching. ;-)

I have a pair of Fujinon 10 x 42. Excellent! However, I ordered the 15 power, but the interpupillary distance adjustment did not fit my tiny face. So, I sent 'em back.

I now own 15x56 Swarovski. They are the most awesome glasses I have seen.

dds/Darren

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom