16 muley muzzle tag. I'm lost.

garneroutlaw

Hi guys. This is my 3rd year drawing for deer. This time a muzzle in 16. I haven't had anyone to learn from and have been learning a little bit every year. I've been WORKING MY ASS OFF- 6 miles with 2,000 elevation gain is an easy day. I WANT TO LEARN. But I already know I'm eating tag soup again unless I get some help. I might just donate the tag if another scout goes this poorly. I just spent 4 days down in 16E and 16C, and I just don't even know if I can justify doing another trip without further guidance (I'm in Albuquerque). I mean the single shed I found was the tiniest spike! Then the wild asses mocked me Saturday night by coming into my camp and literally screaming at 2 AM. Last year both my game cams prior to season opener were savaged by a bear and taken offline the night after setting them up >.<. A few years back I came across a muley skull in the Cebolla Wilderness that measured by my calculations just over 165 (probably a victim of predation). The antelope I saw Saturday in 16E was literally a boon and crockett. It's like I can't catch a break. Anyone want to meet up for breakfast, go on a scouting trip for a weekend, whatever - I'll buy the beer. I am equipped nicely. I'm even curious on any books you guys would recommend. I haven't been able to draw for elk, but man I have seen probably hundreds of elk and I haven't even seen a mule deer buck live. This trip again: 12 wild asses, 20 antelope, 15 elk, 1 doe, no bucks. I put up 3 cams pretty deep into 16C after 16E just looked utterly abysmal, but I am not optimistic about them at all. Anyone need a buddy this year on some scout trips?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Yea. I just don't understand. There was a ton of forage for deer in 16C - clover, mohogany, strawberries, highly desired forbs. All untouched. I purchased Public Land Mulies by David Long. I read that is a classic as well.

It sounds like you're doing it right, but it could also be your timing. I used to see a lot of nice deer in 16e, but ever since the wolves moved in about four or five years ago, sightings have been much more scarce. I don't know whether the wolves killed them all, but I do think the deer may have left the area. It's also been awhile since I've seen donkeys there, and I was wondering of the wolves wiped them out too. Based on your post, obviously not.

What I might suggest is learning to hunt more with your binos and a little less with your feet. Get up on a high spot and glass, glass, and then glass some more. Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back, and then glass hard in all the shadows. Get comfortable glassing out to a mile or even 1.5 miles. It's amazing to me how many times I've glassed over an area and thought nothing was there, only to catch myself, and force myself to look more carefully in each of the shadows, and then see a deer there that I almost passed over without knowing it was there.

Your going to have a hard time finding bucks this time of year. Wait to start your scouting until August, give the rains a chance to hit. There just isn't a lot of deer in 16 and is always a tuff hunt. Your tag is good for the whole unit so don't get overly focused on 16E.

Here's a hint for you
1) Water is a key resource in the Gila.
2)And if your not seeing a ton of elk, your not glassing good enough

...and don't give up on that tag that you drew. There are still some bruiser bucks in 16. Despite what I stated above about deer being more scarce, I would still love to have your tag (16 rifle deer was my second choice). I didn't draw a deer tag this year, so I wish I had your problem... :)

I put my bino's on tri pod a few yrs ago along with a spotting scope and a small cushion to sit on and I always wear a hoodie to block out back lighting and will sit in a good glassing spot for hours. It's amazing what u can see when your eyes become " bino eyes".

August - September deer are the most patternable. Wait till that time frame to scout. Right now the bucks just getting some growth. It’s hot they aren’t out for long so unless your just trying to learn the territory I’d hold off on going out for time being. Those semi bald hills have more animals on them than it appears...

If you see a buck even a little guy they are never alone at this time of year they are bachelor’d up. So this also will help when looking for bucks.

There really are not high concentrations of deer in the Gila, so I'm not surprised you are not seeing many deer. The good thing about the Gila is that I do think there are a reasonable number of 5+ year old bucks. There are many good books on Mule Deer. I really enjoyed David Longs book. Walter Pathero, Robbie Deming, Mike Eastmans and others have good books. A big part of being successful at hunting for older bucks is the mental game. It is hard to keep going out at working hard day after day when you are not seeing much. If you put in the time and effort I think you have a reasonable chance of finding a nice buck, even if you don't you can still enjoy the experience of getting out. There aren't many, but don't be surprised if you come across a coues buck.

There really are not high concentrations of deer in the Gila, so I'm not surprised you are not seeing many deer. The good thing about the Gila is that I do think there are a reasonable number of 5+ year old bucks. There are many good books on Mule Deer. I really enjoyed David Longs book. Walter Pathero, Robbie Deming, Mike Eastmans and others have good books. A big part of being successful at hunting for older bucks is the mental game. It is hard to keep going out at working hard day after day when you are not seeing much. If you put in the time and effort I think you have a reasonable chance of finding a nice buck, even if you don't you can still enjoy the experience of getting out. There aren't many, but don't be surprised if you come across a coues buck.
Might see a big coues if you're in the right area. Shoot him if you do.

Last edited:

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom