16 archery Deer

nmyotebuster

Good Morning Gents,

First year I have put in for deer in a long time, and I was hoping it would compliment an elk tag, as I put in for 16A ( and have hunted 3/5 years there, knowing the area fairly well ).

But alas, the gods of the draw decided a deer tag was enough ( Sept 1-24, and Jan 1-15).

With the cost of gas now-a-days, I thought maybe hunting the 16's closer to home may be a bit more affordable ( I am from the ABQ area ).

I am looking at 16e and there are a few areas that interest me, but I also see it is both flat and open for the most part, and heavily checker-boarded.

I am willing to hike as far as it takes, and bivy hunting is a style I very much enjoy, so getting away from the roads is not a problem.

I plan on a scouting trip or 2 in both July and August.

Any info would be appreciated, for ANY of the 16 units.

Thanks in advance,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

i drew the same hunt and unfortunately i will be deployed till mid december, but at least i get to hunt in January! ive hunted 16D/E for elk and havent seen many deer, but considering we were into elk every day that makes sense. being that i will be gone until december i will be doing mostly E-scouting and watching this thread... good luck!

NMYB, I pm'ed you. You can't camp in 16E but there are some good deer in the unit.

Focus on the sagebrush and oak trees and you will find deer in E. Depending on monsoons or not water could be a major factor this year.

www.streamflies.com

Thanks trout,

PM returned.

Chops,

First off thank you for your service! If I get any info, or earn some info in Sept
I will make sure to share.

NM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chops, I'll give you the same info I give NMYB as the buck I've watched in E for a couple of years is wiley and needs to get stuck with an arrow if he made it through this winter. Maybe you guys can gang up, find him and kill him. He's a biggun for any unit anywhere...

www.streamflies.com

awesome thanks! believe me i like doing my own work and definitely not asking for handouts. unfortunately this year handicaps me a little. no excuses though. thanks for your help!

I also just got back from deployment are you at Cannon i will be gone by December again so no late hunt for me, I have to get it done in sept.

I posted this pic a while ago and I'll give you guys specific directions as to where I've seen him the last couple of years. I've got more pictures of him somewhere but I've seen this deer in the same canyon at difference times of year. This was taken the last weekend of August, 2010 when I was looking for elk. I see other deer in the same canyon pretty frequently and will email you with specifics.

GilaBuck2010.jpg

www.streamflies.com

HOLY SCHMOLY!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a fan of E at all...but that's completely just my opinion. Too much private and the land you can hunt is overrun with hunters. Not to mention you'll need to throw that bivy sack on your back and hike in a few miles to even get started with game. I prefer C and A for deer. I hunt A hard for elk and although the deer population isn't overwhelming..there are lots of pockets of deer that hold nice bucks...and they usually stay in the same general areas from year to year. The same goes with C. I drew that tag as well and will be on the A and C border in September chasing a few monsters I've seen in both units the past few yrs. Not to mention listening to the elk bugle and chasing a big bear I've got spotted as well.

But, unless that entire area gets some rain soon...everything will change and be centralized around water. Good luck. Hope you stick one!!

P.S...on the January hunt last year...I only went one weekend because my buddies were sending me the following info: It got down to -30 degrees with snow and averaged right around 0 for a week. Frickin freezing. One of there diesels gelled and wouldn't start, busted pipes, water coolers, frostbite conditions...etc. Everything but gas was done for!
So...I think I'm gonna skip that late hunt and try september...not to mention I have a rock goat to chase in january anyhow!

Good luck!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom