160gr. .338win mag

coueskiller

i was wondering if i would be wasting my time reloading 160gr. xbullets for my .338 to use deer hunting. i would be hunting N. AZ. (if i get the tag!!!!) will i be able to get good groups with these bullets or am i wasting my time with these light bullets.i shoot a sako if that matters?? i just thought it would be nice to have the extra speed for those long shots. also will these bullets perform and give me a clean kill? any info anybody has would be nice.

I'm confused as to why you;d want to shoot 160 gr out of a 338. makes no sense to me. You'd be better off shooting a 7 mag or a 300 mag.. I just sold my 338, It was a good gun, but I think the caliber is overrated (and my 340 wthby blows it away). I wasn't aware that there were 160 gr bulletsfor a 338.

why shoot whitetail bullets out of a cape buffalo rifle? i agree with cooter. the .338 is made for big bullets. it'll shoot little bullets, but why not get a rifle designed for speed. the .338 is a fine cartridge when you use it the way it was intended. it will work fine for anything, but if you want to shoot long ranges across canyons, it ain't my first choice. for ranges out to 400 yds or so it is a great gun. but like most rifles, after that it drops like a rock. you won't see real good performance out of a 160 gr .338. bullet will be real short and not too stable. it'll work. but i'd get something else if i wanted to shoot lighter bullets.

thanks for the info guys, that is what i figured so i guess i will stick with the 225gr. failsafes, and maybe try some of the lighter bullets for plinking around.
thanks
geoff

i have had good success with the barns xlc 185gr. good grouping for a hunting bullet and very good trajectory for this caliber. +.9" 100yds to -32" 500yds. zero @ 200yds.

hope this helps,
jason

thanks jason that looks good, if you dont mind what is the load you use, maybe that would give me a starting point. thank you for the info...

geoff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom