15x56 Binoculars

Trophy_Taker

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-15 AT 07:49PM (MST)[p]I'm considering adding a pair of 15x56 binoculars to my spotting scope and 10x42 binoculars. My main concern is buying them to find out that I rarely use them.

Do those of you that run a 10, 15, spotter line up find you use the 15's enough to justify having purchased them?

I had a pair of cheapo 10x binos I used along with my Swaro spotter . Once I got my hands on a pair of 15's , I NEVER used the 10's again . Im sure the 10's may be great for some folks , but for my hunting style and terrain , I bring the 15's every time .

I use the 15's a lot, They are a very useful tool. I still use my 10's some, but most of the time I carry my 15x56.

Use them a lot. Recommend a tripod, though. I use 8x42 and 20x60 80mm spotter as well. 15x56 are perfect for in between the two.

Best money I've ever spent. Still carry my 10s around my neck and have the spotter for the pack, but would be lost without my 15s.

A good pair of 15's on a tripod is one of life little pleasures that should not be missed! Pure hunting bliss, even when you aren't seeing much...

2a0fcsk.gif

If you buy a quality pair of Swarovski or equivalent 15's, you may very well stop carrying a spotting scope. They must be tripod mounted, but are very good and useful, just not handy like a smaller pair of binos around your neck.
Bill

1+ to what 257tony said ..I would be lost with out my 15X german Minox...I bought mine for $600 (amazon) couple months ago ( outdoormans out of phx az rates them a best buy )..but have been using "big eyes " for almost 20 years on a tripod..hardly ever use a spotting scope any more..I also have 10x swaro El-ranges I use..coues52

I agree also, My 15's are the first thing to be packed for a hunt or just plain glassing. I also recommend the tripod. Go look through the new Swaro 15's and you won't be disappointed. I was once in the same boat wondering if they would be worth it, best money I have ever spent. I used to use the spotting scope on 20x to scan ridges, NEVER again with the 15s. Being able to use both eyes and actually have a field of view is invaluable.

Just to add another thing, it's tough to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it though. When using 15's on a tripod, it doesn't feel like you are using magnification to look at things that are far away, it feels like the mountain just somehow got closer to you. Tough to explain, but you'll see what I mean!

When I use mine I feel like the Great eye of Sauron zooming in on Frodo when he puts the ring on lol.... I even say "I see you" in the Sauron voice when I find a Buck.

Don't judge me

2a0fcsk.gif

Absolutely agree with Tony and the rest...it'll blow your mind how much you've been missing. My 10x Swaros are always around my neck, but I sit and glass with the 15x Swaros on a tripod and then when I find something, I'll zoom in with the scope.

I just bought the new Swarovski 15x56's. I have only went out and looked through them in the front yard. My buddy has the older version and I was sold when I looked through them when hunting. I don't think you can go wrong. I will post when I go in the field with them.

All good advice above . I have 10x42 bino , 20-60x80 spotter ,and 15x56 bino all swaro . I would pick the 15's over the other 2 most days the exception is Bow hunts , P and J or tight area's were I can't see more than 200 yards then I use the 10x42's .I've been a hunting guide in NM for 14 years and love my 15's . I use a Bog-pod for a tripod the rifle cradle comes off and I have a pistol grip that fits in . You will need a tripod !

Everybody seems to be in agreement on this one. I agree I have Leica 10x40 and 15X binocs..as well as their spot scope..15 X you will use alot in open country.. you need tripod ..get outdoorsman set up and you will be set for life..buy the best and you only cry once !

I used to have a pair.......My son and his buddies seemed to think that they were perfect for checking out the sunbathers a couple houses down LOL. Years ago

I can not imagine not having my 15's....
I wish I had gotten them years sooner...but I still carry all 3 optics. The 15 's get 90% of the glassing light but the 95 objective makes the final call. I love my outdoors man's stool. I glass better/longer out of the snow rocks and cactus. .buy the outdoors man tripod adapter price the whole set up with them.

You get spoiled when packing 15s,10s just won't show you the detail at long distances. Make yourself a walking stick tall enough to rest binos on. I bought some vortex kaibabs and have been very happy with them. Kaibabs have forgiving eye relief for eyeglass wearers. They are a little smaller and lighter than swaro. Get a good vino harness.

257, Thanks for the Paypal warning. So what is a good price range for used 15's? $1,400 - $1,500?

I have the Leica duovid 10+15. Great for a quick look but super on 15x on the tripod! Everyone should read Ryan Hatch's article on glassing in the latest issue of Muley Crazy magazine.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-16 AT 04:45PM (MST)[p]I bought the 15Xs in the add. Offered to pay $40 for the Paypal fees. The seller had no problem using paypal gifts and services. Awesome pair of binoculars for under $1300 delivered.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-16
>AT 04:45?PM (MST)

>
>I bought the 15Xs in the
>add. Offered to pay
> $40 for the Paypal
>fees. The seller had no
>problem using paypal gifts and
>services. Awesome pair of
>binoculars for under $1300 delivered.
>

Yes, that is a good buy. And good on you for ponying up the few extra bucks to be covered in case the seller doesn't deliver. Enjoy!!
2a0fcsk.gif

I'll probably be the only desenter BUT:

I love my 15X56 Swaros yet with Vortex Razor HD 10Xs and a Vortex Razor HD spotter, I don't carry the 15Xs much on elk hunts anymore.

Prior to having a good spotter, the 15Xs always got packed but I feel I can spot elk at most distances with the 10Xs and if I'm looking that far away, the spotter works nicely. For some time I carried a tri-pod for both pieces of glass which added 6 lbs (15Xs and Tri-pod).

Now that I bought a quality, interchangable tri-pod head I can change out the 15Xs and spotter in seconds, plus I eliminated the weight of a second tri-pod therefore the 15Xs will get carried on deer hunts but I still feel that on elk hunts it's not worth the weight.

At 56, every lbs counts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom