16A 2nd bow hunt

kmontez

Spend September 12th ? 15th out in 16A in New Mexico. We saw 1 big bull, my brother had him walk right up to him while we were on a water hole. 20 yard shot, he didn't nock his arrow all the way (I guess trying to make no noise? I was pissed!!) and when he drew back his arrow fell of the string hit his limb and the bull ran the opposite direction. I was hoping if something happened the bug would run towards me, but as much luck as those big boys have he went away from both of us to give us no other chance. We only saw that one bull, the bugling was nearly non existent. Only early right at day break and late right at sun down is when you would hear some bugles. I guess the third hunt guys may be better off. I was pretty disappointed that we didn't even see a cow. Seems like the elk disappeared or something in that unit. We had the same problem last year on a December hunt, although we finally killed one cow on the last day driving back to camp (LUCKED OUT). Not sure what is going on, as they used to be pretty concentrated in the past. It was fun though no doubt, no regrets~! Maybe next year!

Glad to hear you got back safe and atleast enjoyed the hunt some.Did you guys see a bunch of hunters and if so were they seeing any ? Thanks for sharing the hunt here , wished you guys would have got one but thats huntin eh...

Well we did see a few hunters, it was funny actually every evening it seemed like one or 2 bulls would bugle and every hunter around would hear it and in the morning all the hunters would be in that general area. I guess since there was not much rutting activity, everyone was after the only ones that were bugling.

was scouting for deer in 16a must of seen 12elk bull half of them good 6x6, this was on the 19/20 sept. most of them of the road, big one in turkey mount. saw him at noon in the water tank

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom