16A/16D Collins Park

coryb

Heading down over the weekend for an epic elk hunt. I have a family member with a 16A tag and another with a 16D tag. I am coming along strictly as a mule. We are going to set up a base camp in the Collins Park area so we can camp together and be close to the areas in each unit we have lined up to hunt.

For those of you more familiar with this area than me, which is a better access route: driving south from the VLA and then through 16E or coming in through Winston, beaverhead, and then shooting a bit north to Collins Park. I have always come in from the VLA because I love the long dirt road and lots of antelope. We will be towing several small campers so less dirt road and closer last minute fuel in Winston sounds good.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cory

Neither lots of miles on dirt roads not real suitable if your pulling a trailer . But Depends on where your coming from.

If your coming from north I would go to Datil, take hwy 12 To Bursom rd (road # 28 I think). It will take you to Collins park

What muleman said. Not sure exactly of the Forest Road number (it is the Bursum Road) but can check at home this evening. Also, there used to be a small 1 or 2 pump gas "station" (pay with credit/debit card only) in Old Horse Springs were you can top off your tanks before heading down the Bursum Road.

Sounds like a fun time to be a mule!

Apache creek will get you there. Or if you are coming from the west you can go threw Reserve and that road is paved most of the way.

Thanks for the info. Is Bursum Road easy to follow all the way to Collins Park? On google earth it looks pretty small with many other roads forking off of it. If thats the best access we will take it but need to be prepared to get all the way to camp.

Thanks
Cory

yes, the Bursum Road is easy to follow and is a pretty good dirt road. It goes all the way from state road 12 through the Gila and comes out at US180 just north of Glenwood. Taking the Bursum will be the fastest way to Collins Park.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom